5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker question

Adjutant

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am putting either Alpine S2-s69c, or Alpine R2-s69c in my front doors. The R2 sounds much better, they are worth the extra $170

My question is about their ratings are 85 watts RMS for the S2, and 100 watts RMS for the R2.

I am using an Alpine Optim8 that provides 50X6 and 300X2.

Will I get the better sound out of the R2 if I am only putting 50 watts to them? Is 50 watts under powered for a 100 watt speaker?

I hope this question makes sense

DeanM2

Reaction score
Here is some info about sound...
Sound is usually measured in db. It takes a 100% increase in power (watts) to equal a 3 db increase in sound. And, importantly, it takes about a 2-3 db increase in the sound level for the average human to even perceive there is an increase in the sound.

Sooo, the difference in power-ratings between these 2 speakers is almost insignificant. Go with the speakers with the sounds that you like best.

Adjutant

Reaction score
hey! Thats fantastic information. Thanks so much for the insight
Ill be going with the R2s

BigBuss54

Reaction score
Any upgrade is better than stock. I just upgraded all 6 of my speakers to Kicker DS and without an amp they sound soooo much better and have more bass. Just ordered a wiring kit for an amp just to see how much an amp powering these speakers could push them even harder.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Any upgrade is better than stock. I just upgraded all 6 of my speakers to Kicker DS and without an amp they sound soooo much better and have more bass. Just ordered a wiring kit for an amp just to see how much an amp powering these speakers could push them even harder.
I agree 100%! My factory 6 speaker system sounded "muddy", it was awful. I started out with just replacing the speakers with Infinity's which led to a powered sub which, in turn, begat a Kicker 200.4 amp / DSL. I LOVE my system now! The Kicker amp has some kind of Voodoo black magic programming that kicks a**! My truck actually sounds like it has a center dash speaker now!

Adjutant

Reaction score
Thats what I need to hear. I am planning on doing this in 2 stages. New dash and 4 doors, and an Optim8 amp/DSP.
Ill then move on to subwoofer if needed.

I went into a place "Car Toys" and told the guy I just wanted new speakers. He went off saying I needed everything under the sun. He ended giving me a $4,500 estimate. Dude!....I told you I just want speakers

BigBuss54

Reaction score
Thats what I need to hear. I am planning on doing this in 2 stages. New dash and 4 doors, and an Optim8 amp/DSP.
Ill then move on to subwoofer if needed.

I went into a place "Car Toys" and told the guy I just wanted new speakers. He went off saying I needed everything under the sun. He ended giving me a $4,500 estimate. Dude!....I told you I just want speakers
That’s nuts. But like I said. No stock amp. Only put in all new kicker speakers. 4 6x9s and 2 3.5s. Just that alone was an upgrade. I finally have real bass. I’m going to try the amp probably next week and hook it to the 6x9s to see if I’m am happy with the bass from then. If not. I’ll pick up a 5 channel amp and add a sub.

Okie22

Reaction score
I agree 100%! My factory 6 speaker system sounded "muddy", it was awful. I started out with just replacing the speakers with Infinity's which led to a powered sub which, in turn, begat a Kicker 200.4 amp / DSL. I LOVE my system now! The Kicker amp has some kind of Voodoo black magic programming that kicks a**! My truck actually sounds like it has a center dash speaker now!
@Geddyflea I'd like to hear more on your 200.4 amp install. I'm seriously considering installing one and have been researching. I'll probably go 4-channel so I retain the fade/balance. Was/is there a specific harness you used? Plug-n-play options?

Geddyflea

Reaction score
@Geddyflea I'd like to hear more on your 200.4 amp install. I'm seriously considering installing one and have been researching. I'll probably go 4-channel so I retain the fade/balance. Was/is there a specific harness you used? Plug-n-play options?
It was a really simple install. I used a ANC bypass harness (idatalink Bch3), cut it in half and soldered the amps input wiring harness to one half, and the output harness to the other half. The Kicker is small enough to fit under the driver's seat next to the ANC.

Okie22

Reaction score
It was a really simple install. I used a ANC bypass harness (idatalink Bch3), cut it in half and soldered the amps input wiring harness to one half, and the output harness to the other half. The Kicker is small enough to fit under the driver's seat next to the ANC.
Probably a stupid question, but how do you determine which is input and output on the factory wiring?

Car audio electrical has never been my forté

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but how do you determine which is input and output on the factory wiring?

Car audio electrical has never been my forté
If I'm not mistaken, on the ANC input is the larger white connector and output is the smaller black connector. I'll check mine tomorrow and let you know but i would still verify all of this. The amp has the input and output sides marked. If you buy the amp from Crutchfield, you can always call them for tech support if you run into any problems or have any questions.

Okie22

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you! Do you just bypass the ANC altogether then?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you! Do you just bypass the ANC altogether then?
Yes, mine is completely bypassed although it still receives power and canbus - I didn't want the computer to get mad at me 😄.

I bought the PAC APH-CH01 harness (I have the Base 6 stereo)

Geddyflea

Reaction score

Car audio electrical has never been my
I checked and I've got mine wired with the larger white ANC connector as the input and the smaller black ANC connector as the output. It works and I've not fried anything so that must be correct 😁👍

Okie22

Reaction score
@Geddyflea sorry to bother ya. Was wondering if you could compare your install setup to what I just put together.

I'm assuming since the ANC is bypassed altogether, removing it shouldn't be an issue?

EDIT: Swapped the input and output plugs and got it going. Sounds great!

Attachments

• 20240204_141453.jpg
    20240204_141453.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240204_141456.jpg
    20240204_141456.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240204_141504.jpg
    20240204_141504.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240204_141512.jpg
    20240204_141512.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Adjutant

Reaction score
Just a quick follow up. I had the Alpine R2-s69c (dash and front doors) and the Alpine R2-S69 (rear doors) installed in my truck today. They are playing off the stock Alpine amp in my truck. They sound absolutely incredible!! I cant believe how impressive the soundstage is. 20 is the loudest that I went. The bass was shaking, no distortion. Theres no need (for me) to go any louder than that. Even though they are 85RMS speakers, the 50 watts per channel is plenty!

The rears are coaxial, and the FILL the back seat with sound, and spill into the front a little bit. Its like being completely surrounded.

I was planning on doing a second stage with an Optim8 amp and sub. The guys at the car audio place told me they didnt think that I needed the new amp. I totally agree. They basically kissed $1,700 goodbye by making that recommendation.

If you are in the Houston area, Bico Stereo is the place to go. They did my last Ram also.

All in, it was $750 and worth every penny

PS. I didnt use an ANC bypass harness, and there is no interference at all in the sound. Not sure if its because everything was Alpine

Last edited:

Geddyflea

Reaction score
@Geddyflea sorry to bother ya. Was wondering if you could compare your install setup to what I just put together.

I'm assuming since the ANC is bypassed altogether, removing it shouldn't be an issue?

EDIT: Swapped the input and output plugs and got it going. Sounds great!
EXCELLENT!!! I'm glad it's working for ya!

mattm777

Reaction score
That’s nuts. But like I said. No stock amp. Only put in all new kicker speakers. 4 6x9s and 2 3.5s. Just that alone was an upgrade. I finally have real bass. I’m going to try the amp probably next week and hook it to the 6x9s to see if I’m am happy with the bass from then. If not. I’ll pick up a 5 channel amp and add a sub.
Interested in doing a kicker setup for my 5th gen ram 1500 could you provide me with what kicker 6x9s and 3.5s you bought?
I’m interested in doing a kicker setup on my 5th gen ram 1500 crew cab and was wondering if you could provide me with the product numbers for the kicker 6x9s and 3.5s you used. Are both the front and rear door 6x9s kicker ds 3 way speakers? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread