5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd Vibration? Tried New Tires....Same. Just replaced wheel/tire Combo....Same

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Hello all, About 5 months ago I bought a new to me 2020 1500. The truck had Pirelli Scorpion tires with decent tread on them but with winter approaching here in NY I wanted to replace them with a winter only tire. Before the new tires the truck seemed to have a vibration in the *** of the seat around 65-75 mph, automatically I blamed it on the tires. Fast forward to the new tires (Bridgestone Blizzak 275/55/20) the vibration was still there around the same MPH. After that I blamed it on possibly a bent rim/bad balance. 2 Days ago I installed a set of New OEM wheel/tire takeoffs that I purchased (Mopar Black 5 spokes, Bridgestone Dueler H/L 275/55/20) and the vibration is still there. Its not horrible, but seems to be constant in the lower half of my driver seat, ZERO vibration in the steering wheel. The truck does have a soft roll up tonneau cover and I have read they can possibly cause vibrations? Any thoughts on what it could be or what to look for?

Thanks for the Help!!!

2020 Ram 1500 Laramie (100% stock other than Rough Country Running Boards)
Crew Cab w 5'7 Bed
4x4
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
currently @46k miles, Bought it with 37k miles

GMetal

Reaction score
Those Duelers can cause vibration. I had mine rebalanced and rotated and my vibration at 57mph went away. Check driveshaft for signs of damage also.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Those Duelers can cause vibration. I had mine rebalanced and rotated and my vibration at 57mph went away. Check driveshaft for signs of damage also.

Thanks!! Ill Check the driveshaft good, Ive looked at it but have really checked it over well. Its not a horrible vibration, just enough to be a nuisance

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Also when you’re getting them balanced are you having them road force balanced? Not all places have the equipment to that.

I have the local ram dealership do all my mounting and balancing, I will have to reach out and see if they roadforce balance them. If not I know the place that I have mount and balance the wheels on my corvette (335/25/20 runflat rear tire) has a roadforce balancer and they could do the tires on my truck also

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
High frequency vibration like a buzz or low frequency like a shimmy or wobble?

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Someone on the forum recently had a bad driveshaft ujoint. Their truck was in the 40K mileage ballpark. You should closely inspect for that !

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A good NVH app will help isolate where this is coming from. Just guessing on tires, driveshaft, axles, and so on leads to unnecessary costs. The dealer has a Picoscope with the NVH add on, absolutely under utilized tool by most dealers.

Rebob0510

Reaction score
Someone on the forum recently had a bad driveshaft ujoint. Their truck was in the 40K mileage ballpark. You should closely inspect for that !

Ill have to check that, Would be very easy for me to pull the back ujoint straps off the rear end yolk and see how both ends feel. We race circle track cars and when we have a bad ujoint you get that slight vibration in the *** of the seat

Rebob0510

Reaction score
A good NVH app will help isolate where this is coming from. Just guessing on tires, driveshaft, axles, and so on leads to unnecessary costs. The dealer has a Picoscope with the NVH add on, absolutely under utilized tool by most dealers.

Ive never heard of that tool before. I have a very good dealer down the road from where I work, I will have to get in touch with them and see if something they can isolate for me

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would call it more of a low frequency shimmy/wobble that you can feel in the lower seat cushion
If this has happened with different rims and tires have the hubs/rotors checked for run out

Rebob0510

Reaction score
If this has happened with different rims and tires have the hubs/rotors checked for run out

Its been consistent with the OEM Rims with old tires, OEM Rims w/ new tires and the complete set of OEM Wheels/Tires I just put on the truck. Ive been looking at a complete powerstop setup. I had them on my old ram and liked them, Maybe this will give me a excuse to order them up LOL

Users who are viewing this thread