5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold air intake and Muffler

Mayank Joshi

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Mayank and i am from India and living in Dubai. I drive a Ram Rebel 2021 model and mostly use this car as an off roader for dune bashing.
Recently upgraded to fox 2.5 front and rear with ATI bead locks.
I have a question shall i change the cold air intake with full custom exhaust(Preferably like a Borla S) or can change the cold air intake with a borla pro xs muffler ?
Not sure on what will be the downside of changing the intake with muffler or intake with full exhaust ?

I had couple of issues earlier and all were sorted by doing the R&D mentioned on this forum and i would like to thank all for the posting the issues/remedy here in the forum.
I was thinking to buy the MOPAR cold air intake with mopar exhaust but that just dent a big hole in the pocket where as the K&N or S&B intake are 1/3rd the price.

Will wait for feedback from you guys and if anyone can share the info/details if someone from US can ship the intake and muffler as the prices seems cheaper in US and quite inflated in UAE.

Thanks in advance.
MJ

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Mayank and i am from India and living in Dubai. I drive a Ram Rebel 2021 model and mostly use this car as an off roader for dune bashing.
Recently upgraded to fox 2.5 front and rear with ATI bead locks.
I have a question shall i change the cold air intake with full custom exhaust(Preferably like a Borla S) or can change the cold air intake with a borla pro xs muffler ?
Not sure on what will be the downside of changing the intake with muffler or intake with full exhaust ?

I had couple of issues earlier and all were sorted by doing the R&D mentioned on this forum and i would like to thank all for the posting the issues/remedy here in the forum.
I was thinking to buy the MOPAR cold air intake with mopar exhaust but that just dent a big hole in the pocket where as the K&N or S&B intake are 1/3rd the price.

Will wait for feedback from you guys and if anyone can share the info/details if someone from US can ship the intake and muffler as the prices seems cheaper in US and quite inflated in UAE.

Thanks in advance.
MJ
Save your money. You won't get any benefits with either. The Ram already has a cold intake and an aftermarket exhaust is just for sound. Neither will give you performance nor fuel efficiency.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would not install the Mopar cold air intake if you are doing dunes. It's going to get clogged up more then the regular air box imo.

Vararam is the same as the Mopar air intake but half the price. Same problem for dunes.

Change exhaust for sound, change airbox for looks or space. If I was you I wouldn't change the intake.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on your reason for changing them. If you're looking for a performance boost, look elsewhere. You won't see any performance increase with either of the things you listed. If you're wanting to change how it sounds, or how it looks in the case of the intake, then feel free.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For dunes, I hear there's a company in Australia making a snorkel for the Rams, get you up out of the dust as much as possible.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a CAI on a vehicle primarily driven in the sand as they often come with a high flow filter, like K&N, that also has very low filtering efficiency. This analysis is interesting. Might be OK for a pavement queen. The racing community often uses high flow filters but their engines are tuned to take advantage of them and they don't plan on racing thousands of miles between engine rebuilds.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a CAI on a vehicle primarily driven in the sand as they often come with a high flow filter, like K&N, that also has very low filtering efficiency. This analysis is interesting. Might be OK for a pavement queen. The racing community often uses high flow filters but their engines are tuned to take advantage of them and they don't plan on racing thousands of miles between engine rebuilds.
That's what a prefilter is for. If you are in a dusty environment or driving in dusty environments, you want to use one if you can.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what a prefilter is for. If you are in a dusty environment or driving in dusty environments, you want to use one if you can.

That's not what prefilters are for. They just prevent your main filter from getting clogged as quickly by blocking out larger chunks from reaching the main filter. It still does not block out the fine particles that get past your main filter. They extend air flow efficiency; they do not improve filtering efficiency.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's not what prefilters are for. They just prevent your main filter from getting clogged as quickly by blocking out larger chunks from reaching the main filter. It still does not block out the fine particles that get past your main filter. They extend air flow efficiency; they do not improve filtering efficiency.
If you say so, but no, sand in dunes isn't considered fine particles. Fine particles as defined by most filters isn't something you will pick up with your hand. But I'm not going to hijack the thread to discuss filter design and efficiency.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1708368629799.png

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you say so, but no, sand in dunes isn't considered fine particles. Fine particles as defined by most filters isn't something you will pick up with your hand. But I'm not going to hijack the thread to discuss filter design and efficiency.
emoji23.png

I'm not saying so. The sources I provided say so and the source CheYeNNe71 provided also repeated what I said. The testing I previously provided showed in the equivalent of 60 minutes of run time the AC Delco paper filter let through 0.4 grams of dust particles but the K&N would let through at about 15 grams.

If you wish to believe sand dunes do not contain particles small enough to get through your filter then do whatever you want. I can't help you.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you actually read what I posted? :ROFLMAO: Dirt and sand.....

Yes, it says exactly the same thing I said. You seem to be ignoring the part where it says it keeps out "larger particles of..." It does not keep out the smaller particles of such items that will get through the filter element.

My guess is you are using a high flow filter and wish to convince yourself that it protects you just as well or better than a paper filter. I'm sure the manufacture told you how great it was. Good luck with that.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it says exactly the same thing I said. You seem to be ignoring the part where it says it keeps out "larger particles of..." It does not keep out the smaller particles of such items that will get through the filter element.

My guess is you are using a high flow filter and wish to convince yourself that it protects you just as well or better than a paper filter. I'm sure the manufacture told you how great it was. Good luck with that.
last post wasted on you because you will never admit when wrong, proven many times!! Plus your half-*** assumptions! :ROFLMAO: Enjoy!

1708371558895.png

1708371586061.png

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
last post wasted on you because you will never admit when wrong, proven many times!! Plus your half-*** assumptions! :ROFLMAO: Enjoy!

View attachment 177259

Again, LARGER PARTICLES. My god, I can't help you comprehend what you read. Everything I have said is supported by sources I provided and sources you keep providing. Do you honestly believe sand dunes only contain large grains of sand? Is that really your argument? THINK.

If you also wish to believe the sand dunes do not contain particles small enough to get through then go for it. The text I repeatedly posted show a high flow K&N filter will let through over 35 times more dirt than a paper AC Delco filter.

Mayank Joshi

Reaction score
I would not install the Mopar cold air intake if you are doing dunes. It's going to get clogged up more then the regular air box imo.

Vararam is the same as the Mopar air intake but half the price. Same problem for dunes.

Change exhaust for sound, change airbox for looks or space. If I was you I wouldn't change the intake.
I Would like to change the sound to something similar to a Ram Rebel GT. When i floor it while climbing a big dune, doesn't sounds as to what a V8 should sound.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 177259

View attachment 177260
Your image of sand as round balls is nonsense. Sand is small silicon dioxide crystals, which are loaded with sharp, angular, jagged features. And when you drive on it, you grind those crystals together, breaking it up into smaller sharp, jagged bits.

It's all bad for your engine. The big pieces settle out pretty quickly and as pointed out, are pretty easy to filter out. Fine stuff can remain suspended in the air for extended periods of time, and is more difficult to filter out, especially under throttle demand high flow conditions.

The best filtering systems combine multiple strategies like air intake high up away from the dust generating surface, cyclonic chambers using centrifugal force to separate, screens and prefilters, multiple stages of ever finer filtration, maybe even bubble chambers and electrostatic attractors.

In the end, design for the best compromise of flow vs. cleanliness to fit your application. If you want lots of power (high flow), it will be hard to filter out all the fine stuff and your engine will wear out faster as a consequence.

Remember TANFL.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your image of sand as round balls is nonsense. Sand is small silicon dioxide crystals, which are loaded with sharp, angular, jagged features. And when you drive on it, you grind those crystals together, breaking it up into smaller sharp, jagged bits.
Thanks for the entertainment :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread