5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrong gear

btripp31

Reaction score
I have a 21 Bighorn and when driving down the road and it changes to ECO mode, does anyone else experience like the transmission is in the wrong gear? It feels like when you are driving a manual transmission and are in 4th gear but should be in 3rd. Is there an update to make it go away?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, eco mode shuts off half the cylinders so it's going to be sluggish, but it switches off when it feels it needs more power.

Reaction score
To turn off the ECO mode, use the +/- gear selector buttons on the steering wheel. After changing into D, set the gear to 8 and the trans will not go into ECO mode but will still function normally. I usually use ECO mode on the freeways and set to non-ECO on the side streets.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, it will feel sluggish under light throttle in Eco mode as only 4 cylinders are firing. Once you demand slightly more throttle, it will immediately fire back up to 8 cylinders without actually changing down a gear.

Also, on a side note, you can turn on your "Current Gear" feature through your gauge cluster settings so you can see what gear your currently in all the time.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To turn off the ECO mode, use the +/- gear selector buttons on the steering wheel. After changing into D, set the gear to 8 and the trans will not go into ECO mode but will still function normally. I usually use ECO mode on the freeways and set to non-ECO on the side streets.
I have sort of opposite experience. Freeway speed takes more power and almost never kicks into ECO, wheras lower speeds below say 45~50 allow it to drop into 4-cylinder mode and actually get reasonable mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread