5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT Acceleration Slow Compared to DS

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Neither. lol

My truck is a lease and I am wary of any reprogramming devices.
Oh haha. Throttle controllers don’t really program anything in the truck itself so you should be fine with that. Not like programming with alpha or jscan.

One guy on here even used a 9 drive for a fourth gen that worked. I thought about it, but haven’t pulled the trigger.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Food for thought:

Isn't the Hemi well known for "opening up" after 10k-15k miles or so?
I've seen countless reports, one even in this thread, where owners swear that overnight their trucks feel more powerful and get better mpg?

If so, could it simply be their old trucks had "broken in", while anything new hasn't?

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
Food for thought:

Isn't the Hemi well known for "opening up" after 10k-15k miles or so?
I've seen countless reports, one even in this thread, where owners swear that overnight their trucks feel more powerful and get better mpg?

If so, could it simply be their old trucks had "broken in", while anything new hasn't?
Im at about 13k right now so fingers crossed. lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone weighed their trucks? it would be neat to see the weight differences.

My 2020 Crew HEMI 4x4 BigHorn weighed in at 5810 lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel.
2020 Built to Serve about same amount of gas

Attachments

• PXL_20210612_212013708.jpg
    PXL_20210612_212013708.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 15

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just have to ask... If you have throttle lag what does that have to do with 0 to 60? I mean, if you are at 0 and there is a five minute lag before you start moving, that five minutes is before 0 not between 0 and 60.
I just do it like @theblet described when passing or whatever, anticipate and commit. I mean in the end, it is a slow *** old pickup truck.
It depends on wether you are just timing your run or responding to a Christmas tree.
Responding to a tree is where the lag time would be a problem.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
throttle lag. That’s how these drive by wire trucks work unfortunately.

I sort of disagree. My 2008 Tundra had drive by wire and the throttle was hyper sensitive. Almost too sensitive. When I first got my 21 Laramie, it didn't have any throttle lag, but it seemed like I had to push the gas pedal twice as far to get the same result as the Tundra. A few months later, that lazy throttle response seemed to go away.

I sold my 21 Laramie to a guy that owned a 2013 Laramie 5.7. He commented the other day how much more peppy and responsive the 2021 was compared to his 2013.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I sort of disagree. My 2008 Tundra had drive by wire and the throttle was hyper sensitive. Almost too sensitive. When I first got my 21 Laramie, it didn't have any throttle lag, but it seemed like I had to push the gas pedal twice as far to get the same result as the Tundra. A few months later, that lazy throttle response seemed to go away.

I sold my 21 Laramie to a guy that owned a 2013 Laramie 5.7. He commented the other day how much more peppy and responsive the 2021 was compared to his 2013.
I think it has more to do with how the system learns over time on how you drive. If you only push the pedal down a little bit to get going, it's going to take a little longer. If you're the type of person who pushes it down to get up to speed a lot quicker, it's going to work better.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t say my really felt any more peppier then my DS but I also blame that on gearing 3.21 vs 3.92 and the DS just being a heavier longer truck. Still hasn’t bother me till this day.. get a pedal commander or something similar to help with the “lag”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Insanity

Reaction score
I preceave a large delay between foot off break and on throttle before the truck actually moves any. It's not very predictable but most of the time it seems when the engine is running already it's worse than if the auto s/s is activated. Like it fires up from auto start and started to roll on it's own then the delay seems less.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I preceave a large delay between foot off break and on throttle before the truck actually moves any. It's not very predictable but most of the time it seems when the engine is running already it's worse than if the auto s/s is activated. Like it fires up from auto start and started to roll on it's own then the delay seems less.
Mines the opposite. As soon as I let the brake go, it’s moving, sometimes I have to be careful not to rear end someone. I don’t have ET

Insanity

Reaction score
Also I would like to note that I turned off my hill assist and it did slightly improve all around.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
get a pedal commander or something similar to help with the “lag”.
Don't get a sprint booster. That's what I bought and it does 0 for the lag. It makes it feel more responsive due to a different curve on the pedal, but the lag which was my whole problem at least is still their despite their claims.
They are so expensive or else I would try all the others, I wonder if they are on Amazon yet.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I guess what the OP considers quick passing acceleration and what I do may differ, but my truck is similar but a diesel and I find the passing power pretty good, even towing the camper (well, I don't whip the camper around other cars, but acceleration is good. )
Make no inference from my post. I strictly said my 2023 is slower than my 2017. I used passing speed as an example of when I notice the speed difference.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mines the opposite. As soon as I let the brake go, it’s moving, sometimes I have to be careful not to rear end someone. I don’t have ET

Me too. My 23 seems to launch faster than my 17. Both were fly by wire and I've noticed no throttle lag with either. I've though the eTorque was probably adding torque at start up. Where I notice the 23 as being obviously slower is when passing. My 12 and 17 would set you back in the seats all the way through the gears; not so much with the 23. I've noticed I need to ensure a much longer clear passing lane before trying to pass a tractor trailer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Me too. My 23 seems to launch faster than my 17. Both were fly by wire and I've noticed no throttle lag with either. I've though the eTorque was probably adding torque at start up. Where I notice the 23 as being obviously slower is when passing. My 12 and 17 would set you back in the seats all the way through the gears; not so much with the 23. I've noticed I need to ensure a much longer clear passing lane before trying to pass a tractor trailer.
Odd, I have the revise problem with lag off the line (unless I am wot). Passing speeds are great.
What octane of fuel are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread