5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RF Hub ?

houndman

Reaction score
Since it seems to be a very common problem to have the rear window leak and often soaking the rf hub making it so you can’t even start the truck, I was wondering if anyone has tried to protect the rf hub before this happens? Maybe a sealed plastic/abs box of some sort that rf signals can still pass through or a sheet of butyl covering over it so the water cannot get to it? I’m just trying to prevent being stranded because the truck won’t start due to an issue that seems like it will eventually happen.
ITS ME AGAIN.there is 10 yr extended warranty n a new 3rd lamp thats not straight a little curved. You cant move module no wire left in harness.look at your headliner n youll know then....yes i think just a plastic bag n duct tape to wrap it quick...its not mount grounded. Has a ground right below in carpet. Fknaay ,you gotta seal all 3 up immediately,antenna with clear. N i used gasket sealer. N put 3rd lite back n still a crack so i siliconedthe top of lite. Also if you leave slider open in rain your done..Gotta pull seat. On the roof water goes around antenna,to lite n is funneled in n channeled off. But cheap gaskets crack...also the module is a plastic box with a small elec board in it. Simple..I dont think it gets hot or needs to breathe.No weep holes...But a bead of silicone may do the trick .plugs are not sealed n top of box is whete it opens ..STUPID.BOX OPENING SHOULD FACE DOWN...I ALREADY ORDERED PART ON THE BAY...N NEW N CHEAPER THEN DEALER BY150.00...

irishwake63

Reaction score
I fabricated a piece of flashing to go over the module just in case it started leaking, I dont seem to have a leak now but I dont want it to start and then have an issue and a leak I can deal with the leak I used to own a large boat I know stuff lol

houndman

Reaction score
ITS ME AGAIN.there is 10 yr extended warranty n a new 3rd lamp thats not straight a little curved. You cant move module no wire left in harness.look at your headliner n youll know then....yes i think just a plastic bag n duct tape to wrap it quick...its not mount grounded. Has a ground right below in carpet. Fknaay ,you gotta seal all 3 up immediately,antenna with clear. N i used gasket sealer. N put 3rd lite back n still a crack so i siliconedthe top of lite. Also if you leave slider open in rain your done..Gotta pull seat. On the roof water goes around antenna,to lite n is funneled in n channeled off. But cheap gaskets crack...also the module is a plastic box with a small elec board in it. Simple..I dont think it gets hot or needs to breathe.No weep holes...But a bead of silicone may do the trick .plugs are not sealed n top of box is whete it opens ..STUPID.BOX OPENING SHOULD FACE DOWN...I ALREADY ORDERED PART ON THE BAY...N NEW N CHEAPER THEN DEALER BY150.00...
Dont need to wrap module with lead lolol Its what operates ignition n fobs...I think a good cple of bags n your ok n of course duct tape...The factory put a strip of ac foam between seat n back wall below slider.SO THEY KNEW WHAT WAS UP....Its also a dirt catcher when removing seat...The module board has all volts going thru it n can look like 50 other things going wrong.I load tested my battery with2 different testors to make sure. That fkn module may need to breathe...IDK..that...Lolol a piece of flashing may work also 2ft by 1 beNd it to make a hood.But its also an antenna n a receivor...WIRELESS.... so maybe no metal...YOUR CALL.N OH YEA. .GO OUT N GET IT DONE.I GOTTA RENT A CAR TO EAT THIS WEEKEND...IM FNNNN SERIOOUS LOLOLOLOLOL

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dont need to wrap module with lead lolol Its what operates ignition n fobs...I think a good cple of bags n your ok n of course duct tape...The factory put a strip of ac foam between seat n back wall below slider.SO THEY KNEW WHAT WAS UP....Its also a dirt catcher when removing seat...The module board has all volts going thru it n can look like 50 other things going wrong.I load tested my battery with2 different testors to make sure. That fkn module may need to breathe...IDK..that...Lolol a piece of flashing may work also 2ft by 1 beNd it to make a hood.But its also an antenna n a receivor...WIRELESS.... so maybe no metal...YOUR CALL.N OH YEA. .GO OUT N GET IT DONE.I GOTTA RENT A CAR TO EAT THIS WEEKEND...IM FNNNN SERIOOUS LOLOLOLOLOL
I mean, the whole cab of the truck is metal, so there that.

mowjoeram

Reaction score
Since it seems to be a very common problem to have the rear window leak and often soaking the rf hub making it so you can’t even start the truck, I was wondering if anyone has tried to protect the rf hub before this happens? Maybe a sealed plastic/abs box of some sort that rf signals can still pass through or a sheet of butyl covering over it so the water cannot get to it? I’m just trying to prevent being stranded because the truck won’t start due to an issue that seems like it will eventually happen.

Attachments

• PXL_20240116_233254768.jpg
    PXL_20240116_233254768.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 75

raygun9

Reaction score
This is exactally what I was thinking. What did you use?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

skyhawk42

Reaction score
More or less what I had in mind, but I’d probably go overkill and seal around the harness going into it too.

mowjoeram

Reaction score
This is exactally what I was thinking. What did you use?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
I fabbed out a small plastic tote and left the bottom open but sealed the top and sides with bathroom silicone. I even sealed the back window was well from the outside using dynaflex ultra weather proof and foam rope to fill the void between the window and body of the truck.

Tonkadog

Reaction score
I dont even know what leaked yet dealer said probably 3rd brake light, but it did fry the rf hub, dealer replaced and placed new one in plastic bag, recommended everyone do that. Pennies for a bag and he said all these truck leak it just when, save yourself the pain place it in a plastic bag

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I dont even know what leaked yet dealer said probably 3rd brake light, but it did fry the rf hub, dealer replaced and placed new one in plastic bag, recommended everyone do that. Pennies for a bag and he said all these truck leak it just when, save yourself the pain place it in a plastic bag
How did they put the bag on? Does the RF job get hot at all?

cerbo

Reaction score
I have a 24 and I did seal up the rear window and light as best as I could with silicone . You really can t see it in the tops of the window channel and light. My question is I wonder if you start messing with covering the module and the part itself or something goes bad that they won t warranty anything? Does anyone have easy directions to gaining access to that area?

Tonkadog

Reaction score
How did they put the bag on? Does the RF job get hot at all?
It was screwed to back wall, took off wall, placed it in a bag size of freezer back and tapped it shut and left it there didn’t bolt back on to the wall

Tonkadog

Reaction score
I have a 24 and I did seal up the rear window and light as best as I could with silicone . You really can t see it in the tops of the window channel and light. My question is I wonder if you start messing with covering the module and the part itself or something goes bad that they won t warranty anything? Does anyone have easy directions to gaining access to that area?

Tonkadog

Reaction score
It is literally right behind center rear seat you can reach up or down if you seat fold ms down. If seats dont fold a little harder but i cant see why if you placed it a dry bag that would effect anything except maybe keeping it from getting wet and fried. Again happened to me and dealer did it, i wish i did before issue

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
I took my seat out and slipped a ziploc baggie over the top. It will hopefully divert any potential water from getting to it. I also silicones the window frame, new third brake light and sealed the shark fin. I also checked the vents on the back wall to be sure they were installed correctly. I also had ever so slightly signs of water stains but nothing actually felt wet. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread