5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will lifting void my warranty?

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Recently, a few companies have introduced 6" lifts for the 2019 Rams. I know I am going to go with at least a 3.5" but now seriously considering a 6" lift. Will either void the warranty on the truck?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the factory warrenty is the same as the MOPAR extended warrenty, which does NOT cover any issues directly related to a lift over 2". If a component such as the A/C fails, and it is not related to the lift, it will still be covered. Any component related to the lift that fails would not be covered. Here is the exact working:

THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:
  • Repairs due to any alterations or modifications to the Vehicle not approved or recommended by the manufacturer,
    including but not limited to: (a) failure of any custom or add-on / aftermarket part (unless listed as a specific covered part); (b) emissions and/or exhaust systems modifications; engine modifications, transmission modifications, and/or drive axle modifications, which includes any performance modifications; (c) oversized/undersized tires; (d) all frame or suspension modifications;
  • Lift kits that exceed two (2) inches; repairs to covered components that are the direct result of the failure of a lift kit that exceeds two (2) inches;
This is standard in the automotive world. Some companies don't even allow 2" lifts (Toyota) for warranty coverage. The good news in the US is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act keeps dealers from voiding non-affected parts.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I echo 356's post. Let me put it to ya this way, I modded the bejeezus out of our 17 Cummings. Any component related to removal of the emissions system that would have failed would be all on me. I just dont see suspension components failing, they usually wear out (ball joints/tie rod ends/bushings) and those arent gonna be covered by warranty anyways. I had my 75k on my RC lift on the Tundra and nothing failed, broke or prematurely wore out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 356

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks guys. Think I will stick to the 3.5" bolt on. Can always easily remove it and return to stock if something happens. So what you're saying is if something happens to the transmission (first year of new generation) the lift is not likely to be the cause and would therefore still be covered.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Correct. Under the magnuson act they have to prove that your altering of the truck is a direct cause for the part or parts to fail. If your good with your service writer they can turn a blind eye if its borderline component failure.

anthonysnell

Reaction score
If you get a 2inch level, does this mean it still under warranty because it does not exceed 2 inches

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you get a 2inch level, does this mean it still under warranty because it does not exceed 2 inches
You can cut your truck in half and bolt it back together... doesn't mean you touched the powertrain or suspension but you void your body work warranty.

Lifting your truck voids the warranty on parts you remove. But your aftermarket parts have their own warranty... it's all relative. If you mix and match and don't do your homework on ball joint and cv angles, yeah, you could be on the hook for any problems.

jamesfg

Reaction score
If your worried about voiding your warranty then get all your parts from a dealer and have them installed by their service department. Be prepared to pay dealership inflated prices on the parts and shop labor rates.

Last edited:

RebelJC

Reaction score
I know this is an old topic, but has anyone had any issues with a dealer trying to deny Warranty on power train parts (transmission specifically) because of a lift? I'm just about to put on a 3" leveling kit.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know this is an old topic, but has anyone had any issues with a dealer trying to deny Warranty on power train parts (transmission specifically) because of a lift? I'm just about to put on a 3" leveling kit.
Dealerships will try anything even if it's unrelated.

If you are sure you didn't cause the damage then do what you want and fight it if you ever have a problem.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Normally I would just say "only on the suspension parts you change", however, a large lift with especially large tires may push you towards other components that the dealership could potentially say are effected negatively in the driveline other than the suspension components, and of course things like axle shafts.

The rest of your warranty shouldn't be effected regardless. As someone mentioned, you could have the dealership do it, which often means the dealer won't even work on it themselves, they often have a 3rd party lift shop do the work, but at least will warranty everything. I've seen some giant lifts done on new trucks sitting on dealers lots, but they will overprice it like crazy.

Also, as mentioned the Magnusson act comes into play, but what can sometimes happen is the dealership will just say no and you in reality will have to prove it, often in court. The dealer will just on their hands and force you to act however way you can. Not like you can call the cops and force the dealer to do the work. They won't do anything they think they don't have to and will force you to prove it, either to corporate or make a small claims case out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread