5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck tries to start but acts like it vapor locks and then dies.....

airman734

Reaction score
My truck is not daily driven, but it is driven a few times a week. I just broke 4000 miles. On 4 occasions now when I go to start it, it will fire up and then act like an old car that vapor locked after turning the key off. The truck will die and then if you let it sit for about 30 seconds, it will fire right up and run fine. I made an appointment at my local dealer, and when I went in they wouldn't even look at my truck. The service guy told me he had seen at least 15 new trucks doing this and it was all because they used fuel with ethanol in it. He told me that my truck must use ethanol free fuel at all times.

I broke out the handy users manual and asked him to show me where it says this and he told me there is nothing that says it. I asked if RAM was going to send owners a letter stating that we cannot use any fuel with ethanol in it and of course he said no. I only use 91 or sometimes 89 fuel. I live in Idaho so most of the gas stations are 85, 87, 89. There are some that are 85, 89, 91 and the gas station I typically use is this one.

Besides being frustrated at the answers to why my truck doesn't start, has anyone else experienced this and if so was there a fix? I am worried that this could damage the motor as it is one rough go until it quits.

I hopefully have all the information that you experts need in my signature. Appreciate in advance everyone that takes the time to read this and posts their thoughts or experiences.

Matt

ponypride

Reaction score
My truck is also not my the dally driver. I have 5000 miles on it and use it only once or twice a week. I have never had problems with it starting or stalling. Always starts up right away. I always use 87 octane gasoline.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Manual says do not use blend fuel with blends of ethanol above 15%. I think gas at most gas stations contains 10% as standard.

cra1g

Reaction score
Mine hasn't done that, and I don't remember seeing anyone else reporting it here. The service guy's wrong about ethanol, and the manual says so. BUT...if he has seen several cases of this locally, maybe something really is going on with the fuel? Maybe try a different station, and make sure it's a top tier brand?

airman734

Reaction score
Mine hasn't done that, and I don't remember seeing anyone else reporting it here. The service guy's wrong about ethanol, and the manual says so. BUT...if he has seen several cases of this locally, maybe something really is going on with the fuel? Maybe try a different station, and make sure it's a top tier brand?

It could be a local thing. I do use only top tier gas which is why I am so confused.

Klute

Reaction score
Bad Gas? Top tier may it since they don't seel much of it and it just sits in the tank. New gas station or ancient?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The service guy is full of crap. Ethanol in fuel is basically standard and there's no way this would cause that problem.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck did this after filling tank with some Sams Club gas. At half a tank, I topped off with the fuel I was using prior to Sams Club and the studder start slowly diminished. Has not done it since. It was definitely a fuel issue the time it happened to me.

Klute

Reaction score
My truck did this after filling tank with some Sams Club gas. At half a tank, I topped off with the fuel I was using prior to Sams Club and the studder start slowly diminished. Has not done it since. It was definitely a fuel issue the time it happened to me.

It's more than likely a local supplier issue b/c I have only ran Sam's gas in 3 vehicles over 10 years w/o any fuel-related problems. Never fill the tank when they tanks are being filled:

Users who are viewing this thread