5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with installing bed rails in 2023 Ram 1500 with spray in liner

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
Unfortunately the truck I bought did not come with the bed utility group. Today I picked up the rails for by bed area for my 2023 Ram 1500. Right off the bat I figured I would have issues installing the inserts due to having this spray in liner, sure enough I did. I got a small file to remove the bed liner material from the polygon opening. After some "Work" I got the inserts in and pulled out my torque wrench out to tighten down to 9Nm as the insert stated. I didn't even get the torque wrench to register as the insert just simply turned in the opening. I did not file that much material off and the inserts took a lot of effort to get them inserted, there were nice and tight. So grabbed a pair of vice grips to hold the insert as it tighten the bolt. It crushed as designed but instead of collapsing behind the sheet metal, it made a larger hole. Just my luck. I'm now thinking the area designed to crush is not in the ideal location (depth) due to the surface area covered with spray on liner that is located on the inside of the bed throwing it off. Looking for suggestion on fastening solutions as I'm to the point now where I don't feel the included ones are going to work for me without removing the liner in small section where these openings are.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpeg
    IMG_1053.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 23

Gnix

Reaction score
I just installed my bed rails last week.

I have my bed professionally sprayed by line X. It’s about 1/8 thick. I bought the rivet nuts and a 16” rivet tool from Amazon. I did NOT remove any bed liner for installation.

Name of the product under comment.

I used the M6 adaptor that came with the kit, insert rivet nut and I wiggled left right so the nut could fit tightly/fully. Make sure you take your time on this step and fully secure the nut inside the hole before you compress. And do not over tighten, or else there will be a bump.

Hope this helps. Goodluck

uxcell a15072400ux0414 20pcs M6x15mm Half Hex Body Flat Head Rivet Nuts Nutserts Fasteners (Pack of 20)​

AIUITIO 16" Rivet Nut Tool, Rivnut Tool Kit with 15 Metric and SAE Mandrels, Nutsert Rivet Tool Set with 150Pcs Rivnuts​

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me suggest a tool called a pilot brush, available in several convenient sizes. Chuck in your favorite drill and take that liner stuff right off.
pilot_brush.jpg

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
I have a Rivet nut tool and I even tried that on the supplied inserts, no luck getting it to bite... Might to buy some like yours and try it as it might be a bit softer metal. Found these and wondering if this might work.

Moicstiy 25Pcs M6 Steel Multi Grip Rivet Nuts Pre Bulbed Shank Zinc-Plated Flat Head Threaded Insert Nut Construction Fasteners for Industrial​

Just thinking these might have more surface area grip from the back side of the sheet metal.
I just installed my bed rails last week.

I have my bed professionally sprayed by line X. It’s about 1/8 thick. I bought the rivet nuts and a 16” rivet tool from Amazon. I did NOT remove any bed liner for installation.

Name of the product under comment.

I used the M6 adaptor that came with the kit, insert rivet nut and I wiggled left right so the nut could fit tightly/fully. Make sure you take your time on this step and fully secure the nut inside the hole before you compress. And do not over tighten, or else there will be a bump.

Hope this helps. Goodluck

uxcell a15072400ux0414 20pcs M6x15mm Half Hex Body Flat Head Rivet Nuts Nutserts Fasteners (Pack of 20)​

AIUITIO 16" Rivet Nut Tool, Rivnut Tool Kit with 15 Metric and SAE Mandrels, Nutsert Rivet Tool Set with 150Pcs Rivnuts​

scubaguy777

Reaction score
Gents - I just fell into this exact problem today trying to install my bed rails. Should have researched it here first. Did anyone end up finding a rivnut that worked well? I’m about ready to order a few sets of alternate rivnuts to see what might work best (stainless ones, ones noted above). Hoping my post triggers an alert to this thread for you guys. Appreciate any color on what works best.

TurboRabbit

Reaction score
Gave up on using the Rivet nuts included in the rail kit, used M8 (I believe... whatever fits tightly in the opening) - They seem to be working fine. Knowing better now, you need something like this the using the rivet nuts included in the kit. Amazon <<LINK

Key is to avoid allowing the rivet nut to rotate, this tool will prevent that.

Users who are viewing this thread