5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield wiper damaging hood

WanderingRam

Reaction score
Today I noticed a scratch on driver windshield wipers which has also damaged the paint on my hood. Anyone else have this issue? It's sad to see the lack of attention to detail in these trucks. I've found missing clips on panels as well. :/
20190924_153609.jpg 20190924_153540.jpg

Last edited:

jmr

Reaction score
I noticed this too on my 2019 RAM. My wiper and hood looks exactly like yours does. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Gdotlove

Reaction score
I know I’m late to the party... Has anyone talked to the dealer about this? I just noticed mine doing the same. It left a pretty decent wear mark on the hood, all the way to the metal and then some..

this truck has literally been a nightmare since I bought it. :|

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know I’m late to the party... Has anyone talked to the dealer about this? I just noticed mine doing the same. It left a pretty decent wear mark on the hood, all the way to the metal and then some..

this truck has literally been a nightmare since I bought it. :|
I thought there was a recall on this

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I remember reading on another thread with the same issue, it's because they stuck the wrong side wiper arm. They are specific to each side, and someone had a passenger side also on the driver's side and it was making contact.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I remember reading on another thread with the same issue, it's because they stuck the wrong side wiper arm. They are specific to each side, and someone had a passenger side also on the driver's side and it was making contact.
I read that thread too. It looks like the wiper arm in the pic is for the passenger side. The driver side arm is supposed to have a recess for hood clearance. The arm in the pic doesn't have this recess.

Driver side (with recess)
wiper arm driver recess.jpg

passenger side (no recess)
wiper arm passenger no recess.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I read that thread too. It looks like the wiper arm in the pic is for the passenger side. The driver side arm is supposed to have a recess for hood clearance. The arm in the pic doesn't have this recess.

Driver side (with recess)
View attachment 71213

passenger side (no recess)
View attachment 71214
Yep. Looks like they put the wrong side in. Pi$s poor QC, that's all... :rolleyes:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yep. Looks like they put the wrong side in. Pi$s poor QC, that's all... :rolleyes:

I remember when the new RAM came out, late 2018, on a forum they showed a limited with the correct chrome window trim on one side, but the other side had a lower level black trim. They mixed up the trim on the truck and no one noticed. To be honest, the owner didn't notice until he was washing it.

I mean they make several hundred thousand of these a year, mistakes happen, but FCA has never been known as a paradigm of quality control. Luckily they always seem to put more into their RAM products due to their cash cow nature for the company. However, this new generation of RAM is selling at a rate they never experienced before, its a recipe for mistakes.

Luckily I think my RAM was build on a Tuesday at around 10am (most productive day/time of the week), because I've had no issues (knocking on wood). But you get a Friday at 4:30pm build, oh boy.

jmr

Reaction score
Mine had that issue. The dealer repaired the hood and repainted it. The job turned out well no complaints.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Come on man... lol.
It's not just Chrysler, all manufacturers have these types of issues going way back. I was make ready manager at a local Buick/GMC dealer back in the day and many times we would get trucks MSO'd as a GMC with Chevy badging, steering wheels, center caps and interiors that would come on the transport truck. I would have to order all the parts to replace the Chevy stuff. This happened way more than you would think.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Come on man... lol.
It's not just Chrysler, all manufacturers have these types of issues going way back. I was make ready manager at a local Buick/GMC dealer back in the day and many times we would get trucks MSO'd as a GMC with Chevy badging, steering wheels, center caps and interiors that would come on the transport truck. I would have to order all the parts to replace the Chevy stuff. This happened way more than you would think.
True, but that doesn’t mean RAM shouldn’t raise the bar.

Cheers,

SD Rebel

Reaction score
This is also a forum, where a good percentage of people go to look for answers to issues, we represent only a small fraction of all owners and the distillation of all the issues that could potentially happen, we as a group don't represent the norm out there, at least I hope not :)

That being said, my truck has been trouble free (knock on wood).

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Just found this issue on my truck. Swapped the arms and no more rubbing. Definitely disappointed at FCA (again). But touched up hood and good now. Glad the bare metal was underneath and you can’t really see the touch up.

props to this forum. Always find answers to my questions.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just found this issue on my truck. Swapped the arms and no more rubbing. Definitely disappointed at FCA (again). But touched up hood and good now. Glad the bare metal was underneath and you can’t really see the touch up.

props to this forum. Always find answers to my questions.
like someone else said, every manufacture has issues like this. When you work the assembly line, you put on the part you are given, whether it is the right part or not. They can't stop the assembly line just because they have a batch of the incorrect parts. It will be caught somewhere else down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread