5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Tint Distortion

Ahole4sure

Reaction score
I am aware of some threads similar but I’m asking for some specific advice. I made the decision to proceed with tinting , esp the windshield, based on some experiences I read here.
I have a new 2023 Ram 1500. I paid $150 for both front windows to be tinted 20% and the windshield 50%. The guys seemed to do a good job. No bubbles or imperfections, etc. BUT I think the guy even notice the windshield had some wavy lines that I believe are what people are describing as distortion. Does not require polarized sunglasses to see it. It is a bit unnerving and my 19yo son even said this kinda makes me sick. The installer said that it should get better after it dries in a few days. I’m 10 days in and certainly no better! The guy never told me the brand of tint he used. And by the way the side windows just don’t have the distortion at all. They are different tint - 20% vs the 50 on the windshield. The installer said it was because of the angle that the windshield is viewed through and I was seeing “the grain of the tint”. Of note, if I look through the side windows at an angle I don’t see distortion.

I called another local shop and we stayed away from being critical of the initial installer but I was wanting some assurance that my issue could be fixed. The second shop stated that they had to do these re-installation all the time.
There are planning to remove the existing tint and reinstall Llumar 50 tint with a 10 year warranty. Asking for $150.

Is the cost reasonable?
Is it reasonable to expect no distortion? If I go with the Llumar?

Thanks

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For cost, that is around what I was quoted in a few places here in Los Angeles, in the end I decided against it because I didn't trust any of the installers no to fried the electronics

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a reasonable cost for full windshield tint. I agree that thet wavy can stay for a few days...threw me for a loop on my first truck...but was cleared up in a day or two. If you still have ti after 10 days I don't think it will get better on its own.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am aware of some threads similar but I’m asking for some specific advice. I made the decision to proceed with tinting , esp the windshield, based on some experiences I read here.
I have a new 2023 Ram 1500. I paid $150 for both front windows to be tinted 20% and the windshield 50%. The guys seemed to do a good job. No bubbles or imperfections, etc. BUT I think the guy even notice the windshield had some wavy lines that I believe are what people are describing as distortion. Does not require polarized sunglasses to see it. It is a bit unnerving and my 19yo son even said this kinda makes me sick. The installer said that it should get better after it dries in a few days. I’m 10 days in and certainly no better! The guy never told me the brand of tint he used. And by the way the side windows just don’t have the distortion at all. They are different tint - 20% vs the 50 on the windshield. The installer said it was because of the angle that the windshield is viewed through and I was seeing “the grain of the tint”. Of note, if I look through the side windows at an angle I don’t see distortion.

I called another local shop and we stayed away from being critical of the initial installer but I was wanting some assurance that my issue could be fixed. The second shop stated that they had to do these re-installation all the time.
There are planning to remove the existing tint and reinstall Llumar 50 tint with a 10 year warranty. Asking for $150.

Is the cost reasonable?
Is it reasonable to expect no distortion? If I go with the Llumar?

Thanks
I would have questioned the first shop a little more with quoting $150 for side windows and windshield. $150 is a good deal for just windshield, considering some shops won't even touch them because of legality of it and change of hurting BCM. I paid $300 for every piece of glass in my truck with 20% film, and 35% in windshield. Zero distortion on windshield.

JRD

Reaction score
I would have questioned the first shop a little more with quoting $150 for side windows and windshield. $150 is a good deal for just windshield, considering some shops won't even touch them because of legality of it and change of hurting BCM. I paid $300 for every piece of glass in my truck with 20% film, and 35% in windshield. Zero distortion on windshield.
This is the real answer. Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for. I, like HSKR paid roughly 300-325 for 5% on all windows & 35% on windshield. I did not experience the distortion you are referencing on my ram or my Durango.

Ahole4sure

Reaction score
Thanks all! So you are basically saying that because the first shop charged so little it was probably cheap tint??

The second shop made a big deal about the 10 year warranty and having used Llumar for many many years —- I supposed to go there tomorrow at 230pm. I’ll report back

JRD

Reaction score
Thanks all! So you are basically saying that because the first shop charged so little it was probably cheap tint??

The second shop made a big deal about the 10 year warranty and having used Llumar for many many years —- I supposed to go there tomorrow at 230pm. I’ll report back
Most likely cheap tint, I had 3M on my Durango & Llumar on my Ram. Did you ask the initial place what their warranty was and if it was fade resistant? Just in case you weren’t aware if they installed a cheap tint it could turn purple overtime.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid $120 to ceramic both front windows. Had no problem with that. My wife spends that much on coffee in a week. Tint is a much better ROI. :)

Ahole4sure

Reaction score
Most likely cheap tint, I had 3M on my Durango & Llumar on my Ram. Did you ask the initial place what their warranty was and if it was fade resistant? Just in case you weren’t aware if they installed a cheap tint it could turn purple overtime.

I paid $120 to ceramic both front windows. Had no problem with that. My wife spends that much on coffee in a week. Tint is a much better ROI. :)
Yeah it definitely wasn’t the money for me - I’d have gladly paid 3x what the first guy charged to have avoided having to go a second shop. I went there because someone recommended them — lol , I didn’t even ask for the price before he started and when he was done and said “$150” I was a little surprised at how little. So I guess cheaper tint for sure.
I assume the Llumar is a better choice

JRD

Reaction score
Yeah it definitely wasn’t the money for me - I’d have gladly paid 3x what the first guy charged to have avoided having to go a second shop. I went there because someone recommended them — lol , I didn’t even ask for the price before he started and when he was done and said “$150” I was a little surprised at how little. So I guess cheaper tint for sure.
I assume the Llumar is a better choice
In my experience, the windshield alone is often the cost of all 4 windows if not more. My truck it was like 150/175 window/windshield and like 225/300 for my Durango (in NJ vs SC for truck).

There is also a chance that they just installed it improperly as maybe they are inexperienced? If a friend had a good experience, and your windows look good maybe it was something during installation? This would also explain why they charged so little because they didn’t realize the work required to install the windshield?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The shop that did mine used 3m film. I made sure to ask before agreeing to the install. Especially with the price I was quoted as I expected, and was willing to pay more. For the record, I was quoted $250. But paid $300 because I was happy with the results

Marine6212

Reaction score
Getting my windows done on Sept 6th. 5% over the factory tint in back 3 windows, 32% on driver and passenger, 5% eyebrow and 70% on reat of windshield. All ceramic tint.

I'm in Georgia, no warranty on windshield due to Georgia law.

Users who are viewing this thread