5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RF Hub ?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Since it seems to be a very common problem to have the rear window leak and often soaking the rf hub making it so you can’t even start the truck, I was wondering if anyone has tried to protect the rf hub before this happens? Maybe a sealed plastic/abs box of some sort that rf signals can still pass through or a sheet of butyl covering over it so the water cannot get to it? I’m just trying to prevent being stranded because the truck won’t start due to an issue that seems like it will eventually happen.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's very common, but I would concentrate on sealing the window instead.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
The rf hub is on the rear wall below the window. My first thought is the seal the rear window, but with the talk of the frame cracking, how would you seal it to prevent a leak if the crack occurs? I don’t check the back seat or headliner regularly so I just want to be sure if I do happen to be one of the unlucky ones that has the leak, that I can still start the truck. Having a wet interior and fixing a leak is one thing, having a towing bill, dealer diagnostics fee, new hub and programming fee, etc is something I am trying to avoid. Some else on here posted it was around $1800 when it happened to him. If I can take an afternoon to remove the rear seat and protect the hub rather than face a bill like that I’d say it’s worth it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's very common, but I would concentrate on sealing the window instead.
What if it's not the window leaking? I'd rather pull the seat and protect the RF hub and any other electronics back there than slather sealant all over the outside of the truck

GMetal

Reaction score
Dielectric grease could be used to seal out moisture on the plugs. It looks like the plugs are on the sides.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
What if it's not the window leaking? I'd rather pull the seat and protect the RF hub and any other electronics back there than slather sealant all over the outside of the truck
Then fix that leak too. Making the cab watertight is not impossible. I'd rather fix the leak, than fix a component damaged by a leak.

Reactions: Av1

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
Then fix that leak too. Making the cab watertight is not impossible. I'd rather fix the leak, than fix a component damaged by a leak.
with the prevalence of this issue, and no guaranteed longterm fix. For someone that is out of warrantee this seems like a decent questions. Especially if the leak back there damages this and causes your vehicle to become inoperative.

raygun9

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, its a good idea to investigate. Most people wont know they have a rear window leak until the RF hub is toast.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can't predict where or when the leak will come from. And, to me, spreading silicone allover the back of the cab to try and preemptively prevent any leaks is futile. As the silicone you apply can crack and leak as well.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You can't predict where or when the leak will come from. And, to me, spreading silicone allover the back of the cab to try and preemptively prevent any leaks is futile. As the silicone you apply can crack and leak as well.

I never once suggested, "spreading silicone all over the back of the cab". A small bead in the window channel isn't even visible. Silicone doesn't usually crack. It's too pliable. It might eventually fail, but I'd rather try that than accept water intrusion. Waterproofing the RF hub is a good idea, but it shouldn't be the primary fix.

I don't know what the RF hub looks like, but a dab of dielectric grease on the connectors might be enough to prevent failure.

Edit: Okay, here's what it looks like. I'm not sure if the panel on the back has a rubber o-ring to make it water proof. If not, I suppose you could remove it, seal it up with a bead of silicone, put dielectric grease on the connector and then it should be water proof.

RF Hub 1.jpg RF Hub 2.jpg RF Hub 3.jpg

Last edited:

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I’m not saying waterproofing it is the end all best fix, but it’s a thought to prevent being stranded in the case you don’t check often to see if you have a leak. In the end I would much rather have a cab that has no leaks, but from the number of people that do have the issue, I was just trying to think of a preventative from being stranded because my key fob won’t work

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never once suggested, "spreading silicone all over the back of the cab". A small bead in the window channel isn't even visible. Silicone doesn't usually crack. It's too pliable. It might eventually fail, but I'd rather try that than accept water intrusion. Waterproofing the RF hub is a good idea, but it shouldn't be the primary fix.

I don't know what the RF hub looks like, but a dab of dielectric grease on the connectors might be enough to prevent failure.

Edit: Okay, here's what it looks like. I'm not sure if the panel on the back has a rubber o-ring to make it water proof. If not, I suppose you could remove it, seal it up with a bead of silicone, then put dielectric grease on the connector and then it should be water proof.

View attachment 149616 View attachment 149617 View attachment 149618
Is more than just the window though. The hark fun antenna and 3rd brake light can also leak and cause issues. The 3rd brake light can be resealed with a better gasket, but the sharkfin you are kind of limited with what you can do.

GMetal

Reaction score

Edit: Okay, here's what it looks like. I'm not sure if the panel on the back has a rubber o-ring to make it water proof. If not, I suppose you could remove it, seal it up with a bead of silicone, then put dielectric grease on the connector and then it should be water proof.

View attachment 149616 View attachment 149617 View attachment 149618
That's just clipped onto the rear wall. Those plugs are on the bottom sides. They really should be weather proof style TE Connectivity plugs but since its an interior piece its the non sealed style. The arrows point up.

Edit: AllData is a great resource. they tell you where all the parts and modules are with diagrams.

Av1

Reaction score
Is more than just the window though. The hark fun antenna and 3rd brake light can also leak and cause issues. The 3rd brake light can be resealed with a better gasket, but the sharkfin you are kind of limited with what you can do.

All of those items can be easily sealed with quality sealants. The shark fin could be edge sealed if it was too much trouble to remove it, and it would look completely professional if done properly. Quality sealants are expensive, and you won't find them at Auto Zone.

PPG makes aerospace sealants that would have no trouble sealing any of that, but again, it's expensive.

Having said all of that, I don't think it's a bad idea to make the RF Hub as water resistant as possible. It wouldn't hurt.

wginther

Reaction score
Since it seems to be a very common problem to have the rear window leak and often soaking the rf hub making it so you can’t even start the truck, I was wondering if anyone has tried to protect the rf hub before this happens? Maybe a sealed plastic/abs box of some sort that rf signals can still pass through or a sheet of butyl covering over it so the water cannot get to it? I’m just trying to prevent being stranded because the truck won’t start due to an issue that seems like it will eventually happen.
I just purchased a 2023 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 crew cab, bought on a Monday, by Friday my truck wouldn't start, unlock or lock, by Friday none of my tire sensors were registering, they ordered a new rf hub and a wire, by Tuesday afternoon of the next week everything just started working, Wednesday I brought it in and they replaced everything, everything was still working when I picked it up, Thursday evening it started acting up again, by Friday nothing worked again, no start, no lock or unlock, no tire sensor readings, I have to put the fob against the door handle to open or lock it and use the fob and press against the start button to start it or turn it off, there is no water around here because we are severely dry, no rain, no leaks at all, they can't figure out what the problem is, I wonder if they really replaced the part side it started working the day before bringing it in, they said they did, but still why is a brand new truck doing this, I can start it with the app on my phone, I'm regretting buying this truck! Someone has to be smart enough to fix this issue!

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Might just be me, but if I had issues like that that soon I’d be returning it. Too soon to spend that kind of money and have the lack of reliability for me

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It seems @skyhawk42 has a good idea. If you don't have a leak, you are not fixing anything. I'm not that worried about it personally but it wouldn't hurt if you are and it's your only vehicle.

His suggestion seems more like carrying an umbrella because it is calling for a 25% chance of rain rather than moving the planet to further reduce the chance of rain.

6of36

Reaction score
Might just be me, but if I had issues like that that soon I’d be returning it. Too soon to spend that kind of money and have the lack of reliability for me
All of the problems are related. They were working when it went in. They can't fix it, if it's working. I'm surprised they even changed the hub, if it was working at the time. Probably has a bad ground somewhere, but it has to act up to fix it. Warranty isn't going to pay to check all 30+ ground points. Now they know it's not the hub, and if they can get it to act up, they can fix it.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
My RF hub recently just plain failed with no water leak. I had to tow it in as it was un-startable with the bad hub (even key pressed to start button didnt work). They found the issue in no time, replaced it as they had it in stock and all better. Oddly I had been having intermittent connectivity with my wireless access point and that is fixed as well after the new RF hub. I didn't think the RF hub was related to the wireless access point. Is it?

Users who are viewing this thread