5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

SColang22

Reaction score
You said, and I quote:

“On any engine if you open up the flow and remove the resonators you’ll make more power”

That’s simply not true for “any” engine. There are many examples of vehicles where the stock exhaust is optimized for the stock engine. “Opening up the flow”, as you state, would actually compromise performance.

Heading back towards the topic at hand: the same is true for CAIs. On some vehicles, a less-restrictive intake provides real gains, particularly at high RPM. On others, a CAI is nothing more than a noisemaker, as the factory intake has already been optimized.
Dude you knew what I meant and you exaggerated it so you could try to sound like a know it all. You’re playing Capt obvious here. You’re taking the exception to the rule and making it the rule. The factory doesn’t optimize anything cause they have to be California compliant. Systems that don’t have room for improvement on factory vehicles are few and far between. You know this man. Stop trying to flex on everyone. If you’re gonna quote me read the quote before that one that you replied to.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dude you knew what I meant and you exaggerated it so you could try to sound like a know it all. You’re playing Capt obvious here. You’re taking the exception to the rule and making it the rule. The factory doesn’t optimize anything cause they have to be California compliant. Systems that don’t have room for improvement on factory vehicles are few and far between. You know this man. Stop trying to flex on everyone. If you’re gonna quote me read the quote before that one that you replied to.
Nobody’s “flexing” here...just trying to balance what sounds like outdated knowledge. Not everyone may know what you presume to be true. I can give specific examples where those statements are false. For the sake of this thread, let’s take it offline. PM me if you’re so inclined.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Nobody’s “flexing” here...just trying to balance what sounds like outdated knowledge. Not everyone may know what you presume to be true. I can give specific examples where those statements are false. For the sake of this thread, let’s take it offline. PM me if you’re so inclined.

I've got a CAI and I happen to like it. And I think it does a better job than a drop in filter. That's like saying getting rid of that drum size restricted muffler and putting a Borla muffler doesn't help any. Well it might not but I still like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asac12

Reaction score
Does anybody know if removing the carbon filter will void the warranty?

Kob0583

Reaction score
I don’t see how removing it could void it as after market CAI don’t have them nor does RAMAIR intake. The charcoal filter is there to meet CARB compliance in CA, otherwise RAM wouldn’t have bothered putting it on. If you see a aftermarket CAI with a CARB stamp it’s likely to have a charcoal filter otherwise the product is marketed for off road or racing so that it can still be sold in CA because it’s not intended for street use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imp0ster

Reaction score
Off topic but addressing the exhaust argument here; how it works is you want the perfect size pipe that also holds in heat. It needs to maintain velocity so when you have valve overlap some of that suction created in the exhaust helps pull in more air(scavenging). I gained 2mpg on my 14 Grand Cherokee by removing the suitcase muffler and throwing in an X-Pipe. When you go too large you lose the velocity. I could go deeper into why but this is about a CAI.

The OEM intake box is a CAI and replacing it will not give you anything maybe except the upper RPM range where you don't spend any time. A tune alone will give you the same power as what these CAI companies are claiming but you'll have a greater chance on KR. What it will do is free up some strain caused by the cylinder moving down on the intake stroke trying to pull air through inefficient filters. Like what was discusses before, remove the carbon and a drop in will do this. MDS works off of load and RPM so you'll see MPG from this. CAI won't get you anything until you max out the efficiency of the OEM box which in my IMO won't happen in a street truck.

As far as blocking heat and why you don't run an open filter, it's mostly bogus. When you're sitting at a red light yes you're sucking up heat. When you're moving along it does not really matter. You'd do better running a heat shield around the intake tube itself to prevent heat soak which is the main thing we try to fight on forced induction. As a former turbo guy and current superchrager guy we've tested everything there is in the pursuit of an extra 1/10th at the track or on the water. I ran an open filter in front of a Precision CEA 6765 BB and switching to a CAI did nothing. I currently run an open filter on my new RXTX and laugh at the guys who argue with me after spending hundreds on a Riva setup.

At the end of the day it's your money and if popping the hood to look at a CAI is worth $300 then do it. I have a $800 watch that does the same thing as a $20 watch but I like to look at it. I know it's dumb but it's what I like.

Also a good dealer will not void your warranty and generally can't. It's when something breaks if it's deemed a result of a modification that's when they void.

Last edited:

Barty88

Reaction score
So... I dont care about 'performance, I dont race or feel the need to show off to 20 years olds... I am old... I just care about money and MPG. Is The verdict for better MPG that a new CAI wont do anything? No mods really will? Just keep the factory ride height, and slightly over inflate tires to under the max rating.....

Imp0ster

Reaction score
So... I dont care about 'performance, I dont race or feel the need to show off to 20 years olds... I am old... I just care about money and MPG. Is The verdict for better MPG that a new CAI wont do anything? No mods really will? Just keep the factory ride height, and slightly over inflate tires to under the max rating.....

remove the upper noise baffle and do a AEM dry drop in filter. I gained 1mpg real world in stop and go traffic. That's substantial for this truck and the filter will pay itself off.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s the BEST or most cost effective but the sound/look of my vararam intake is pretty awesome....

Side note after reading previous posts, it never fails, every time aftermarket intake threads pop up they always turn into WW3. Agree to disagree guys and move on.

Barty88

Reaction score
remove the upper noise baffle and do a AEM dry drop in filter. I gained 1mpg real world in stop and go traffic. That's substantial for this truck and the filter will pay itself off.
Where (what) is the 'upper noise baffle'?

popcenator

Reaction score
I have the Vararam from my 4th gen, but also have the AEM dry filter. The Vararam sounds nice and I feel that it makes a noticeable difference, but I also feel like the dry filter feels strong too. So I'm not sure how much the Vararam adds, but I do enjoy the extra noise when you get on it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if it’s the BEST or most cost effective but the sound/look of my vararam intake is pretty awesome....

Side note after reading previous posts, it never fails, every time aftermarket intake threads pop up they always turn into WW3. Agree to disagree guys and move on.

"can i put 35/37 will it rub?"

"any recommendation on mufflers...idont want it to loud"

"What kind of oil should i use and when shoulld i change it"
does this color truck make me look fat"?

"does this truck color goes well with my out fit?"
1.look guys just take out another loan
2.get "Henneasy.."Lingfelter" or "Callaway: one those guys to get your truck the way you want.now you can choose the muffler you want(not to loud:rolleyes:),"CAI"and no "Rubbing".

Imp0ster

Reaction score
Where (what) is the 'upper noise baffle'?

open in intake and look in the top. It feels like polyfill. People are calling it a carbon filter but I'm willing to bet it's a noise baffle

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The amount of contamination that "performance" air filters allow into the engine is magnitudes higher than a traditional paper filter. So if you care about engine longevity, a CAI isn't the way to go since most use performance filters.

I suppose some CAIs may have paper filters with equal filtration to a standard factory filter, but I need to see data on it before I'll run it.

Having said that, when a CAI with a quality filter is released for my truck I'm buying one for the sound and ease of maintenance.

Imp0ster

Reaction score
The amount of contamination that "performance" air filters allow into the engine is magnitudes higher than a traditional paper filter. So if you care about engine longevity, a CAI isn't the way to go since most use performance filters.

I suppose some CAIs may have paper filters with equal filtration to a standard factory filter, but I need to see data on it before I'll run it.

Having said that, when a CAI with a quality filter is released for my truck I'm buying one for the sound and ease of maintenance.

I'm going to somewhat disagree with this and here's why. I ran an open cone on my turbo grand prix for about 50k miles. I ran an open filter on my drag ski and on my current RXTX. I ran a CAI on my grand cherokee for 86K miles. If you run some CRC or equivalent cleaner through the TB every 10k or so it will always look like new. I also seafoam every oil change. If you don't maintain the vehicle then yes this is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread