5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Android Auto Dongle May Be Coming Soon

Stony0604

Reaction score

Rossum

Reaction score
I'm not sure I see much point in this. Android Auto's biggest use to me is to have the always up-to-date and fully traffic-aware Google Nav running on the vehicle's screen. But doing that is quite CPU intensive in the phone and will drain its battery rather quickly, meaning I really want to have the phone plugged in in anyway.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I see much point in this. Android Auto's biggest use to me is to have the always up-to-date and fully traffic-aware Google Nav running on the vehicle's screen. But doing that is quite CPU intensive in the phone and will drain its battery rather quickly, meaning I really want to have the phone plugged in in anyway.
Wireless charging FTW!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
If you are doing long trips/commutes yeah, but if in my case (CarPlay), my driving is shorter trips where I don't need or want to plug in every time I get in my truck, and I'd rather keep the phone in my pocket or on top of the cupholder. If it's anything longer, I use the wireless charger (or I'd plug in if I didn't have one).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are doing long trips/commutes yeah, but if in my case (CarPlay), my driving is shorter trips where I don't need or want to plug in every time I get in my truck, and I'd rather keep the phone in my pocket or on top of the cupholder. If it's anything longer, I use the wireless charger (or I'd plug in if I didn't have one).
To your point, I rarely pull my phone out of my pocket for short trips these days. The adapter is great for that use case.

On a recent 400-mile drive, running Google Maps the whole time, I used the wireless charger for an hour or two...but dang, that iPhone was hot! I still recommend plugging in if running CarPlay on a long trip.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
To your point, I rarely pull my phone out of my pocket for short trips these days. The adapter is great for that use case.

On a recent 400-mile drive, running Google Maps the whole time, I used the wireless charger for an hour or two...but dang, that iPhone was hot! I still recommend plugging in if running CarPlay on a long trip.
Yep. Same here.

djjr50

Reaction score
I'm backing this. I'm hoping to reduce wires, increase convenience and elongate the use of my USB C port on my device that seems to be loosening (causing the connection to go in and out).

Users who are viewing this thread