5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the diesel leaving?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's leaving, this has been in the works for some time.

RedFred

Reaction score
Diesels just don't seem to sell well. I noticed 2 diesel Laramie's sitting on my local dealers lot since early June. I took a picture of one of them on June 5th. Not sure how much before that it actually arrived at the dealer, but both are still there waiting to be sold. I wouldn't mind a diesel , but unfortunately most people don't consider a diesel when shopping.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a diesel owner, I hope the demand for diesels is still here when it's time for me to trade/sell.

I wonder if this in any way means that the electrified 1/2 ton will definitely have good range and towing capability, as they've been claiming.

RedFred

Reaction score
As a diesel owner, I hope the demand for diesels is still here when it's time for me to trade/sell.

I wonder if this in any way means that the electrified 1/2 ton will definitely have good range and towing capability, as they've been claiming.

Article on 5thgenrams.com home page says they will no longer be making the diesel after January. So just a few months left.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just saw this article. They are getting rid of that engine too?

The sucky part is they STILL haven't announced the replacement engine. I'm not a big fan of the diesel engine, but that MPG rating gave dodge a second life and hemi a longer shelf life.

They better start putting out new engine and official engine specs, because there is no reason to cancel out these other engines, and not give us other options to choose from.

Listen.... hemi is in my DNA, and whatever they put out better have big numbers with them. Right now they are just giving us a guessing game on the v6 turbo making 400 or 500hp...with no actual real number that we can say.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

MXZGUY

Reaction score

The sucky part is they STILL haven't announced the replacement engine. I'm not a big fan of the diesel engine, but that MPG rating gave dodge a second life and hemi a longer shelf life.

They better start putting out new engine and official engine specs, because there is no reason to cancel out these other engines, and not give us other options to choose from.

Listen.... hemi is in my DNA, and whatever they put out better have big numbers with them. Right now they are just giving us a guessing game on the v6 turbo making 400 or 500hp...with no actual real number that we can say.

I am with you on this to a certain part. I like the diesel but am about to order but like you said I sure as heck wish they would put some numbers with the straight 6 turbo in the gasser. Liked MPG. Hp and Torgue is fine, but I need MPG. I need to decide diesel or the new turbo gasser. No Electric for me now. I live in a very rural area also. Look at ford and their mileage and their gasser with turbo pulling a trailer is nothing to sing about talking with some people that own them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am with you on this to a certain part. I like the diesel but am about to order but like you said I sure as heck wish they would put some numbers with the straight 6 turbo in the gasser. Liked MPG. Hp and Torgue is fine, but I need MPG. I need to decide diesel or the new turbo gasser. No Electric for me now. I live in a very rural area also. Look at ford and their mileage and their gasser with turbo pulling a trailer is nothing to sing about talking with some people that own them.
They have put out MPG numbers for the inline 6s. 1mpg better than the Hemi with more power and more torque.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Why does there have to be a replacement engine for a low volume, unpopular engine? Especially with deisel prices that haven't dropped like gasoline. Nobody is buying them. The only advantage was fuel mileage, but the price of fuel just doesn't make it make sense anymore.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There is NO way they will come out with a pure EV truck that will have the towing range of the EcoDiesel. The battery tech is just not there. Look for The Fast Lane Trucks video where they compared a Ford Lightning and a gas truck towing a camper. The Lightning couldn't even go 100 miles.

Supposedly, they will continue to offer the EcoDiesel in the Jeep Gladiator and some other vehicles. Just not the RAM 1500. So, hopefully, us ED owners still have a decent number of years before we start to get screwed by lack of parts availability (even worse than what there is now...).

They have put out MPG numbers for the inline 6s. 1mpg better than the Hemi with more power and more torque.

In other words, still ****ty. I am SO aggravated at this news. I had Hemis for 13 years (an '09 and then a '19). I have over 260K miles in Hemis. I really liked them (except for the constant breaking exhaust manifolds and/or bolts) I have about 6K miles on an EcoDiesel now and I like it SO much better! The prospect of not being able to trade it in on a new one in 4 or 5 years is really bumming me out.

bucolic

Reaction score
There is NO way they will come out with a pure EV truck that will have the towing range of the EcoDiesel. The battery tech is just not there. Look for The Fast Lane Trucks video where they compared a Ford Lightning and a gas truck towing a camper. The Lightning couldn't even go 100 miles.

Supposedly, they will continue to offer the EcoDiesel in the Jeep Gladiator and some other vehicles. Just not the RAM 1500. So, hopefully, us ED owners still have a decent number of years before we start to get screwed by lack of parts availability (even worse than what there is now...).

In other words, still ****ty. I am SO aggravated at this news. I had Hemis for 13 years (an '09 and then a '19). I have over 260K miles in Hemis. I really liked them (except for the constant breaking exhaust manifolds and/or bolts) I have about 6K miles on an EcoDiesel now and I like it SO much better! The prospect of not being able to trade it in on a new one in 4 or 5 years is really bumming me out.
I agree.

As I got older the need for growling, rowdy power slowly dissipated until I am at where I am now... older! The ED really is so much more of a refined driving experience and if you tow it is so so much more a relaxed towing experience over the screaming growling Hemi. Plus, with the 33-gallon tank and 30 MPG seeing over 900 miles of range on trips is comforting. Other than the diesel clatter at take-off (which I actually think sounds kinda neat), it's a much smoother and refined driving experience. Sure it takes an extra second or two to get to 60 but I can't remember when the last time I floored my truck was LOL. Of course, the Hemi is (was because that probably will be going away also?) a great engine and I loved it in my 2006 Dodge Magnum wagon when I was younger and my previous Ram pickups.

As for electric, I will be in once they get 500 miles of REAL WORLD range. This includes with heater and AC running in colder climates and a normal driving experience (outside of towing. I don't think I'll live long enough to see 300 miles of towing range). I think they will have the charging figured out before they hit 500 miles of real-world range as you already see many EVs that can go from 5% to 80% charge in under 20 minutes. The infrastructure is another issue as more EVs hit the road it will be interesting to see how that plays out at busy gas (electric) stations along high-volume highways.

EVs are fun to drive and a completely different experience. I picked up a used 4-cylinder EcoBoost Mustang Convertible to replace motorcycles, which I lost the desire to ride also, and that is fun to drive in its own way. 36MPG when you want to drive easy but stomp on it and the little 4 spools up the turbos and sets you back in the seat. I think it is just as fun as the V8 just different.

I just got old and changed. But back to the topic, I think the ED will be missed by those that appreciate it but I do think we are in the minority.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traded in a 19 Hemi for a 20 ecodiesel and I couldn't be happier.

Went from struggling to average 18mpg to averaging around 28mpg. I do almost exclusively all highway driving and the diesel just shines. I also tow my 7x16 snowmobile trailer long distances and have gotten as high as 20.6mpg towing it with two snowmobiles inside.

Even with high diesel prices it's still worth it to me, I love it. I have 74,000km on my 2020.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

killerformula

Reaction score
I almost ordered one, but I really wanted the 3.0 inline duramax in the Chevy. They just redesigned it this year it is a great motor. 30 mpg in a truck with all that pulling power is great. And like others have said, electric is a terrible replacement for diesel. Not great on towing range.

In other news, ford dropped theirs as well. Guess if you want a mini diesel you have to get a GM product.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure it takes an extra second or two to get to 60 but I can't remember when the last time I floored my truck was LOL.

Exactly. I probably went full throttle from a stop in my Hemi maybe once a year. For the other 99.99% of the time, my ED will get me from 0 to 60 just as quickly as my Hemis ever did.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree.

As I got older the need for growling, rowdy power slowly dissipated until I am at where I am now... older! The ED really is so much more of a refined driving experience and if you tow it is so so much more a relaxed towing experience over the screaming growling Hemi. Plus, with the 33-gallon tank and 30 MPG seeing over 900 miles of range on trips is comforting. Other than the diesel clatter at take-off (which I actually think sounds kinda neat), it's a much smoother and refined driving experience. Sure it takes an extra second or two to get to 60 but I can't remember when the last time I floored my truck was LOL. Of course, the Hemi is (was because that probably will be going away also?) a great engine and I loved it in my 2006 Dodge Magnum wagon when I was younger and my previous Ram pickups.

As for electric, I will be in once they get 500 miles of REAL WORLD range. This includes with heater and AC running in colder climates and a normal driving experience (outside of towing. I don't think I'll live long enough to see 300 miles of towing range). I think they will have the charging figured out before they hit 500 miles of real-world range as you already see many EVs that can go from 5% to 80% charge in under 20 minutes. The infrastructure is another issue as more EVs hit the road it will be interesting to see how that plays out at busy gas (electric) stations along high-volume highways.

EVs are fun to drive and a completely different experience. I picked up a used 4-cylinder EcoBoost Mustang Convertible to replace motorcycles, which I lost the desire to ride also, and that is fun to drive in its own way. 36MPG when you want to drive easy but stomp on it and the little 4 spools up the turbos and sets you back in the seat. I think it is just as fun as the V8 just different.

I just got old and changed. But back to the topic, I think the ED will be missed by those that appreciate it but I do think we are in the minority.

It's not just charging time though when you're towing. Most chargers seem to be pull-in parking spaces, which isn't going to work well in the majority of towing situations. Now, if they could get battery weight down and my camper had batteries that fed my tow vehicle...

Kumba1010

Reaction score
It's not just charging time though when you're towing. Most chargers seem to be pull-in parking spaces, which isn't going to work well in the majority of towing situations. Now, if they could get battery weight down and my camper had batteries that fed my tow vehicle...
mmh! interesting concept....very nice idea

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anything is possible with a little time and money. Wouldn't be hard to build a trailer with some extra batteries and a thick enough guage harness to connect to tow vehicle for extended range. Would have to figure out the weight to range increase to maximize it. Too many batteries might add enough weight to not make it worth it

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Don’t have official numbers just yet….but if that’s true, it sucks.

You can keep the hemi engine with some minor tweaks…and just make the car more light weight and that will increase mpg alone.

I’m all for electric engine over any turbo engine. With turbos, your just adding an boosted element that just won’t last as long as non boosted application. Good for short term, bad long term for cost of replacement. But that’s just me.

2022 Ram 1500 Back Country
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Many bigger campers have a generator onboard already....

Users who are viewing this thread