5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Odd, I have the revise problem with lag off the line (unless I am wot). Passing speeds are great.
What octane of fuel are you running?

87, same as I've run in every other Ram. As I said before, I'm not complaining. The performance of my current Ram is more than acceptable. It's just not as fast as the last 2 I have owned.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
87, same as I've run in every other Ram. As I said before, I'm not complaining. The performance of my current Ram is more than acceptable. It's just not as fast as the last 2 I have owned.
Put high octane in for a tank or so, your passing ability will increase. You are running under spec. You aren't damaging anything by running 87 but you are lowering your horses, and we're your other Ram's Limited also? Mine weighs over 6,300 lbs. Weight directly affects your acceleration and is often overlooked (even by myself)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, my perception is reality and I never said it was slower than my 2003, but that seems to be what you have stuck in your head. I said it was significantly slower than my 2012 and the 2017 that I had just driven for the past 6 years. I said it reminds me of the more sluggish performance of my 2003.

Your perception is your reality, not reality.
I said it was faster then my 2003, RIF.
A quieter truck will seem slower when the opposite could be true, the only way you'll know for sure is timing them or you and someone else drive them both and see who wins. Me, I have zero doubts

BowDown

Reaction score
Food for thought:

Isn't the Hemi well known for "opening up" after 10k-15k miles or so?
I've seen countless reports, one even in this thread, where owners swear that overnight their trucks feel more powerful and get better mpg?

If so, could it simply be their old trucks had "broken in", while anything new hasn't?

No, the HEMI isn't magical.
It has the same ring and bearing material as any other engine so breaking in period should be the same. IDK how long or if at all the computer reduces power and load on a new vehicle but even when this does happen, it's 500 miles for most automakers.
People say the same thing about fuel mileage relative to break-in. Performance not mpg have been unchanged on mine since really day one.

I didn't really hammer this truck until well after 1000 miles and that's mainly because I know it's a heavy truck with relatively low power (and 3.21s @Mountain Whiskey ), it ain't going nowhere fast.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score

There's going to be some variation from truck to truck, look at the wide range of mpg people here report. You may indeed have a truck slower than the previous truck, that's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to buy a new one but I'll surely test drive a new one comparing it to mine before I buy

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your perception is your reality, not reality.
I said it was faster then my 2003, RIF.
A quieter truck will seem slower when the opposite could be true, the only way you'll know for sure is timing them or you and someone else drive them both and see who wins. Me, I have zero doubts

Again. I never said my current truck was slower than my 2003. That's just something stuck in your head. However, my truck is in fact slower than my 2012 and the 2017 I just finished driving for the last 6 years. Has absolutely nothing to do with how quiet the truck is. My 23 sounds about identical to both by 12 and 17.

BowDown

Reaction score
Again. I never said my current truck was slower than my 2003. That's just something stuck in your head. However, my truck is in fact slower than my 2012 and the 2017 I just finished driving for the last 6 years. Has absolutely nothing to do with how quiet the truck is. My 23 sounds about identical to both by 12 and 17.

Sell it

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put high octane in for a tank or so, your passing ability will increase. You are running under spec. You aren't damaging anything by running 87 but you are lowering your horses, and we're your other Ram's Limited also? Mine weighs over 6,300 lbs. Weight directly affects your acceleration and is often overlooked (even by myself)

No thanks. 87 is acceptable and it's what I have run in every other Ram I have owned. Like I've said, my current acceleration is not unacceptable; it's just not as quick as my last 2 Rams.

Not sure of the curb weight of my last 2 trucks, but there may have been a difference. My 2012 Big Horn and 2017 Laramie were both quad cabs and my current truck is a crew cab. However, I am permanently carrying about 200 lb less in tools, recovery equipment, etc under the tonneau due to the smaller bed.

Edited to add: According to Edmunds, a 2023 Limited crew cab weights 100 lbs more than a 2017 Laramie quad cab. I'm sure I've reduced weight by at least 100 lbs due to the smaller bed size. I think the 23 uses more aluminum than the 17.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No thanks. 87 is acceptable and it's what I have run in every other Ram I have owned. Like I've said, my current acceleration is not unacceptable; it's just not as quick as my last 2 Rams.
Complains about acceleration.
uses gas that is documented to provide less power per user's manual.
I don't see the problem here.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Complains about acceleration.
uses gas that is documented to provide less power per user's manual.
I don't see the problem here.

Everything about your post is a fallacy argument.

First, I've never complained about acceleration. I've stated about 4 times that I don't have a problem with my current truck's performance. I'm just stating the fact that it does not accelerate as fast as my last 2 trucks.

Second, the difference in performance between the trucks likely has nothing to do with the fuel since both trucks listed exactly the same fuel requirements and statements about performance and I've used 87 in all Rams I've owned.

From the 2017 Ram manual for 5.7:
This engines is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having a posted octane number range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance
and fuel economy.

From the 2023 Ram manual for 5.7

This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/ 2 method. The use of 89 octane plus gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What if the feeling of slower acceleration is due to the 5th gen 8 speed trans as opposed to 4th gen 5 speed?

I would think the 5 speed would hang on to gears for longer.

Idk, just throwing that out there

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
What if the feeling of slower acceleration is due to the 5th 8 speed trans as opposed to 4th gen 5 speed?

I have the same trans in both trucks.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What if the feeling of slower acceleration is due to the 5th 8 speed trans as opposed to 4th gen 5 speed?

I think it's related to computer programming and shift points.

My 2017 had an 8 speed transmission (8HP70). Not sure how it differed from the 8HP75 that's in my 23. My 2012 had a 6 speed transmission.

2017 Ram.jpg

vincentw56

Reaction score
Best add on I've put on the truck for performance is the Pulsar. It really makes the truck feel like it has a true Hemi in it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Best add on I've put on the truck for performance is the Pulsar. It really makes the truck feel like it has a true Hemi in it.
I’m guessing since it eliminated the throttle lag.

Users who are viewing this thread