5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yet another tire pressure thread (up 1 size from stock tires)

JBV

Reaction score
can the world handle any more pixels spilled about tire pressure? how many threads on how many forums? does the internet have the capacity?

my new Ram has the Falken wildpeaks in 18 x 275 r 65. stock placard pressures on my crew cab 6 4 box, 38/38.
just had new tires installed on stock rims, 275 x 70 r 18. slightly larger. Sumitomo Encounter AT load range e/10 ply rating.

i understand this is a complicated and loaded question. the tire shop guys don't take any chances 'go with the placard', it's there for a reason. i get it. for unloaded, not towing, regular on road driving, i do wonder if the pressure should remain the same or go up/down a few psi. should i contract the tire wizard to do the maths? weigh the front and back of the truck and do the maths?

if you've got any insights, method, or otherwise tire voodoo stories, i'm all ears.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went lower after going up a size,

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It’s based on the ply and rating, not the tire size in a lot of cases.

I had best luck with 43f and 40r with my 10ply tires. Too little of pressure and the truck will feel squirmy and cause odd wear patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBV

Reaction score
thanks guys. yes, lower does seem to be the case as i discovered, according to the calculators. the weight diff front to back is about 60/40 from going to the dump and having the truck weighed on the scales. drive forward, drive backwards, etc. the lady was very accommodating of my funny request. i wonder if i should put 2 psi more in the front? i'll do a chalk test but that won't happen until it's dry again, which won't be until next spring.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Did any of those calculators factor in ply/rating change over Oem?

Try 43/40. It’s what I run in my E rated tires after doing the chalk test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBV

Reaction score
that would make some sense. i imagine there is differences from truck to truck as well. mine is crew cab 6 4 box, ORG on 18's. the new tires are up one rating to E from D.

Users who are viewing this thread