5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

etorque removal - what’s involved?

U

User_3336

I stand corrected. (y)
Here's what I last read...

"About the size of a small suitcase, the air-cooled battery plant is mounted to the interior rear wall of Ram 1500's cabin. The battery pack's case is insulated to hush the noise generate by the dual cooling fans. Cooling air is then drawn from the truck interior and released through the built-in cabin exhausters."

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should probably just sell your truck to me, just to be safe.

I'm not just saying that because long bed flame red Hemis are hard to find anymore, or anything.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can disable stop/start with a device called autostop eliminator. It was the best hundred bucks I spent when I had a truck with etorque...
You can also turn it off with the button. Much cheaper

dajogejr

Reaction score
Honest question for those that either permanently or each time you get in your truck, disable stop/start.
And OP, sorry for derailing a little here.

Why?
Is it because you don’t trust it? Is it because you drive in a lot of stop/go traffic and find it annoying? Is it because…you’re old school, annoying, don’t see the need/feel the need?

For me, I shut it off in traffic jams and the drive through. Annoying.
On my wife’s old Cherokee, it was not smooth, very jerky…and I always shut it off.

However, in this truck, aside from those times listed above, it truly doesn’t bother me. It’s smooth, reliable thus far…

Just curious as to why some feel the need to shut it off and disable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honest question for those that either permanently or each time you get in your truck, disable stop/start.

Why?
Is it because you don’t trust it? Is it because you drive in a lot of stop/go traffic and find it annoying? Is it because…you’re old school, annoying, don’t see the need/feel the need?

On my wife’s old Cherokee, it was not smooth, very jerky…and I always shut it off.

However, in this truck, aside from those times listed above, it truly doesn’t bother me. It’s smooth, reliable thus far…

Puts extra stress on parts, if you are using AC it fogs the hell out of your windows whole stopped, not safe in some stop and go traffic, makes my exhaust sound stupid as hell when it turns back on (sounds like my truck stalled out).

I manually enable it if I know I am going to be stopped for longer then 15 seconds, which is not typical for any road I am on except for a few 4 way intersections on the interstate.
I also sometimes use it while at bjs in line for gas, but it's annoying as you can't put your truck into park you need to keep your foot on the brake which makes it even less attractive to use as putting the truck into park doesn't allow it to engage.

GMetal

Reaction score
Id think you could swap out the BCM and related wiring harness from a non e-torque model. Probably more work than its worth.

ChrisID

Reaction score
It is my opinion that Ram came out with the 2025 way earlier than it should have because the e-torque only 2024 wasn't selling.
Gotta sell to eat. Well see if the I6TT sells. My guess it won't at first relative to if they just left the std v8 in it and paid the CAFE fines.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Why?

I've answered this question many times in other threads where it came up. But I don't mind answering it again. I am old school. I don't like my engine shutting off and starting back up. I have nothing but my own opinion on this, but an engine has zero oil pressure when it's stopped. And most engine wear occurs at start-up. I know there is a residual film of oil coating bearing surfaces, but I'd rather just leave the engine running and know everything that needs oil has it.

I did my own fuel economy testing with the first etorque equipped truck I had. And what I found is that there is more of a difference in a month's worth of driving if the wind is blowing extra hard a couple days than whether or not stop/start was enabled. Maybe if I did more city driving it would make more of a difference. But my daily commute consists of one stop sign, which never has any traffic so I stay stopped for about a second. Thankfully we no longer own a truck with etorque so it's a moot point for me.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had no issues with the etorque on my 2019 now at 70,000 miles. I do get a lot of complements from other people who have auto start stop, they can't believe how smooth it is compared to their newer cars. That said it is something extra to break and if it does ever break it will cost more to fix then any fuel that was saved.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And most engine wear occurs at start-up.
This is all of my reasoning as well. Why would we choose to increase the amount of startups an engine experiences, if we care about longevity?

Answer is manufactures feel more pressure to save a drop of gasoline than they do to give consumers products with long lives.

dajogejr

Reaction score
Appreciate the input guys… kinda answers I was figuring.
My thoughts are startup wear occurs when it’s cold. First start.
I believe start/stop only occurs once several checks are in place, such as engine temp, cabin temp, ambient temp…thresholds are in place. I haven’t read up on it in a while…and frankly, this is the first vehicle I’ve owned that has it.

mikeru2, appreciate you repeating thoughts. I’m sure there’s lots of threads on this.
My old 15 Limited was 6’4” bed and 3.92 gearing, any fuel comparisons between it and my current wouldn’t be valid for me.

Biga…yep. Compared to my wife’s old Cherokee and many other vehicles, the stop/start on the RAM is very, very smooth.

Dark, yep.. understood. We’re kinda the opposite, if I’m in traffic or a drive through (or inline for gas at Sams/Costco) I turn it off…regardless if I put it in park or leave my foot on the brake.

Ok, sorry to derail, appreciate all the input and food for thought.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One thing about etorque is that it dramatically reduces idle time. Which in the end could help save wear and tear on the cams/lifters since they don't get great lubrication at idle.

GMetal

Reaction score
This is all of my reasoning as well. Why would we choose to increase the amount of startups an engine experiences, if we care about longevity?

Answer is manufactures feel more pressure to save a drop of gasoline than they do to give consumers products with long lives.
I have not looked at the fuel tables yet but for most engines there is a prime function that sprays fuel before starting. I wonder how much that offsets the few minutes of running at idle.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing about etorque is that it dramatically reduces idle time. Which in the end could help save wear and tear on the cams/lifters since they don't get great lubrication at idle.
Idle time is unchanged if your daily commute is like mine. The one stop sign I had on my morning commute is now a round-a-bout with almost no traffic. Now there's never a reason to stop.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Idle time is unchanged if your daily commute is like mine. The one stop sign I had on my morning commute is now a round-a-bout with almost no traffic. Now there's never a reason to stop.
Depends on the day but I generally have a fair amount of stop and go and sitting at stop lights. If it wasn't for my work I would move farther out into the country to get away from the traffic.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I have not looked at the fuel tables yet but for most engines there is a prime function that sprays fuel before starting. I wonder how much that offsets the few minutes of running at idle.
That’s a great point. I also wonder if there is a prime function on hot start vs cold.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've answered this question many times in other threads where it came up. But I don't mind answering it again. I am old school. I don't like my engine shutting off and starting back up. I have nothing but my own opinion on this, but an engine has zero oil pressure when it's stopped. And most engine wear occurs at start-up. I know there is a residual film of oil coating bearing surfaces, but I'd rather just leave the engine running and know everything that needs oil has it.

I did my own fuel economy testing with the first etorque equipped truck I had. And what I found is that there is more of a difference in a month's worth of driving if the wind is blowing extra hard a couple days than whether or not stop/start was enabled. Maybe if I did more city driving it would make more of a difference. But my daily commute consists of one stop sign, which never has any traffic so I stay stopped for about a second. Thankfully we no longer own a truck with etorque so it's a moot point for me.

Most engine wear occurs at COLD startups, not hot/warm

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

They have 50 psi of lubrication at idle, at least mine does

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/