5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brand New ‘23 Battery Voltage Issue?

Snekpete

Reaction score
Well I got my brand new Limited with 5.7 ETorque.

Love the truck. But one question.

I know modern charging systems regulate voltage on these newer cars. But I’ve noticed my voltage at 12.7 the entire day, which included a long trip of about 50 miles each way.

Not sure if this is an issue, or not. Starts fine. Runs fine. No codes or anything. Thoughts?
Anywhere from 14 to 12.5 is perfectly normal. The eTorque charging works differently than a regular alternator. The MGU charges the 48 volt Lion battery and the Lion battery then charges the lead acid battery. I notice that when it is hot my voltage is lower than when the outside temperature is below freezing. This is probably due to the Lion battery being less efficient at colder temperatures.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on this, but with etorque charging the Lion battery which then charges the primary battery, isn't there different voltage between etorque and Lion battery as compared to between the lion battery and the primary battery? So, which voltage is the gage reporting?

Snekpete

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance on this, but with etorque charging the Lion battery which then charges the primary battery, isn't there different voltage between etorque and Lion battery as compared to between the lion battery and the primary battery? So, which voltage is the gage reporting?
I am not on expert on eTorque, but the MGU is sending 48 volts to the Lion battery so it appears that the gauge is reporting the voltage of the 12 volt lead acid battery. A simple voltmeter check could test this theory. It is said that the oil pressure gauge does not report the actual oil pressure so it is entirely possible that the voltage gauge is not reporting the actual lead acid battery voltage.

AutoMatic.jpg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had to edit a previous post. Bad math. A 12V battery is 12.6 volts. Old age and late night.:sleep:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 22 w/eTorque always sits at 14.7 when turned on.

The batteries in these trucks are known to go back so if it's brand new just run it until it dies then get it towed and replaced by Ram.
There are also some rogue battery drains in this silly complex system but Ram will outright refuse to trace it down so hopefully it just a bad battery.

Snekpete

Reaction score
My 22 w/eTorque always sits at 14.7 when turned on.

The batteries in these trucks are known to go back so if it's brand new just run it until it dies then get it towed and replaced by Ram.
There are also some rogue battery drains in this silly complex system but Ram will outright refuse to trace it down so hopefully it just a bad battery.
Yes, I checked my voltage indicator today and it was at 14.1. I think that 14.5 to 12.5 is average and perfectly normal. A couple of tenths either way is also probably normal. Unless there is a problem, I wouldn't be concerned with the voltage indicator. I do, however, keep track of the mileage as it is a good earlier indicator of a problem if it drops significantly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, I checked my voltage indicator today and it was at 14.1. I think that 14.5 to 12.5 is average and perfectly normal. A couple of tenths either way is also probably normal. Unless there is a problem, I wouldn't be concerned with the voltage indicator. I do, however, keep track of the mileage as it is a good earlier indicator of a problem if it drops significantly.
Just checked mine a few minutes ago as my truck was off since I changed it's oil yesterday and it's sitting at 11.7v. Will likely shoot back up after a few moments of being on I suspect when it engages the eTorque battery to charge the main unit.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Just checked mine a few minutes ago as my truck was off since I changed it's oil yesterday and it's sitting at 11.7v. Will likely shoot back up after a few moments of being on I suspect when it engages the eTorque battery to charge the main unit.
Yes, it generally takes 10 seconds or so for my truck to start charging the lead acid battery, at least judging by the lightning bolt dash icon.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, it generally takes 10 seconds or so for my truck to start charging the lead acid battery, at least judging by the lightning bolt dash icon.
I didn't look to see what it was while driving, but toon it for a 30 minute drive and turned it off and it's at 12.2v now.
Unless I have problems with the battery I don't even worry about it, especially with etorque which makes it even harder to keep track of how your battery is running.

BowDown

Reaction score
My 20 with etorque starts at around 14.2-3 then will settle after driving a bit to 13.6-8.
I've driven Dallas to Houston and seen the voltage hover in the mid to high 13's the entire trip. Ive never seen mine in the 12's except when the factory battery took a :poop:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't look to see what it was while driving, but toon it for a 30 minute drive and turned it off and it's at 12.2v now.
Unless I have problems with the battery I don't even worry about it, especially with etorque which makes it even harder to keep track of how your battery is running.
Show up to 13.0 soon as I turned it on (under 30 seconds) and stayed aroud 13.4v.
When I parked and went to start it 30 minutes later it was at 11.7v then show up to 13v again.
Seems all normal to me.
No problems with my battery even being in the 12v range.

U

User_3336

You guys gonna drive yourselves nuts over this. If you got an Etorque truck, just let it operate like its supposed to. If something goes astray, I'm sure a warning light will show.

Kevinn

Reaction score
You guys gonna drive yourselves nuts over this. If you got an Etorque truck, just let it operate like its supposed to. If something goes astray, I'm sure a warning light will show.
In my case there were a couple lights and warnings. I guess I just assumed OP had the same :)

Philth

Reaction score
J
Voltage at 12.7 with etq is normal. I thought I had an issue when I first got mine. There are few treads on here about it. When the system needs to charge is will jump up in the 13’s. Normally I’m around 12.6 when it needs to charge It gets up to about 13.6- 13.9.
Just heard from the dealer and the techs are saying the same. Normal operation if it's an eTorque.

logboom

Reaction score
I drive my new 2023 Laramie with 5.7 Hemi Etourque an average of about 10 miles+- per week. Currently under 5,000 miles and purchased at the end of April 2023. It's garaged all of the time.
Does anyone recommend a battery tender hooked up to keep the 12v battery fresh??? I don't want to potentially mess up my warranties or the big battery behind the rear seats. So far no issue with cold starting.
Thanks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I drive my new 2023 Laramie with 5.7 Hemi Etourque an average of about 10 miles+- per week. Currently under 5,000 miles and purchased at the end of April 2023. It's garaged all of the time.
Does anyone recommend a battery tender hooked up to keep the 12v battery fresh??? I don't want to potentially mess up my warranties or the big battery behind the rear seats. So far no issue with cold starting.
Thanks
The "big battery behind the rear seats" is covered for 8 years\80k miles.
It also charges the 12v battery so not sure if it really matters keeping a tender on it.

100% will not void any warranties.

6of36

Reaction score
Thanks
Both batteries are charged by the MGU, but are different systems. The under hood battery, is a standard 12V, but barely big enough battery, while the behind the seat battery, is 48V. As long as you drive it once a week, you should be fine, but if you want a tender, as long as you hook it up right, you are fine too. Just be careful of the voltage sensor, on the negative terminal. Expect the 12V battery to last MAYBE 3 years. When you need one, upsize it.

omaha_cyclone

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but need some help:

Was about -10F.

Was driving, stopped at a red light. Got an error that my Start/Stop module was shutting off. Had to restart my truck to get it going.

Got home, and noticed that my voltage was dropping. Hovered around 10v and then started my drive to the dealer. About a mile in it said "Power Reserve Mode" and my Climate Control module shut off (and my windshield froze). Then basically every light enabled and my power steering went out, and the display died.

Got to the dealership, put my truck in Park and it would not allow me to go back into Drive.
Shut it off, and it wouldn't start again. Had to push it into the service area.

They charged the battery and now it's acting fine. Sounds like there's a recall around eTorque Start Stop but they seem to think its unrelated.

I'm concerned obviously that this is something bigger. They don't want to hand me a brick but they're out of ideas of what caused it.
They don't really want to replace batteries but would as last attempt, but then we can't identify if there's a power supply issue.

Anyone seen this happen?

Users who are viewing this thread