5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me decide

Syrio

Reaction score
A bit of an update. The tire shop I have been dealing with says the 18" KMC Terra wheels will not fit my truck. He says they will rub on the caliper. He is recommending I go with a 20" wheel with 0mm offset with the 275/60/R20 tire (33" tall) He does not want to go with the -10mm offset without a leveling kit at least. I was quoted KMC Terra 20" 0mm Offset wheels, black lug nuts, TPMS sensors, mounted and balanced, and 275/60/R20 115T Nokian Outpost nAT tires for $3800 Canadian / $2841 American.

I sent an e-mail through the KMC website asking if this was the case. It seems odd they showcase the KMC Terra wheels in 18x8.5 -10mm offset on a Ram Rebel on their website. When I check the 18x8.5 0mm offset on pmctire.com it shows they will fit.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A bit of an update. The tire shop I have been dealing with says the 18" KMC Terra wheels will not fit my truck. He says they will rub on the caliper. He is recommending I go with a 20" wheel with 0mm offset with the 275/60/R20 tire (33" tall) He does not want to go with the -10mm offset without a leveling kit at least. I was quoted KMC Terra 20" 0mm Offset wheels, black lug nuts, TPMS sensors, mounted and balanced, and 275/60/R20 115T Nokian Outpost nAT tires for $3800 Canadian / $2841 American.

I sent an e-mail through the KMC website asking if this was the case. It seems odd they showcase the KMC Terra wheels in 18x8.5 -10mm offset on a Ram Rebel on their website. When I check the 18x8.5 0mm offset on pmctire.com it shows they will fit.
so 18s are the smallest wheel that can fit, however, not all 18s will fit. i'm not sure about the KMC but the Methods with -12mm offset fits, but not with wheelweights. I had to do something different to balance it.
that's how I did it. You will need a shop that uses 1/4 stick on weights and have them mount the wheel weights toward the outside of the wheel to balance and fit.
That's also why I said go with Wildpeaks. Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are the easiest to balance per my personal experience mounting and dismounting these tires almost weekly. Align the yellow dot to valve stem and you will only need ~1oz of wheel weights.
Wheels also play in a part in balancing too. KMCs are hit and miss in my case... sometimes they do need more, sometimes they don't. My tried and true 100% of the time "least amount of wheel weight needed" combo is Methods and Falkens AT3W. heck, I've even done a few that don't even need wheel weights (one of four on my truck required zero weight)!

Syrio

Reaction score
so 18s are the smallest wheel that can fit, however, not all 18s will fit. i'm not sure about the KMC but the Methods with -12mm offset fits, but not with wheelweights. I had to do something different to balance it.
that's how I did it. You will need a shop that uses 1/4 stick on weights and have them mount the wheel weights toward the outside of the wheel to balance and fit.
That's also why I said go with Wildpeaks. Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws are the easiest to balance per my personal experience mounting and dismounting these tires almost weekly. Align the yellow dot to valve stem and you will only need ~1oz of wheel weights.
Wheels also play in a part in balancing too. KMCs are hit and miss in my case... sometimes they do need more, sometimes they don't. My tried and true 100% of the time "least amount of wheel weight needed" combo is Methods and Falkens AT3W. heck, I've even done a few that don't even need wheel weights (one of four on my truck required zero weight)!
That is a lot of great information you provided in the link to the other post you made. Seeing the picture of how close your calipers are to the 18" wheel put things in perspective. I can see you use your rebel truck the way it was meant to. I feel the wheel and tire combo that was quoted to me might be the best choice for my actual needs without dealing with caliper clearance. I would get the wheel that I like and a slightly bigger tire. Offset isn't much of a concern to me.

I do appreciate the time you have put into replying to my posts. You have done an incredible job with your truck.

mrclortho

Reaction score

This may or may not be true. It is true that not all 18's fit, but some do. When balancing, they will need to ensure to stick the weights on the inside of the wheel where the calipers won't knock them off.

Method 18" fit.

Ram04.jpg

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm sure this is the truck you're talking about. 18's do fit tight on 5th gens and might require different wheel weights but they work!

kmc-km725-terra-satin black-18x8.png

kmc-km725-terra-satin black-18x8 (1).png

Syrio

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure this is the truck you're talking about. 18's do fit tight on 5th gens and might require different wheel weights but they work!

View attachment 176099

View attachment 176100
I thought it was weird that the KMC Terra wheels are showing in this picture on a rebel. I've contacted several companies and all their suppliers say the KMC Terra 18" will NOT fit my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Off-Road Package. They specifically ask if I have the rebel. It seems the calipers are the issue. I am planning on sticking with 20" to avoid any issues.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought it was weird that the KMC Terra wheels are showing in this picture on a rebel. I've contacted several companies and all their suppliers say the KMC Terra 18" will NOT fit my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Off-Road Package. They specifically ask if I have the rebel. It seems the calipers are the issue. I am planning on sticking with 20" to avoid any issues.
Didn't realize there are 2 different calipers, or they are just assuming because what the book they're looking at says.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Didn't realize there are 2 different calipers, or they are just assuming because what the book they're looking at says.

Rebels have no different calipers.

They'll fit but the clearance is tight with 18's. I've had two different sets of methods and they are tight but they fit.

I cleaned up my calipers with a grinders, basically just cleaned up the casting marks to allow for thag extra mm of clearance but many members have aftermarket 18's and they haven't done that.

I'm planning in getting some KMC GSR's soon here and I'm pretty sure they'll fit.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't think so, people only go by what the book or computer tell them, like when upsizing tires and tire shops says they won't fit.

Yup, my previous set of Methods was deemed as won't fit by Method but they fit!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_122944_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_122944_Samsung Internet.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200903_144401.jpg
    20200903_144401.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 24

Syrio

Reaction score
I didn't mean to say they were different calipers. I just mentioned they asked if it was a rebel model. What I meant was the issue with fitting the 18 is the caliper. As you all mentioned the clearance is very tight and I find with the KMC Terra it may or may not fit. The companies do not want to risk selling you something that may or may not fit. They want to guarantee fitment. On the KMC Wheel website the only wheel that shows up when you filter by truck and 18" is the Riot SBL.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't mean to say they were different calipers. I just mentioned they asked if it was a rebel model. What I meant was the issue with fitting the 18 is the caliper. As you all mentioned the clearance is very tight and I find with the KMC Terra it may or may not fit. The companies do not want to risk selling you something that may or may not fit. They want to guarantee fitment. On the KMC Wheel website the only wheel that shows up when you filter by truck and 18" is the Riot SBL.
if you're in socal we can order and test fit for you before mounting tires.
i'll personally test fit and do my magic to make it happen. usually wheels can be returned as long as tires are NOT mounted.

Fcso227

Reaction score
I like those mud flaps. Which ones are they?

These are the ones. Also, if you decide to get these, the orange stickers that you see in the pictures do not work and will fail. I ended up putting another screw in that area. Other than that, I really like them and they're really sturdy.

Syrio

Reaction score
if you're in socal we can order and test fit for you before mounting tires.
i'll personally test fit and do my magic to make it happen. usually wheels can be returned as long as tires are NOT mounted.
Thanks for the offer but I am in Canada. It's a little bit far. I'm pretty sure I will pull the trigger on the 20" KMC Terra wheels and the 275/60/R20 Nokian Outpost nAT tires. I think I will be very happy with that combination. I am just waiting a little bit before I go back to the tire shop and place the order. I planned on running my studded tires until the end of February.

These are the ones. Also, if you decide to get these, the orange stickers that you see in the pictures do not work and will fail. I ended up putting another screw in that area. Other than that, I really like them and they're really sturdy.
Thanks for posting the link and the tip. I saw the comments on the Amazon post about not trusting the 3M sticker.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but I am in Canada. It's a little bit far. I'm pretty sure I will pull the trigger on the 20" KMC Terra wheels and the 275/60/R20 Nokian Outpost nAT tires. I think I will be very happy with that combination. I am just waiting a little bit before I go back to the tire shop and place the order. I planned on running my studded tires until the end of February.

Thanks for posting the link and the tip. I saw the comments on the Amazon post about not trusting the 3M sticker.
ooof canada sounds really cold lol
i'm glad you found the wheel spec you like! don't forget to post pics!

Users who are viewing this thread