5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn headlight issue

LoganB

Reaction score
So, I have a 2019 ram 1500 Longhorn but I cannot get my headlights to not be on once I engage in another gear. Rather the switch is off or in any other mode they won’t turn off and just run the DRL’s. What can cause this and how do I fix it?

dano257

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn and there is a setting for the DRL's in the app screen to have them on or off. Not sure, but might be worth a quick look at the settings to see that's it before heading to the dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So no matter what position your selector switch is in they will not turn on or off?
Or just that you have drl forced on?

LoganB

Reaction score
Take the truck to the dealer.

So no matter what position your selector switch is in they will not turn on or off?
Or just that you have drl forced on?
The drl and headlights are always on no matter what after I put it in any gear other than park. I’ve messed with the settings and there isn’t anything in there to turn the headlights off and leave the drl’s on. Even with the switch being off for they headlights they are on. When I switch between the modes they become dimmer is all but they stay on

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Daytime running lights “ On” setting controlled in your head unit makes the headlights slightly dimmer. But your tail lights do not light up with DRL on. Check to see if your tail lights are lit and that will tell you if DRL is on. When you turn DRL off in the settings, nothing should light up, including your tail lights and headlights.

One other thing is to make sure you have the correct bulb in your headlights.

LoganB

Reaction score
The Daytime running lights “ On” setting controlled in your head unit makes the headlights slightly dimmer. But your tail lights do not light up with DRL on. Check to see if your tail lights are lit and that will tell you if DRL is on. When you turn DRL off in the settings, nothing should light up, including your tail lights and headlights.

It’s not the drls’s that are my issue. They work fine along side the tail lights it’s the headlights being on the entire time sun or night time. No matter the setting I have them on they are always on and only turn off if I put it in park

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s not the drls’s that are my issue. They work fine along side the tail lights it’s the headlights being on the entire time sun or night time. No matter the setting I have them on they are always on and only turn off if I put it in park
You are describing drl... Typically drl are set to the low beams.

As Redz71 asked about putting the switch in park lights. If your low beams turn off, then it is drl else problems with your electrical/bulbs.

LoganB

Reaction score

As Redz71 asked about putting the switch in park lights. If your low beams turn off, then it is drl else problems with your electrical/bulbs.
The DRL’s are the white strips are they not? That’s how it is on my optima and I can turn the headlights on separately with those DRL’s still being in. If rams DRL’s are the white strips along side low beams being on that’s rather annoying and is there a way to shut that off to just run the white bars?

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you have LED lighting package? That would have helped knowing that sooner. I don’t have the LED lighting package so maybe someone with them can chime in. But the settings for DRL I referred to earlier apply across all lighting packages.

If you flip your lighting switch to parking lights only, do the lights you’re referring to turn off?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are confusing the signature lighting, LED strips, with your DRLs, low beams. The LED "halos" are not DRLs. Only way to turn off the signature lighting is with Jscan or alfaObd. And then they are permanently off

LoganB

Reaction score

I’m looking to be able to have it set
So you have LED lighting package? That would have helped knowing that sooner. I don’t have the LED lighting package so maybe someone with them can chime in. But the settings for DRL I referred to earlier apply across all lighting packages.

If you flip your lighting switch to parking lights only, do the lights you’re referring to turn off?
The longhorns (2019+) share the limited and TRX headlights. Sorry about that miss understanding. But talking to the guy at the dealer these headlights aren’t supposed to have a low beam on while in the off position on the headlamp switch while in N,R, or D but mine will have to be reprogrammed back into that format. But for these headlights the DRL’s are the 2 white strips where on the bighorn it’s the low beam and/or the orange amber light in the housing

In any option on the headlamp switch unless I am in park the low beams along side the DRL’s are on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The longhorns (2019+) share the limited and TRX headlights. Sorry about that miss understanding. But talking to the guy at the dealer these headlights aren’t supposed to have a low beam on while in the off position on the headlamp switch while in N,R, or D but mine will have to be reprogrammed back into that format. But for these headlights the DRL’s are the 2 white strips where on the bighorn it’s the low beam and/or the orange amber light in the housing

In any option on the headlamp switch unless I am in park the low beams along side the DRL’s are on.
I wouldnt trust "the guy at the dealer". Salesmen don't actually know a lot about the cars they sell other than what the window sticker says.

LoganB

Reaction score
You are confusing the signature lighting, LED strips, with your DRLs, low beams. The LED "halos" are not DRLs. Only way to turn off the signature lighting is with Jscan or alfaObd. And then they are permanently off
Do you have insta so I can message you on there to better understand from your side? It’s easier to edit pictures on there than here where I’m not familiar with.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The DRL’s are the white strips are they not? That’s how it is on my optima and I can turn the headlights on separately with those DRL’s still being in. If rams DRL’s are the white strips along side low beams being on that’s rather annoying and is there a way to shut that off to just run the white bars?
DRL are daytime running lights.
Those set set to low beams from the factory.
The white steps are not DRL from the factory they are called signature lighting and 100% in dependant from drl
This statement is true but if you disable DRL you will still have the led stripes, the white brows could be looked at drl despite that they are not.

The TRX and Limited share the same lights except for the color board on the bottom brow.
What country is this Longhorn from USA or Canada? This matters are there is a different base configs with lighting between the 2.

What exactly are you looking for to have lit up while you are driving with your headlights not turned during the daylight?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DRL are daytime running lights.
Those set set to low beams from the factory.
The white steps are not DRL from the factory they are called signature lighting and 100% in dependant from drl

This statement is true but if you disable DRL you will still have the led stripes, the white brows could be looked at drl despite that they are not.
That was addressed in that the signature lighting can only be turned off with alfaObd or Jscan. And others also commenting the same. I was just trying to clarify for him that he was calling the signature lighting "DRL" which they are not

The TRX and Limited share the same lights except for the color board on the bottom brow.
What country is this Longhorn from USA or Canada? This matters are there is a different base configs with lighting between the 2.

What exactly are you looking for to have lit up while you are driving with your headlights not turned during the daylight?
He wanting the signature lighting off

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But for these headlights the DRL’s are the 2 white strips...

This is not correct. The 2 white strips are just accent lighting. The DRL's use your headlight bulbs at a lower power than when the headlights are on.

If your headlights are one when the switch is off you then DRL is probable active on your truck. If you can't turn them off in settings, like I can, you will probably need to have your dealer disable them. If you life in Canada, they probably won't disable them as they are required by law.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
He wanting the signature lighting off
I mean this sounds like he's talking about his headlights and keeping signature lighting on
"I cannot get my headlights to not be on once I engage in another gear"

He also says "there isn’t anything in there to turn the headlights off and leave the drl’s on" which makes me thing the same also.

Users who are viewing this thread