5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless carplay autostart disable

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a wireless carplay adapter that does *NOT* cause the radio screen to switch over to CarPlay on every start? Ie. I want it to stay in the main radio/media screen and not change to carplay screen unless I click on it.

I tried a few, but they all switch to carplay screen after a few seconds.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's not how it works.
If a device is plugged in for Carplay it's going to change over to it.

It does the same thing on a 2022 with a wired CarPlay device.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Darksteel165 thanks for the info. thats kind of what I suspected. sometimes if I leave phone plugged in it doesn't switch over, but maybe just a fluke thing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Darksteel165 thanks for the info. thats kind of what I suspected. sometimes if I leave phone plugged in it doesn't switch over, but maybe just a fluke thing.
It's likely just your phone not sending the signal for carplay, or "auto starting" it.

I have a carplay device and if its plugged it it opens up 100% of the time.

You can set favorites for your phone on uConmect
but if 1 is carplay and the other isn't it still will connect and open right up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hate Apple and Carplay for this reason. On my Pixel, even if I plug it in, I have to physically reach over and hit the android auto button for it to launch. I can turn off auto launch on my phone. And I can also turn android auto back off, from my 12" display, and revert back to the factory display. Last time my wife plugged her phone into my truck, I didn't see any option to turn off carplay from the 12" display. So if I clicked the home button it went to carplay screen. Granted, I'm not an IOS user and never will be as long as there are Android phones, so maybe I missed the option

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hate Apple and Carplay for this reason. On my Pixel, even if I plug it in, I have to physically reach over and hit the android auto button for it to launch. I can turn off auto launch on my phone. And I can also turn android auto back off, from my 12" display, and revert back to the factory display. Last time my wife plugged her phone into my truck, I didn't see any option to turn off carplay from the 12" display. So if I clicked the home button it went to carplay screen. Granted, I'm not an IOS user and never will be as long as there are Android phones, so maybe I missed the option
You can completely turn off CarPlay and OR AA on UC5 on the 12 inch. It's deep in the menus.

If you add CayPlay to your home screen "pages" you can't get full screen CarPlay unless you delete the page and re-create it without the "projection" section on the page.

If you did that I don't THINK it would come up everytime it was plugged in.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
weird, I just went out and tested, and I can plug and unplug my phone with the vehicle running, and the icon changes from Phone to CarPlay, but the CarPlay menu screen does not auto pop up and change inputs.

However, if my phone is plugged in when I start the vehicle, it will startup to the CarPlay screen menu.

Maybe I need some sort of USB delay box to wait a minute or something !

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
weird, I just went out and tested, and I can plug and unplug my phone with the vehicle running, and the icon changes from Phone to CarPlay, but the CarPlay menu screen does not auto pop up and change inputs.

However, if my phone is plugged in when I start the vehicle, it will startup to the CarPlay screen menu.

Maybe I need some sort of USB delay box to wait a minute or something !
That's odd.

If I plug in my CarPlay box while i'm driving when it boots up the icon changes, and it instantly goes over to fullscreen CarPlay like I hit the button.

What year is your truck (UC4 or UC5?)

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So oddly enough, with the carlinkit box, it would auto start the full screen. So just retested. But if I just use the usb to my phone it does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online