5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valvoline 75W-90 full synthetic differential oil

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I changed fluids today and used Mopar fluid for transfer case. But I took a sample of OE and redline MT-LV, I bought a bottle just for a sample. The Redline has a slight red tint which would give it away, that would alert the tech it’s the incorrect fluid, so I won’t be using redline. IMG_0036.jpeg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Of coarse thats 30K miles away, so by then maybe it'll be solved as to who makes the OE fluid for Ram.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I changed fluids today and used Mopar fluid for transfer case. But I took a sample of OE and redline MT-LV, I bought a bottle just for a sample. The Redline has a slight red tint which would give it away, that would alert the tech it’s the incorrect fluid, so I won’t be using redline. View attachment 167281
What difference does it make if a company Greasemonkey knows you use Redline lubes? Nothing anywhere can say you have to use a certain brand. I don't use Redline but I am sure it is above the low minimum bar specs that Mopar meets.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What difference does it make if a company Greasemonkey knows you use Redline lubes? Nothing anywhere can say you have to use a certain brand. I don't use Redline but I am sure it is above the low minimum bar specs that Mopar meets.
Working at a dealer, we use more BG lubricant than oem in the driveline. Never had an issue in 15 years from non oem fluids.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If the transfer case fails under warranty, and the dealer doesn't want to deal with it, on the road for example, thats the perfect opportunity to just say the wrong lube was used that caused failure.

I'm one that tries to get around the ridiculous cost of dealers prices, especially trying to make up losses that they suffered under Covid, that caused the inventory to shrink on the lots, thus hurting their bottom line. I went through this exact scenario trying to find another source for transmission fluid for my Aisin auto in my 2019 3500 SRW HO. A member suggested using Mobil transmission fluid at half the cost, it turned out that not only would it work, it was actually written on the transmission that Mobil transmission fluid is OK. The parts guys have to know this, and probably buys it in bulk for their shop use, but they want to sell the packaged OE fluid at twice the cost.

The last example is why I started this thread, to find out as well as educate the members here what would work, besides the ridiculous costs from the dealers. Another corporation manufactured it, Ram doesn't manufacture their own oil.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Working at a dealer, we use more BG lubricant than oem in the driveline. Never had an issue in 15 years from non oem fluids.
On my invoice, after oil and filter change at the dealer, they actually listed Duramax as the oil. o_O

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think alot of this comes down to personal opinion and tolerance for risk. If you're using the correct weight and it's not out right negligence what are the actual chances they void your warranty? I tend to err on the side of caution but with most of the modern synthetic oils I've taken an oil is oil approach. I've spent alot of time at BITOG looking at different oil analysis records. It's especially true dealing with engine oil and API standards. If you think a red tint is going to matter even though it's the proper weight and is a mobil-lt equivalent then that's your choice. I purchased the redline for use in my truck because most people don't even service the stuff and I felt like I had enough data to support my decision. It doesn't help that these trucks come from the factory underfilled at times either.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
If the transfer case fails under warranty, and the dealer doesn't want to deal with it, on the road for example, thats the perfect opportunity to just say the wrong lube was used that caused failure.

Yup. It's sad but true. All dealers/service reps might not do this but it's possible.

The logic I use is if I can find the specs of what they want and match it up to an even better oil I'll do that. That's why in my front and rear diff I went with AmsOil. As we discussed, can't seem to find exactly what they use in the t-case and trans. Therefore, I just go OEM. IMO, you did the right thing by going OEM on those two.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup. It's sad but true. All dealers/service reps might not do this but it's possible.

The logic I use is if I can find the specs of what they want and match it up to an even better oil I'll do that. That's why in my front and rear diff I went with AmsOil. As we discussed, can't seem to find exactly what they use in the t-case and trans. Therefore, I just go OEM. IMO, you did the right thing by going OEM on those two.
Mobilfluid LT for the 4auto per the manual. Redline MT-LV is a Mobil fluid LT equivalent per their website. Again I recognize it's all opinion and not that one is wrong. Just wanted to share that info.

IMG_2448.png

Last edited:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Mobilfluid LT for the 4auto per the manual.

I have a 2019 and the manual states to only use the Mopar fluid. I also have the part-time t-case. They may have clarified this in later years. Right now though, that's all the manual states. If I get some better clarification next time I have no issue with the Mobilfluid LT. BTW, I'm not the only one with this confusion either. Seems like a lot of folks with 19's can't seem to find exactly what the cross-equivalent is. Believe me, I'm not delusional or naïve either. It probably is Mobil LT or at least is fine to use Mobil LT. I have the extended warranty and don't want any hassle if I have an issue.

snip.JPG

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 and the manual states to only use the Mopar fluid. I also have the part-time t-case. They may have clarified this in later years. Right now though, that's all the manual states. If I get some better clarification next time I have no issue with the Mobilfluid LT. BTW, I'm not the only one with this confusion either. Seems like a lot of folks with 19's can't seem to find exactly what the cross-equivalent is.

View attachment 167294
That's fair. Didn't realize that discrepancy. While I imagine there isn't a difference in one model year I can also understand the hesitation.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
That's fair. Didn't realize that discrepancy. While I imagine there isn't a difference in one model year I can also understand the hesitation.

So now your post makes things even more interesting. I didn't see the pic you posted until now.

They recommend for the new PT t-case "Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389". However, in my manual, they recommend 44-45 which also seems to cross over to the auto t-case in my year. To say this is confusing is an understatement.

I'm actually glad I used the Mopar fluid because I'm more confused than ever now lol.

EDIT: And just for giggles I tried to find the Shell Spirax S2 ATF A389 online and if a couple 100 of you guys want to split a 55 gallon drum...we might get a deal!

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Per service info on the 2019 DT tcase fluid recommendations.

Much appreciated. Seems like TES-389 equivalent is what they recommend. Finding small quantities seems almost impossible. I guess it just makes sense to use the Mopar fluid.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
2 X 1 quart = $90.00 at dealer vrs $65.00 at parts house, when the oil is crossed to an equivalent then thats what I'll buy, however if it has a red tint I won't. The crossed over equivalent will have to have same color and feel as the OE.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
2 X 1 quart = $90.00 at dealer vrs $65.00 at parts house, when the oil is crossed to an equivalent then thats what I'll buy, however if it has a red tint I won't. The crossed over equivalent will have to have same color and feel as the OE.

That's the case for most of the OEM fluids. I just got 6 quarts of the Mopar "8&9 Speed Trans Fluid" off Amazon. Mopar sealed 6 pack and all. $96. If went to the dealer it would be $140.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As long as the fluid you use meet the minimum specifications if the OEM fluid, it doesn't matter what color it is. The problem with fluids like Amsoil and Redline is they say it meets or bets the specs but don't actually pay for the certification to make it official.

mtjag

Reaction score
I changed out my front/rear diff and transfer case at 25k miles.

- Valvoline synthetic 75w90 in front
- Valvoline synthetic 75w140 in rear w/ limited-slip (no additional friction modifier added)
- OEM transfer case fluid

Now at 73k miles with no issues.
I just noticed the Valvoline 75W90 gear oil I got for the front diff has Limited slip additive in it. Is that going to be an issue for the front differential?

mtjag

Reaction score
I changed out my front/rear diff and transfer case at 25k miles.

- Valvoline synthetic 75w90 in front
- Valvoline synthetic 75w140 in rear w/ limited-slip (no additional friction modifier added)
- OEM transfer case fluid

Now at 73k miles with no issues.
I just noticed the Valvoline synthetic 75w90 I bought for the front diff already has limited slip additive. Is it ok to use that in the front diff?

Users who are viewing this thread