5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REAR WINDOW LEAK

RGRam

Reaction score
I just received the letter from Stellantis about extending the warranty coverage an additional three years for the well known rear window leak issue. About a year ago mine started to leak a bit on each side of the window. My truck was out of the warranty period so I repaired it myself by using a few tubes of Permatex windshield silicone. It's been working fine so far with no issues even during torrential rain.

I am hesitant to have the repair done under the extended warranty as I have heard many people had the same issues pop up with the replacement window. I also hate the thought of the dealership removing my headliner...and causing damage to my vehicle. I can't decide if it's best to just leave well enough alone at this point.

Any thoughts or input on having the repair done are greatly appreciated.
Leave it alone. 50% of the repairs are not successful

Reactions: MJP
Reaction score
Since there are so many different flavors of leaks with varying amounts of success on trucks with an average price above $50K, I'm curious to know if there was a class action initiated?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since there are so many different flavors of leaks with varying amounts of success on trucks with an average price above $50K, I'm curious to know if there was a class action initiated?
Yes, the end result was the extended warranties for rear glass and third brake light

Reaction score
Yes, the end result was the extended warranties for rear glass and third brake light
Gotcha! Thanks!
I'm guess the rear window fix under this class action was the new, non-cracking frame? Mine seems to be poor adhesive frame-to-glass....

Freedom5

Reaction score
I sort of disagree with mikeru82 on the issue being the cracked frame. That was definitely an issue on the earlier models, but the newer models have a newer style frame that doesn't appear to be cracking. But, the windows still leak. Many have had the windows replaced due to the crack and got the new style, just to have the water leaking a year later. The issue appears to be with the adhesive being used. My back glass was leaking, but never had a frame crack. I fixed it by using flowable caulk to seal the window from the outside. The flowable caulk flows into the upper window channel and disappears between the glass and the body sealing up any and all pinholes in the factory adhesive. I've been leak free for awhile now and I didn't have to deal with the dealership.
Any pictures to show where to put it?

cerbo

Reaction score
just siliconed my 2024 because I m paranoid about water getting to that rear battery. Cheap insurance is my thought, even though some say it s a new design. It might be but who knows if leaks can still occur ?

Papcie03

Reaction score
I got a letter in the mail for the extended warranty on the third brake light but not for the back glass. My 2020 was built during the time period covered by the TSB that discusses the extended warranty on the back glass and the headliner has water stains in addition to the back glass frame being cracked in the same places as shown in the TSB. Took it to a dealer who confirmed the leak but they are telling me my truck only has an extended warranty on the third brake light and NOT on the back glass. They are telling me the TSB doesn't actually mean anything and that some VIP list needs to have my VIN on it for the warranty to be extended. Despite RAMCARES telling me in PM that my truck is covered for the back glass, the dealer disagrees. I contacted Ram support online and they first told me the glass wasn't covered. I brought up the TSB and extended warranty several times and they won't address it and instead just tell me to submit a paid invoice for consideration on some level of reimbursement.

Asked the dealer to try to work with the manufacturer and they just say they have no way to contact them directly which I'm certain is a lie.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got a letter in the mail for the extended warranty on the third brake light but not for the back glass. My 2020 was built during the time period covered by the TSB that discusses the extended warranty on the back glass and the headliner has water stains in addition to the back glass frame being cracked in the same places as shown in the TSB. Took it to a dealer who confirmed the leak but they are telling me my truck only has an extended warranty on the third brake light and NOT on the back glass. They are telling me the TSB doesn't actually mean anything and that some VIP list needs to have my VIN on it for the warranty to be extended. Despite RAMCARES telling me in PM that my truck is covered for the back glass, the dealer disagrees. I contacted Ram support online and they first told me the glass wasn't covered. I brought up the TSB and extended warranty several times and they won't address it and instead just tell me to submit a paid invoice for consideration on some level of reimbursement.

Asked the dealer to try to work with the manufacturer and they just say they have no way to contact them directly which I'm certain is a lie.
What's your mileage at? I just had work done on my 2020 and one of the items the dealer did a one time courtesy repair on so I didn't have to pay for it. The dealer does the work they just have to submit to RAM, and dealer said there was a timeframe limit to fall in to and mileage. I want to say he said 24 months or 15k miles past the bumper to bumper expires

Users who are viewing this thread