5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Front

Dirtdoc

Reaction score
With active grill shutters does the ED need a winter front?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Per the owners manual the Gen 2 yes, Gen 3 is optional for comfort

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve driven in below freezing temps with and without the grill cover (as cold as -30C) without any temperature issues. I did notice the grill on my truck plugged up with snow and ice easily without the cover on causing the shutters to get stuck closed tho.

LouNY

Reaction score
With my 15 without the cover warmup was extremmly long, plus it regened more often and it took longer plus the mileage suffered without the cover.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the Gen3 it is not required. I had to correct the service advisor when he told me my warranty could be denied if I don't use it.

I've driven my truck in -30°C and it starts, warms ups fast, and runs great.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the Gen3 it is not required. I had to correct the service advisor when he told me my warranty could be denied if I don't use it.

I've driven my truck in -30°C and it starts, warms ups fast, and runs great.

i mean im no expert but. from reading alot of different things. the common reasonto cover was to keep the turbo warm…. if it gets to cold in the turbo issues occur. this was even with gen 3

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i mean im no expert but. from reading alot of different things. the common reasonto cover was to keep the turbo warm…. if it gets to cold in the turbo issues occur. this was even with gen 3
The turbo runs at insanely hot temperatures. It's the least of your concerns. The winter cover on the Gen2 engine was to help prevent intercooler icing. It's not required on the new one. The owners manual says one is available, not required.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about a link so that we can see what you're referring to?

With the Gen 2 the Intercooler would freeze up. It has been moved to avoid this in Gen 3

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OEM
How about a link so that we can see what you're referring to?

With the Gen 2 the Intercooler would freeze up. It has been moved to avoid this in Gen 3

Winter front 2020 and 2015. The 2015 was more secure.

winterfront2020.jpg winterfront2.JPG

taumaz

Reaction score
I went all winter last year without any issues. And I live in Canada. The cover is way overpriced imo.
That being said, if I already owned one I would put it on.

vitaminz

Reaction score
My '21 ED takes forever to warm up when 20F or less w/o the grill cover. Last year went skiing in the Rockies where it was 8F and it was 30 miles all downhill to Denver and the truck never got to operating temp w/o the cover. So, now I put the cover on if it's going to be less than 20F for a few days.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '21 ED takes forever to warm up when 20F or less w/o the grill cover. Last year went skiing in the Rockies where it was 8F and it was 30 miles all downhill to Denver and the truck never got to operating temp w/o the cover. So, now I put the cover on if it's going to be less than 20F for a few days.
The downhill probably didn't help.
I've never had a warm up issue and live in Central Ontario Canada. I've seen very cold temps and never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread