5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM 5.3 litre...

A4Owner

Reaction score
So a buddy of mine bought a new Silverado with GMs 5.3 litre and get this, after 25,000 miles, the injectors are effed up. Is that even right? How can a brand new engine have deposits on the injectors? I owned a diesel Jetta in '02 that soared into the 300k's and I didn't even service the injectors once. Is GM just serious crap or did my buddy may-be b/s me about the quality of fuel he was using? Like I'm sorry but that engine should be "sparkling" on the inside after just 25k's....

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine bought a new Silverado with GMs 5.3 litre and get this, after 25,000 miles, the injectors are effed up. Is that even right? How can a brand new engine have deposits on the injectors? I owned a diesel Jetta in '02 that soared into the 300k's and I didn't even service the injectors once. Is GM just serious crap or did my buddy may-be b/s me about the quality of fuel he was using? Like I'm sorry but that engine should be "sparkling" on the inside after just 25k's....
That's one of the differences between direct injection and the fuel injection we have. With direct ejection the injectors are in the cylinder so they get deposits on them pretty quickly.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.3 with direct injection needs the fuel system to be maintained regularly as stated above, the injectors can get gunky fast.

Also good quality gas is important.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay got it. So the fact that, knowing my buddy, he FOR SURE cut corners on fuel quality, if now why he is in this predicament?

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay so 7 cylinders showed PSI readings of 230 the "bad" one 201...assume that's the one plugged up by lousy fuel?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay got it. So the fact that, knowing my buddy, he FOR SURE cut corners on fuel quality, if now why he is in this predicament?
No, has nothing to do with the fuel you use.

He will need to get a catch can for that truck.
I had problems at 20k miles and even got a check engine light on and went into the dealership and they told me there was a ton of oil inside my intake and throttle body and they had to clean stuff out. They said this was normal every 10-15k miles on the truck LOL.
That was when I realized for some cars\trucks catch cans are essentially required to prevent oil and crap going in places they shouldn't.

On the Hemi we don't have those problems (to that extent) because fuel cleans areas that would get gunk built up on the 5.3 from GM. I believe some Fords have a similar problem but were made in a way so it was not as bad as GM (but not like the design of the HEMI).

You can lookup catch cans on GDI engines and learn a lot about what is going on with those 5.3s, it's not all BS marketing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No, has nothing to do with the fuel you use.

He will need to get a catch can for that truck.
I had problems at 20k miles and even got a check engine light on and went into the dealership and they told me there was a ton of oil inside my intake and throttle body and they had to clean stuff out. They said this was normal every 10-15k miles on the truck LOL.
That was when I realized for some cars\trucks catch cans are essentially required to prevent oil and crap going in places they shouldn't.

On the Hemi we don't have those problems (to that extent) because fuel cleans areas that would get gunk built up on the 5.3 from GM. I believe some Fords have a similar problem but were made in a way so it was not as bad as GM (but not like the design of the HEMI).

You can lookup catch cans on GDI engines and learn a lot about what is going on with those 5.3s, it's not all BS marketing.
Clogged fuel injectors has a lot to do with the fuel you use. When you shut down an engine, it's common for left over fuel vapors to hang around the combustion chamber and intake. As temperatures go down, the vaporized gas settles on the surfaces, including injectors. As the fuel evaporates it leaves a residue behind. Over time this residue can build up, affecting fuel injectors and reducing flow. The more impurities in the fuel the faster this residue builds up.

While catch cans do a lot in helping to prevent deposits on intake valves in GDI engines, and the intake system in general in all engines, they won't really help keep fuel injectors clean. The solvent ability of the fuel coming out of the injectors keeps the deposits in the intake air charge from building up on the injectors.

A4Owner

Reaction score
So short of the Hemi tick, which as I am learning, relates more to: a) chronic idling b) using the wrong oil c) using the oil way too long or d) the unimaginably slim chance that Chrysler does indeed build a **** V8, these Chrysler V8s really are better than the comps from Ford and GM.

dano66

Reaction score
When I had my 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost, I used Shell 93 gas and it really helped.. Been using Shell gas ever since and the Hemi loves the Amsoil!

RAL

Reaction score
GM sells hundreds of thousands of trucks and 5.3s, and generally does a very good job with V8s. I would be very hesitant to draw any conclusions based on n=1. Same thing as assuming lifters are a widespread issue on Chrysler V8s based on anecdotes here.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
GM sells hundreds of thousands of trucks and 5.3s, and generally does a very good job with V8s. I would be very hesitant to draw any conclusions based on n=1. Same thing as assuming lifters are a widespread issue on Chrysler V8s based on anecdotes here
The 5.3 is a very good motor with thick cylinder walls that can handle a lot of boost. It's a very common and swap known as "junkyard 5.3 swap" because you can find them in just about every parts yard. Type that into a YouTube search and you will see.

Reactions: RAL

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned 5.3 in my 2016 GMC Serria and I never had issues with it and now my bro n law has the truck the engine is running beautifully. I think the truck has 70k on it now.

The Trans is another story, LOL!

We also have a 2021 GMC with 5.3 and it has been just fine, next service it will and the induction system & fuel system cleaned.

The one thing that stands out(IMO) is the fuel mileage for the 5.3 is simply amazing for a V8, I can easily get 25mpg on our Yukon for road trips. My Serria would also return good MPG, I think I recorded 28mpg on of my trips.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.3 is a very good motor with thick cylinder walls that can handle a lot of boost. It's a very common and swap known as "junkyard 5.3 swap" because you can find them in just about every parts yard. Type that into a YouTube search and you will see.
GDI has only been on the 5.3 since 2014.
Junkyard swaps have been around so much longer.

Also, just because an engine is swapped doesn't mean it will still run the same injection style of the donor vehicle.

The GM SB engine is like a Barbie Doll. Plenty of accessories available.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Got it thanks. To be clear, still aiming for a 5.7 LTD or a Power Wagon once everyone else goes electric.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned 5.3 in my 2016 GMC Serria and I never had issues with it and now my bro n law has the truck the engine is running beautifully. I think the truck has 70k on it now.

The Trans is another story, LOL!

We also have a 2021 GMC with 5.3 and it has been just fine, next service it will and the induction system & fuel system cleaned.

The one thing that stands out(IMO) is the fuel mileage for the 5.3 is simply amazing for a V8, I can easily get 25mpg on our Yukon for road trips. My Serria would also return good MPG, I think I recorded 28mpg on of my trips.
What speeds were those trips at?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What speeds were those trips at?
My 2018 Silverado with a 5.3 could get 24 mpg on the highway at 74mpg easy running on all 8 cylinders (I had afm [gm's mds] disabled too).
The best I ever got was 30.0 mpg over 75 miles all flat highway. On average I got between 21-26 on the highway and around 16-17 city.
Those engines love the highway at constant speeds.

n8zcc

Reaction score
It is my understanding that pump gasoline is sold meeting government-directed additives designed to keep the internals of the engine clean. My wife's car is a 2013 with a GM Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine and zero issues after 88,000 miles. I doubt it was the gasoline that caused the 5.3L's issues.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... these Chrysler V8s really are better than the comps from Ford and GM.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion based on a single example of a problem with a low miles 5.3 Chevy motor.

When you consider a typical automobile engine will turn at more than 1000 revolutions per minute while an injector will pulse hundreds of times per minute for hours on end it's a wonder there are not many more failures.

2022 Rebel blown engine

Casull

Reaction score
My 2018 Silverado with a 5.3 could get 24 mpg on the highway at 74mpg easy running on all 8 cylinders (I had afm [gm's mds] disabled too).
The best I ever got was 30.0 mpg over 75 miles all flat highway. On average I got between 21-26 on the highway and around 16-17 city.
Those engines love the highway at constant speeds.

Seems odd then that they are rated for 1 more mpg than the hemi. Seems if that were actually happening, they would be crowing about it.

Users who are viewing this thread