5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Vibration

U

User_3336

So, what kind of tires are on the truck to start with?

What is the tire pressure in the tires?

Have the tires been rotated and/or balanced?

Breezy83

Reaction score
Tires are new, but who knows how good the installer was...I did read that it may be the cv shafts causing the vibration...truck only has 43,000 miles on it

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try road force balancing them Discount Tire is my recommendation. Some techs can’t balance for sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

U

User_3336

Believe it or not, overinflated tires can cause vibrations as well.

Vibrations can be hard to trace.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heck, the lug nuts could be loose

U

User_3336

Heck, the lug nuts could be loose
That as well, and let me tell you one thing for sure. WHEEL LOCKS! Yes! That one different locking lug can create an awful imbalance.. Almost no one thinks about this.
Had this happen on my truck. Had them take the wheel locks off, balance the tires, and lower the psi about 3points, and the vibration was virtually gone!!!

Breezy83

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reply's. Bringing it back to the dealer on monday, they need to figure this out...Stay tuned.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That as well, and let me tell you one thing for sure. WHEEL LOCKS! Yes! That one different locking lug can create an awful imbalance.. Almost no one thinks about this.
Had this happen on my truck. Had them take the wheel locks off, balance the tires, and lower the psi about 3points, and the vibration was virtually gone!!!
I'm wondering if this is my issue. I've been having a vibration around 43-45 mph, goes away until I reach 57-60 mph then it's back. Had the tires balanced 3 times and the alignment redone. Driving me nuts.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is my issue. I've been having a vibration around 43-45 mph, goes away until I reach 57-60 mph then it's back. Had the tires balanced 3 times and the alignment redone. Driving me nuts.
The tires are probably balanced, but they might not be round. Have the tire shop check the run out of the tire. The speeds you describe are typical for vibrations that come from tires

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tires are probably balanced, but they might not be round. Have the tire shop check the run out of the tire. The speeds you describe are typical for vibrations that come from tires
that's what I'm thinking as well. I'm using my local discount tire. Is that something they would find while balancing them or do I need to specify and tell them to check that?

U

User_3336

Do you have wheel locks on your truck?

Scram1500

Reaction score
that's what I'm thinking as well. I'm using my local discount tire. Is that something they would find while balancing them or do I need to specify and tell them to check that?
They typically won't look for that, they just look at the numbers on the balancer

U

User_3336

yes, I don't have any spare normal lugs to try. I'm curious if that may be the culprit. Tires are like new and the truck itself only has 3500 miles on it.
I swear, they were the culprit on a brand new truck on the lot when I test drove it. Dealer took them off, balanced and rotated the tires, and VOILA, vibrations gone. Not saying that's the root cause of vibrations in general, but it surely changed how this truck drove! They were the Dueller HL Tires 20 inch.

EJ84

Reaction score
I’m having similar issues, do you think just swapping out the locking lug nut might work or should all the tires be balanced at the same time

U

User_3336

I’m having similar issues, do you think just swapping out the locking lug nut might work or should all the tires be balanced at the same time
Might be a hit or miss, but I'm proof that the locking lugs caused a bad vibration.
If you think about it, the shape and length of the locking lug is a lot different that the regular lug, which, in my case, created an inbalance.
I'd change all the locking lugs back to the regular ones (assuming you kept them), and see if that helps any.
The dealer switched the lugs and balanced here, but just for curiosity, just change out the locking lugs and see if the ride is different. Also, I had the PSI in the tires around 34, too high of an air pressure can create a choppy ride, which can seem like a vibration.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be a hit or miss, but I'm proof that the locking lugs caused a bad vibration.
If you think about it, the shape and length of the locking lug is a lot different that the regular lug, which, in my case, created an inbalance.
I'd change all the locking lugs back to the regular ones (assuming you kept them), and see if that helps any.
The dealer switched the lugs and balanced here, but just for curiosity, just change out the locking lugs and see if the ride is different. Also, I had the PSI in the tires around 34, too high of an air pressure can create a choppy ride, which can seem like a vibration.
Hmm...I'm running Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 33x12.5x22 on the OEM 22s. I have them set at 40 psi and I have the locking lugs. you think I can run without the wheel locks just temporarily to see if it makes a difference? I know that a missing lugnut can allow the wheel to put extra pressure on the other lugs. What are your thoughts on that? I don't have any spare normal lugs currently.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Bringing it back to the dealer on Monday, they need to figure this out...Stay tuned.
take it and have it put on a rack that you can have them put it in gear and watch the tires go around under engine power.
I had this same thing happen with a chevy once when I had the tires replaced with the same brand and tread that was OEM on the truck.
it turned out that not one but 2 of the brand-new tires were out of round ( goodyears ). you could see it clear as day on the rack with them turning.
they replaced the 2 tires, and the vibration went away on it.

U

User_3336

Hmm...I'm running Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 33x12.5x22 on the OEM 22s. I have them set at 40 psi and I have the locking lugs. you think I can run without the wheel locks just temporarily to see if it makes a difference? I know that a missing lugnut can allow the wheel to put extra pressure on the other lugs. What are your thoughts on that? I don't have any spare normal lugs currently.
I CAN NOT speak on any other than stock configuration. Mine were 20 OEM wheels on Bridgestone Dueller HL's.
Bigger tires can cause vibrations all on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread