5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wondering how time critical getting a spray in bedliner/underside rustproofing is?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings all

My 19 Bighorn just turned one year old this week. I am planning on putting in a Line-X spray in bed liner as well as underside fluid film. How soon is it recommended to do this? ASAP or can I hold off one more winter? I’ve already gone through one winter last year without it (granted, it wasn’t a bad winter up here in N VA.. no clue about how this one will be.)

I just don’t want my truck to rust out early, planning on keeping it a long time.

Thx!

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
hmm.. i do not have any underside film at all and never had one in any of my vehicles granted they dont use salt much here. but i am planning on keeping this one for a while.. so may be i should look into it as well

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. My buddy just bought a new place and has a car lift in his pole barn. I was considering using it to lift and spray my undercarriage with fluid film. I just don’t know if I’ll get to it in time this year

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I'm in salty Iowa, where the roads are white all winter with either snow or salt. Personally, I'd get the fluid film or similar oil based product on sooner rather than later. I used Fluid Film last year and this year used the slightly thicker and less smelly stuff called Woolwax. I didn't have a lift, so went to off road 2 and used a creeper. Its good stuff. I took out the body plugs and spray inside the doors, etc as well

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So the fluid film/wool wax is prob more important than the spray in bed liner , is what I’m gathering.

Paultg

Reaction score
I had my truck oil coated underneath this past Aug, it had 1000 miles on it. I’d do that. The bed line you could wait and do when you are ready to sell it, it will hide all the bed scratches.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my truck oil coated underneath this past Aug, it had 1000 miles on it. I’d do that. The bed line you could wait and do when you are ready to sell it, it will hide all the bed scratches.
Or you could save a bunch of money and put in a Dual-liner with their thick bed mat and the bed will look like new when you sell it ;)

Paultg

Reaction score
For reference it was $180 to have the truck done. I went with these guys: https://nhoilundercoating.com/
Product: Oil Only (no wax): https://nhoilundercoating.com/nh-oil-undercoating/

The Boss Wax / Oil was like $800. I figure that cost is = to about 4-5 oil only applications. Once you do a few oil applications you don't really need them further, truck will build up enough of a coating. Oil will look alot more dirty than the wax, but I can also just blast it with water and clean it all off if I really needed too, then start over. The Boss Wax had to be done on a new truck and was more permanent.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or you could save a bunch of money and put in a Dual-liner with their thick bed mat and the bed will look like new when you sell it ;)

While I will admit I love my dualiner’s bed mat the plastic pieces have all scraped paint off the bed after only 8 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overkill77

Reaction score
I just sprayed my 2020 underside with fluid film. Used fluid film on my last truck (2007 Ram) and it did great. Im in Ohio and snow is already peaking its head. I used a lift at my work and bought the fluid film spray gun kit off ebay and it came with everything I needed. Its a must do to keep things protected! I loved the frame openings throughout giving plenty of spaces to spray with a 360 degree wand.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have no idea about fluid film. Never used it myself. But you can have a spray-in bed liner installed at any time in a truck's life. It's best to do it before you start getting anything more serious than surface rust, but since the whole thing needs to be sanded down it doesn't really matter for anything but rusted through beds.

Users who are viewing this thread