5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Normal voltage?

jalake

Reaction score
With the factory supplied battery, it was usually in the 13.6 - 14.2 area. After I replaced it with an AGM, it's all over the place; it could be 14.2 at idle and 12.8 on the highway. I've got the Etorque. Is there a setting I can change so the system recognizes that an AGM battery is installed? I believe they have different charge rates than the flooded types.
The IBS is SUPPOSED to recognize battery type and SOC from my understanding

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Well put another 600 miles on today, started at 13.1v ended with 12.5 all while driving 70mph.

@RamCares, I contacted the phone number, they opened a case 2 days ago. Still no phone call from case manager. I called the phone number for ramcare, the women case manager (not mine) who answered said she's not my case Manager and won't help, proceeded to transfer me to FCA customer care, who told me they have no power to do anything with these issues.

On my drive today I had to choose between running my headlights in the rain, charging my phone I need in case I have to call when I get stuck AGAIN, or run the AC in the 91 degree temps on our drive. Oh don't forget I couldn't have the voltage drop too low or id lose my trailer brakes as well.

Any single item I turn on drops the voltage below 12.6
What happens exactly to your truck if voltage drops below 12.6?
Does it stall?
Do you get warnings/errors on dash?

My truck battery voltage behaves pretty much the same as yours but i have absolutely no issues with the truck. If I run AC and other electrical things on a long highway trip the battery voltage sometimes drops to 12.5v but everything works fine. After awhile on highway my battery voltage indicator hovers between 12.5 - 12.8 and stays that way as long as i stay on the highway.
To me it is a sign that the 12v is fully charged and is just getting a little current to keep it that way.

jalake

Reaction score
Does it stall?

My truck battery voltage behaves pretty much the same as yours but i have absolutely no issues with the truck. If I run AC and other electrical things on a long highway trip the battery voltage sometimes drops to 12.5v but everything works fine. After awhile on highway my battery voltage indicator hovers between 12.5 - 12.8 and stays that way as long as i stay on the highway.
To me it is a sign that the 12v is fully charged and is just getting a little current to keep it that way.
Nothing happens, YET. I spend the last few years designing and diagnosing 12v systems... I know what can happen when a system falls below 12.6 to be very uncomfortable with it. Especially when majority are running 13-13.5

We frequently drive to remote areas boondocking, and I don't want my truck to be the reason we are stuck. Which happened 5 times on our last outing

jalake

Reaction score
Also trailers brakes will start to act up and malfunction below 12.4 which I have run at while towing

spyder

Reaction score
I drove my new truck across country last fall. I was nervous the entire trip about voltage as it started at 14.something on startup and as the hours and miles went by it would drop and drop and drop. I think it stopped dropping around 12.6 and when I'd shut down and start up again after fuel or food stops, it would do the same thing again. I was expecting it to not start in Rock Springs WY when temperatures where around 0 in the morning but it fired right up and ran fine. I experimented with running seat and steering wheel heaters and all four window motors at once high beams and the only accessory being on that made a difference was high beams. Low to high dropped it 0.1 volts no matter what it was at.

The factory battery had a bad leak and blue corrosion around a terminal also and I couldn't get the dealerships across the country along my route to get me in to replace it. Kind of pissed about that and wound up just buying a new Interstate when I got home. Haven't had issues with voltage other than the odd numbers, but it seems from anecdotal reading here and elsewhere that it's normal. Uncomfortable to me, but normal apparently.

That trip was started at 2k miles and the truck has 18k on it now. No electrical issues with it to date.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it stall?

Nothing happens, YET. I spend the last few years designing and diagnosing 12v systems... I know what can happen when a system falls below 12.6 to be very uncomfortable with it. Especially when majority are running 13-13.5

We frequently drive to remote areas boondocking, and I don't want my truck to be the reason we are stuck. Which happened 5 times on our last outing

At 11.6V, you will get a warning message on the center dash screen that says all nonessential electrical systems will shut down. Sorry, I was a 1/4 mile from home yesterday when it came on, so I don't know how long it would run after that. 😄

Service writer pulled a code from history, didn't say the number, for DC converter failure. Haven't heard back from them yet. Wouldn't charge all this week, of course started to charge when I brought it in the dealer service bay. Battery tested fine, altho I'm sure this didn't do it any favors. I had to charge it every night at home.

jalake

Reaction score
At 11.6V, you will get a warning message on the center dash screen that says all nonessential electrical systems will shut down. Sorry, I was a 1/4 mile from home yesterday when it came on, so I don't know how long it would run after that. 😄

Service writer pulled a code from history, didn't say the number, for DC converter failure. Haven't heard back from them yet. Wouldn't charge all this week, of course started to charge when I brought it in the dealer service bay. Battery tested fine, altho I'm sure this didn't do it any favors. I had to charge it every night at home.
Did you have water intrusion issues with the rear light/window?

I'm wondering if some people who have had that, had some water work it's way into the 48v pack in the rear causing some issues with the electronics since that is where the DC/DC converter is.

I had severe water intrusion and had mold starting to grow under all the floor mats. Luckily the dealership told me they " shop vacd it all up and I should be good to go" 🙄

jalake

Reaction score

Also did any star engineers confirm the 12v should cut charging and go to float in the 12 range? That's what I have been trying to get confirmation on because every dealer has a different story

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if the 12V charge goes to float, however 11.6V and dropping isn’t float V. No, I’ve never had the normal water leaks yet.

Users who are viewing this thread