5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New ‘23 Battery Voltage Issue?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but need some help:

Was about -10F.

Was driving, stopped at a red light. Got an error that my Start/Stop module was shutting off. Had to restart my truck to get it going.

Got home, and noticed that my voltage was dropping. Hovered around 10v and then started my drive to the dealer. About a mile in it said "Power Reserve Mode" and my Climate Control module shut off (and my windshield froze). Then basically every light enabled and my power steering went out, and the display died.

Got to the dealership, put my truck in Park and it would not allow me to go back into Drive.
Shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. Had to push it into the service area.

They charged the battery and now it's acting fine. Sounds like there's a recall around eTorque Start Stop but they seem to think its unrelated.

I'm concerned obviously that this is something bigger. They don't want to hand me a brick but they're out of ideas of what caused it.
They don't really want to replace batteries but would as last attempt, but then we can't identify if there's a power supply issue.

Anyone seen this happen?
there's a recall for e-torque start/ stop?

my money is on the e-torque battery. E-torque works by 48v generator charging the lithium battery, which then charges your starting battery. If the lithium battery dies then the starting battery won't get charged. I'm no expert but just going through the logical thinking process here based on how e-torque works.

or, swap the starting battery and see what happens. That's the easiest solution so far.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
there's a recall for e-torque start/ stop?

my money is on the e-torque battery. E-torque works by 48v generator charging the lithium battery, which then charges your starting battery. If the lithium battery dies then the starting battery won't get charged. I'm no expert but just going through the logical thinking process here based on how e-torque works.

or, swap the starting battery and see what happens. That's the easiest solution so far.
I don't think that's the way it works. The Etorque unit is dual voltage, both 12 and 48 volt.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think that's the way it works. The Etorque unit is dual voltage, both 12 and 48 volt.
No, it's just 48V.
There is a converter to go to 12V.
Without the eTorque battery the truck is toast.
At least that's how I understand it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, it's just 48V.
There is a converter to go to 12V.
Without the eTorque battery the truck is toast.
At least that's how I understand it.
I researched it, and you are right, the unit only puts out 48 volts. The 48 to 12 volt converter is inside the battery pack, it's not even it's own part. I thought I read somewhere the unit had two sets of windings. That's the internet for ya. I searched now until I found it directly from Chrysler, when it was engineered.

dski

Reaction score
My 22 e torque just did this last weekend. Was around 0F but it’s a garage parked truck.

I got down to 11.2v but made it home. Confirmed with volt meter the low voltage. Recharged the 12v which took several hours at 8amps so must have been really low. Load tested the fully charged 12v and it was “weak”.

Everything has returned to normal driving this week. However I notice after sitting overnight parked the battery voltage is dropping to around 12.0v.

Pretty sure it’s my factory 12v battery on the way out….

dski

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but need some help:

Was about -10F.

Was driving, stopped at a red light. Got an error that my Start/Stop module was shutting off. Had to restart my truck to get it going.

Got home, and noticed that my voltage was dropping. Hovered around 10v and then started my drive to the dealer. About a mile in it said "Power Reserve Mode" and my Climate Control module shut off (and my windshield froze). Then basically every light enabled and my power steering went out, and the display died.

Got to the dealership, put my truck in Park and it would not allow me to go back into Drive.
Shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. Had to push it into the service area.

They charged the battery and now it's acting fine. Sounds like there's a recall around eTorque Start Stop but they seem to think its unrelated.

I'm concerned obviously that this is something bigger. They don't want to hand me a brick but they're out of ideas of what caused it.
They don't really want to replace batteries but would as last attempt, but then we can't identify if there's a power supply issue.

Anyone seen this happen?
See above post… I screwed up the quote reply….

omaha_cyclone

Reaction score
My 22 e torque just did this last weekend. Was around 0F but it’s a garage parked truck.

I got down to 11.2v but made it home. Confirmed with volt meter the low voltage. Recharged the 12v which took several hours at 8amps so must have been really low. Load tested the fully charged 12v and it was “weak”.

Everything has returned to normal driving this week. However I notice after sitting overnight parked the battery voltage is dropping to around 12.0v.

Pretty sure it’s my factory 12v battery on the way out….
Dealer sent me home with no ideas. Battery won’t show a low voltage after recharging. Really strange.

milesb

Reaction score
My 2023 Rebel battery died while driving 2 weeks ago. Very similar issue. I have video of it. Two blocks into my drive I got a low battery warning, then very quick warnings saying it was shutting down some systems. The battery lost volts over a 25 minute period...from over 11.5v down to 8.4v before all hell broke loose (heater went to high, dash went dead, truck locked into park) and I had to call for a tow. Dealer charged up the battery and said it's fine. They saw initial low batt errors but said they couldn't find any issue. They suspected my dashcam or something I plugged in caused the issue which is utter nonsense. Something internal definitely caused a cascade failure that stopped the battery from charging while driving.

Related: I was camping several days earlier and ran down the 12v battery while parked. I jumped it with one of those Noco smart chargers and drove it around offroad for a bit. It started fine the next day. I drove it another 3.5 hours with a trailer the next day. I drove it to work 2 days later no problem.

Ever since the issue, I've been monitoring with a voltmeter and the battery hovers around 12.24v.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2023 Rebel battery died while driving 2 weeks ago. Very similar issue. I have video of it. Two blocks into my drive I got a low battery warning, then very quick warnings saying it was shutting down some systems. The battery lost volts over a 25 minute period...from over 11.5v down to 8.4v before all hell broke loose (heater went to high, dash went dead, truck locked into park) and I had to call for a tow. Dealer charged up the battery and said it's fine. They saw initial low batt errors but said they couldn't find any issue. They suspected my dashcam or something I plugged in caused the issue which is utter nonsense. Something internal definitely caused a cascade failure that stopped the battery from charging while driving.

Related: I was camping several days earlier and ran down the 12v battery while parked. I jumped it with one of those Noco smart chargers and drove it around offroad for a bit. It started fine the next day. I drove it another 3.5 hours with a trailer the next day. I drove it to work 2 days later no problem.

Ever since the issue, I've been monitoring with a voltmeter and the battery hovers around 12.24v.
The battery may be fine, but there was something causing the alternator to not charge the battery. Once you start the truck, you should be able to remove the battery and keep driving as the alternator will power everything. Or if you have etorque, the etorque motor.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The battery may be fine, but there was something causing the alternator to not charge the battery. Once you start the truck, you should be able to remove the battery and keep driving as the alternator will power everything. Or if you have etorque, the etorque motor.
He's got a 2023, so needs to be the generator.

Your torque system needs to be serviced. Might be a bad mgu.
Should have no drain while the engine is on (even idle)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He's got a 2023, so needs to be the generator.

Your torque system needs to be serviced. Might be a bad mgu.
Should have no drain while the engine is on (even idle)
Didn't remember if they still had eco diesel in 23 Rebels.

U

User_3336

Lets see the video!

dski

Reaction score
Dealer sent me home with no ideas. Battery won’t show a low voltage after recharging. Really strange.
Same here. Recharged at home and it’s run fine for 2 weeks…. Didn’t even bother with the dealer; the find nothing unless there’s a computer code.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been clear. It's a Hemi eTorque. It's been fine for two weeks now but it was a scary glitch.
Check with a dealership and see if there are any HCP updates that can be done. There were a few on 2022 that changed how torque operated.

Users who are viewing this thread