5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing capacity confusion???

Joebro161

Reaction score
Hey yall! I just picked up a new to me ‘21 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD with the 5.7 Hemi and tow package. It had 52000 miles of use when purchased. I also have a 6000 pound camper. I previously towed that camper with my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited with the 5.7 and it handled like crap. This new truck handled better when I towed it 1000+ Miles from TX to GA. However i cant find a solid answer on the towing capacity. If I could get some help with what the ACTUAL number is I would appreciate it. Some websites say 6500 others say 11000. I just want a straight answer. NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE ETORQUE

Solution
The charts are not for a specific truck.

The only thing you need from the chart is GCWR! Gross Combined Weight Rating!
Do you have 3.21 or 3.92 gears?

3.21. GCWR is 13900
3.92. GCWR is 17000

All the other information is on your door jamb.

GVWR and Payload.

So you look at your door Jamb. 7100 GVWR. Your payload will be specific...but it is a 1500 truck so for the sake of science....1500 Payload.

GVWR minus Payload equals base weight.
Base weight is an empty truck with a full tank of gas.

7100-1500=5600

GCWR minus base weight equals max trailering.
Max trailering is the weight left over for a trailer(it's tongue weight) driver and hitch.

Let's say you got 3.92

17000-5600=11400

See why the max number given in charts is wrong...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey yall! I just picked up a new to me ‘21 Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD with the 5.7 Hemi and tow package. It had 52000 miles of use when purchased. I also have a 6000 pound camper. I previously towed that camper with my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Limited with the 5.7 and it handled like crap. This new truck handled better when I towed it 1000+ Miles from TX to GA. However i cant find a solid answer on the towing capacity. If I could get some help with what the ACTUAL number is I would appreciate it. Some websites say 6500 others say 11000. I just want a straight answer. NOTE: I DO NOT HAVE ETORQUE
Go here

Then scroll down and select option to look up my vehicle
Screenshot_20240227-222857.png

llando88

Reaction score
Somewhere along the way I located a 2021 model year tow capacity chart I downloaded (I forget where). It's attached to this post, in case it helps.

For example, for my previous 2021 Ram 1500 4x2 Crew Cab with 5.7 l Hemi and 3.92 rear, the max trailer is listed as 11,450 lbs.

Attachments

• Ram_LD_DT_Trailer-Tow-Weight-Chart_MY21_R1.pdf
    419.6 KB · Views: 13

llando88

Reaction score
Have you tried that website with your vin?
I just tried it, and that link doesn't work with the VIN from my previous 2021 (it returns an error after entering all 17 digits.) The other side of the web page only accepts MY 18 or 17
trucks. Entering data for a notional MY 2018 1500 returns some fishy numbers for tow capacity? 10,450 kilos?

Screenshot from 2024-02-28 06-58-57.png

I'm not sure I'd rely on that web site for accurate data.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The charts are not for a specific truck.

The only thing you need from the chart is GCWR! Gross Combined Weight Rating!
Do you have 3.21 or 3.92 gears?

3.21. GCWR is 13900
3.92. GCWR is 17000

All the other information is on your door jamb.

GVWR and Payload.

So you look at your door Jamb. 7100 GVWR. Your payload will be specific...but it is a 1500 truck so for the sake of science....1500 Payload.

GVWR minus Payload equals base weight.
Base weight is an empty truck with a full tank of gas.

7100-1500=5600

GCWR minus base weight equals max trailering.
Max trailering is the weight left over for a trailer(it's tongue weight) driver and hitch.

Let's say you got 3.92

17000-5600=11400

See why the max number given in charts is wrong. There is still a good bit of subtraction to do to get that truck and trailer connected and down the road.

So, 11400. You got to subtract you. I weigh 300lbs dressed for work. A weight distribution hitch weighs about 100lbs. So we are at 11000lbs.

Now tongue weight. A camper, travel trailer, whatever your area calls it...has a tongue weight of about 12 to 15%. The charts and configurators only use 10% if any.

So your truck now also only has 1100lbs of payload left.

So, an equipment trailer with a 10%TW or a smaller driver and you could tow 11k.

But an 11k camper would be too much TW on the truck. Make sense.

A common GVWR for a trailer is 8800 pounds. At 13% that is 1144 pounds of TW. Too much, but you could probably do it....but remember...just 300lbs in the truck.

So 7500. TW @13% is 975. Now you can take something extra with you.

It is simple math. No chart or configurator needed.

You now have all the numbers you need.

Do people tow big campers...sure! But, this is the math to be in compliance.

Gross Axle Rating is also needed, it is on the door jamb, but you rarely get near it with a properly loaded appropriate trailer.

Solution

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The only number that matters in our case (ram 1500) is your payload. Open the door, read the yellow sticker, it will say:
"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed X lbs."

The X is specific to your truck, and that's the total weight you can add including people, cargo, and tongue weight from a trailer. My guess is, your number is about 1300.

Even an 8000 pound travel trailer will put about 1000 to 1200 pounds on your truck, so you can see that the number you're looking for (6500 to 11000) is irrelevant, you'll never reach that number, you'll always use up your payload FIRST regardless of what the truck says you can tow behind it.

(and the 6500 is probably for v6's, every 3.21 with the v8 can tow > 8000 pounds if it didn't exceed payload).

I'm going to suggest that your 6000 pound trailer is towable: its well within your GCWR, and probably within your GVWR/payload as well as long as you're not putting more than 600 pounds of people/cargo in the truck.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
As mentioned above, payload will be different for each individual truck. I also have a '21 Laramie 5.7 HEMI with 3.92, but with ETorque. The Payload listed on my door jam is 1571lbs. depending on the included options on your truck, your payload may be more or less than mine. Keep in mind that to get the correct numbers, you must subtract ANYTHING, that was been added to the truck (not installed @ the factory). This may include tonneau cover, running boards, heavier tires, lift components, storage, etc. ANYTHING added to the truck will reduce your available payload capacity. I tow a 24' TT and have BARELY enough payload to be in compliance. I am honestly a hair over with passengers in the truck when traveling.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only number that matters in our case (ram 1500) is your payload. Open the door, read the yellow sticker, it will say:
"The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed X lbs."

I'm going to suggest that your 6000 pound trailer is towable: its well within your GCWR, and probably within your GVWR/payload as well as long as you're not putting more than 600 pounds of people/cargo in the truck.
I think too that most people overlook the fact that those running boards you installed, your tonneau cover, the tools you stuffed under the rear seat, the napkins in the glove box, the spouse/kids/dog, the beer cooler, and the WDH itself ALL count against your cargo(Payload) number...this is why it is so important to get the fully loaded-for-camping rig to the CAT Scales and get the three important readings. (Loaded truck, Loaded truck+trailer-no WDH, and loaded truck+trailer w/WDH engaged). ONLY then will you actually know your numbers and what adjustments to WDH/Loading need to happen to get proper and safe handling...not to mention whether you're operating within specs of your specific rig.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ballpark is either ~11k lbs if you have the 3.92 axle ratio, or ~8k lbs if you have the 3.21 axle.

Those are the on paper numbers Ram advertises for those that dont want to do the detailed math mentioned above.

The reality is that neither tow rating matters if you will have any passengers and/or cargo in the truck - because you’ll max out your payload rating well before either of the tow ratings. For more on that, reference above posts.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that trash website with no relevant info to a 5th gen.
I've seen it posted elsewhere. Never actually looked into it myself. I see now that it shows 17-18 model years. Kind of weird RAM stopped giving towing capacity numbers for 5th gens. I even looked on the Mopar site for my specific truck, and it specifically says that no towing capacity is available for my truck

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've seen it posted elsewhere. Never actually looked into it myself. I see now that it shows 17-18 model years. Kind of weird RAM stopped giving towing capacity numbers for 5th gens. I even looked on the Mopar site for my specific truck, and it specifically says that no towing capacity is available for my truck
Mopar CYA?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably! 😄

In fairness, I did use the website from FCA and got very accurate listing for my VIN, so it worked at some point in the past. Might it be connected to the 2025 Build site not working today either?
You can get the towing documents from your salesman that are vin specific. There is a short window they can get them, I think it is anytime from build to sale date. It's weird how Ram has locked this info down so quickly. Check with your salesperson for the vin tow ratings.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread