5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who here is looking forward to the Hurricane?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Anyone here NOT getting a Hemi and purposely waiting the Hurricane release?
Do you think the Hurricane release will help or hurt sales?
Any chance the new engine hurt sales enough to warrant bringing back the Hemi in the future?

lonepeak

Reaction score
Definitely waiting for the Hurricane and anxious to see comparisons to the 1500 with the 5.7. Turbo 6 way of the future but hard for many to give up the V8. I welcome the new tech after 8 years enjoying my 5.7. Hard to beat that sound though.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like everything else, people complain and shy away only to come around eventually.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Like everything else, people complain and shy away only to come around eventually.

I do recall lots of complaining when they changed the look to a smaller grill, but it does appear people overcame that. :cool:
But swapping out a proven engine, seems a lot different than changing body style.
I am mostly concerned about durability.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree! Time will tell like always. Many run the Ecoboost and hated when ford changed.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is another almost identical thread. While I'm not going to rush out and buy one, I look forward to the new engine. Being a more performance geared individual, the increased performance and potential for easier increase with a turbo system is very appreciated. I will miss the V8 rumble, but as I'm passing the guys with the slower, loud Hemi's, I will still be smiling. Might even let off the gas for some blow off valve action, while next to them. That is if I ever buy one

Reverse

Reaction score
Hurricane or Hemi, truck prices are now at a level where I have a hard time justifying getting any new truck. Mine's only 4 years old, but would cost me at least $15,000 more to buy today than in 2019. Also, buying a whole new engine design in it's first few years is not for me.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pretty much drive stuff until the wheels fall off. Between wife and I, a new vehicle happens about every ten years give or take. So no, the "hurricane" will probably either be matured or abandoned by the time I go shopping again.

But here's some random tangent thoughts: :unsure:
The inline six could be a hemi if they design a 2-valve crossflow head for it.
Would that be a "hemicane", or a "hurmi"?
I assume it would still be DOHC either way, so good RPM potential.
It's unclear if the hemi combustion chamber shape would be a useful advantage in the context of forced induction - having more valve area might be more useful.
Just throwing it out there... Thoughts?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
As a current owner of a Hemi and an EcoBoost, I'll take the n/a v8 every time. The EB is a good engine when newer, but there's way more to go wrong on it as it ages. Multiple timing chains, two turbos and everything that goes with that, and GDI design makes me not want to play that game again.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a current owner of a Hemi and an EcoBoost, I'll take the n/a v8 every time. The EB is a good engine when newer, but there's way more to go wrong on it as it ages. Multiple timing chains, two turbos and everything that goes with that, and GDI design makes me not want to play that game again.
These vehicles have way too much extra **** now days for anything to go wrong and electrical makes it worse!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to smoking it in the quarter mile
Unless you have some engine work and a tune, hood luck. Or an inexperienced driver that doesn't know how turbos work.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to smoking it in the quarter mile

What mods do you have that gives you an additional 25 HP and 59 ft lbs of torque? Even then you would only have the same HP and torque as the standard hurricane engine.

tjcart

Reaction score
What mods do you have that gives you an additional 25 HP and 59 ft lbs of torque? Even then you would only have the same HP and torque as the standard hurricane engine.
The Hemi will take it out of the hole easily, and the Hurricane will be playing catchup for the entire quarter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hemi will take it out of the hole easily, and the Hurricane will be playing catchup for the entire quarter.
Maybe if the person driving the Hurricane truck doesn't know how turbos work.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure they would even need to understand how a turbo works. Just mash the pedal to the floor and the Hurricane equipped Ram should lead a similarly equipped 5.7 Ram at every distance. It's my understanding that the advantage of having smaller twin turbos over a single larger turbo is that it makes boost faster and lower RPMS. The Hurricane makes max torque at 3500 rpm and max HP at 4500 rpm.

According to this site the much heavier Wagoneer with standard Hurricane engine would soundly trounce a lighter Ram with 5.7. The Hurricane is already about 1.5 seconds in the lead by the time they reach 60.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure they would even need to understand how a turbo works. Just mash the pedal to the floor and the Hurricane equipped Ram should lead a similarly equipped 5.7 Ram at every distance. It's my understanding that the advantage of having smaller twin turbos over a single larger turbo is that it makes boost faster and lower RPMS. The Hurricane makes max torque at 3500 rpm and max HP at 4500 rpm.

According to this site the much heavier Wagoneer with standard Hurricane engine would soundly trounce a lighter Ram with 5.7. The Hurricane is already about 1.5 seconds in the lead by the time they reach 60.
Traction limitation when boost kicks in and not knowing how to lift the foot off the pedal. Brake stalling to get turbos spooking before launch. You can't just mash the throttle and expect good results. But that goes for the Hemi as well

Users who are viewing this thread