5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter tires?

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Hi.
I am in the process of buying a 2019 ram (big horn, 4X4, crew cab, 18" wheels) and I'm looking for winter tires. On my current truck (2010 GMC Canyon) I use non-LT tires in winter (toyo GSI5).

I looked at a few sources on the Web (ok, mostly 1010tires) to get an idea about winter tire availability (mandatory here in QC - and with currently 20' of snow over my front yard it's easy to understand why...)

So far, I saw a few non-LT tires that do fit the RAM (toyo having a load rating of 114 or 2601lb). All the LT have a load rating of 124 (3527Lb):
- Prices are in loonies, which means about 1/3 over the US price -

Toyo GSI5 (NON-LT) $241/tire I have experience with these and I can say they're great on ice, but so-so on snow
bridgestone blizzak lt $206/tire
toyo open country wlt1 $338/tire
cooper discover m-s $361/tire
firestone winterforce lt $371/tire

I'd like to have your opinion about these; I am searching for tires that are very good on ice as, since global warming is really becoming perceptible over here, we're having more and more frequent rain in winter (usually followed by a good freeze-over), which leads to streets that are more akin to skating rinks.

Tire behavior in snow is a plus, but comes after ice.

I don't plan to load my truck much on winter, which would in theory enable me to use non-LT tires, so I'd need your input on this (how would it affect loading capacity?)

Long tire life is also a plus. GSI5 aren't bad, I had General Altimax Arctic on my Canyon - nice in snow, not as good as Toyos on ice, but they didn't last long.

I'd like to say that money is not an issue, but it is, although I won't scrap safety over a few bucks.

Thanks.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
Are you are looking at winter and a second set for the other 7 months?
Why not go for a set of studs as they make a big difference on ice.
I run those on my Fire Pickup oh and it a Ram.

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Are you are looking at winter and a second set for the other 7 months?
Why not go for a set of studs as they make a big difference on ice.
I run those on my Fire Pickup oh and it a Ram.
Well, I'll have the "summer" (all-season) ones with the truck in (hopefully) 9 weeks from now. I'll get another set or rims (probably mags) for winter tires since I like to change them myself at the turn of the season.

Were I still living in N/W Quebec I'd get studs no question asked. Over there thare's a layer of packed snow/blue ice on the road from november to march (and I'm barely exagerating). Since Quebec City is the realm of salt spreading, I feel I don't need them most of the time, and they're more dangerous on very cold/dry pavement (ever slid on the studs while braking hard? The sound it makes is funny!) That's why I'd prefer good ice tires, they're the best of both worlds, for the week that follows icing rain episodes.

TrackDay

Reaction score
High marks for the Blizzak. I use them on every car I drive in the winter. On the Ram I use a 275/55.

Users who are viewing this thread