5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tire Advice

ottfire

Reaction score
Hello all. I have purchased my first pickup. I am new owner of a 2021 RAM 1500 Classic Warlock. Although a 5th gen year I believe it is considered a 4th gen because it is the Classic. Question: My OEM tires are 275/60/20. I want to buy a set of dedicated winter tires. I can get a good deal on Blizzak DM-V2 tires. The shop I am going to has recommended 265/70/17. Does anyone have any thoughts on this recommendation? Is anyone using this tire size for winters? Any help would be appreciated, said the rookie truck owner.

P.S. I did attempt to search out this specific topic in various forums and found nothing. If I am in the wrong place please advise. As I said I am new here.

stembridge

Reaction score
Yes, you have a 4th-gen truck (RAM Classic, "DS" vs. the 5th-gen "DT" trucks).

I ran dedicated winter tires when we lived in the Midwest, and a narrower tire is generally considered better for snow. 265/70R17 is what my truck originally came with (Tradesman trim).

2019_ss-snow-spoonriver.jpeg

I have no experience with Blizzaks - I ran Michelin X-ices on my former Chev SS Sport Sedan, and was happy with them. We moved South after I retired, so no need for dedicated winter tires anymore!

es

1D32319

Reaction score
Hello all. I have purchased my first pickup.

Any help would be appreciated, said the rookie truck owner.

To be curious OP, where are you at that you want a dedicated winter tire? Or is it a job related position of responsibility type thing where you often have to get out before the road crews?

What tires are on the truck right now? The generic OEM all weather tires I assume?

Not trying to discourage you from a nice new extremely safe winter tires, but lots of folks go year round with some sort of all terrain. Those with the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake(3PMSF) are better in the winter than those without.

I had no problems last year in NH with Falken Wildpeaks, had Cooper AT3s for two years in IN, my buddy still runs the OEM tires in ID. I switched my OEM tires to a mild all terrain tire with a 3PMSF, but our road crews tend to get out quickly and take care of the roads.

That said, there is really no replacement for good dedicated winter tires or studded tires for ice encounters. If you go the studded route, know that lots of states have seasons where you can't have them on the road.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have lived in MN my whole life and never used a dedicated snow tire so if you are wanting to have a separate set of dedicated wheels and tires for winter I can’t help you there.

I do a fair amount of ice fishing and have used Falken Wild Peak AT3’s and Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrains. Both are 3peak rated and I couldn’t have been more impressed with how they handle the winters and driving on the lakes. If you don’t need a separate set I recommend you just replace your stock tires with a 3peak all terrain tire.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run the Blizzaks on my truck and love them - the Mountain rated AT's are good in snow but can't compete with a dedicated snow tire on ice for handling and stopping. I stuck with the stock rim/tire size but going with the 17 will give you more sidewall and possibly a cheaper set-up both of which are good if you're happy with the look.

Users who are viewing this thread