5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi hotspot appears dead (SSID not visible)

djwdjw

Reaction score
30 days in and the WiFi hotspot looks to be functional but the SSID is not visible on any device I've tried. It used to work. AT&T is probably not the issue since that account is paid/automatic.

The Uconnect menus all look like it is working but changing the SSID and/or password looks to work but no SSID seems to be broadcasting.

Any ideas? The dealer menu seems to show the radio is there with connectivity and MSISDN, device brand, IMEI, etc.

??

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a wifi antenna between the upper and lower glovebox. Maybe its not working? Have you tried cycling the wifi on and off?

djwdjw

Reaction score
There is a wifi antenna between the upper and lower glovebox. Maybe its not working? Have you tried cycling the wifi on and off?

Yes I have cycled it on/off and changed the SSID and password, plus cycling it on/off again. I can't imagine that the antenna is a critical piece when I'm only 2 feet away from the radio, but I will certainly check it.

Any other ideas appreciated. Seems odd to have it die.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Ram system as I do not have mine yet, but many routers have an option to hide (not broadcast) the SSID for security. You have to manually add it with the password and security settings for it connect and save. Is there such an option to turn off? I would think it would as I would not want mine broadcasting every where I go.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Ram system as I do not have mine yet, but many routers have an option to hide (not broadcast) the SSID for security. You have to manually add it with the password and security settings for it connect and save. Is there such an option to turn off? I would think it would as I would not want mine broadcasting every where I go.

Yes, I am aware of the option for hiding the SSID, but I have not found any option to do so on the Ram system.

Anyone have any conflicting info about options to hide the SSID that I have not found, please let me know.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, after sitting overnight the wifi hotspot it is back working normally as before.

I tried to get it working yesterday for the better part of an hour with no success. I had also several times left the truck off for an hour or two, but the results were the same.

There must be something in the Uconnect software that resets things after sitting overnight. I wish I knew more that would explain what happens with this or how to force a reset (like it apparently does overnight).

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These Units made by Panasonic reset every time you start them technically. The longer though they sit though the more they reset. Anyone that has installed a new UAQ in an older truck knows that sometimes it takes 24 hours of sitting for it to fully reset and program to the vehicle.

They basically every time you start the truck re read the BCM to see how's its programmed. the old harmon units only did that after a master reset there is no master reset on the Panasonic units outside of them sitting overnight.

Heftiger

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but my 2020 Laramie is having the exact same issue. Going into the dealer next week to see if they have any fix.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I have the same issue and though I have NOT verified it yet, after I switched the cargo and 3rd brake light bulbs from LEDs (I had switched them from factory to LED ) back to 921 regular bulbs it seems to be working for me.

i had major issues while in the national parks where there was no service from my provider but I could see that there was service by AT&T when I turned on the uconnect WiFi.

one time I saw 4 bars of service but could not connect to my phone so I pressed the assist button and uconnect was able to connect me to AT&T so I know there was service but to no avail.

also on your phone make sure that private address (under WiFi) is NOT selected according to AT&T

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30 days in and the WiFi hotspot looks to be functional but the SSID is not visible on any device I've tried. It used to work. AT&T is probably not the issue since that account is paid/automatic.

The Uconnect menus all look like it is working but changing the SSID and/or password looks to work but no SSID seems to be broadcasting.

Any ideas? The dealer menu seems to show the radio is there with connectivity and MSISDN, device brand, IMEI, etc.

??
For my information, what is your reason for having wifi through the truck? I assume it's expensive and why not just use your phone? What are the advantages?
Thanks

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
If your phone is not AT&T then it is possible that you might not have service.

yes I paid $20 for a 1 month unlimited data and have found that for me and the wife that it is good to check in now and then.

also not all devices have cellular capability (some iPads, tablets, etc) so having WiFi allows you to stay connected.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your phone is not AT&T then it is possible that you might not have service.

yes I paid $20 for a 1 month unlimited data and have found that for me and the wife that it is good to check in now and then.

also not all devices have cellular capability (some iPads, tablets, etc) so having WiFi allows you to stay connected.
OK, so nothing special then. Most mobile phone plans plans offer unlimited data and wifi hotspot so it's as simple as turning on the hotspot on your phone and you have 4g wifi in your car at no extra cost.

Based on the 4g performance with my Sirius 360L radio I do believe that there is a better connection offered by the trucks antenna than with my phone but that advantage quickly disappears in urban areas where the signal is strong.

For folks without data plans on their cell phones I suppose it is worth it though on the older 3G, 4th Gen systems it's quite expensive at like $50/month. It would be great if you could buy minutes.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Bill-e yup in urban areas I agree no need to use it.

for me it was when I was traveling and in state and National park areas where there is spotty or no coverage depending on your provider.

i assume that since AT&T and Verizon where some of the first providers that they have more coverage then say t-mobile, sprint and others and that is why the auto companies use them for the WiFi.

for me $20 for a month of unlimited data is somewhat expensive but worth it if you are out and have no other coverage. Not for games or social media but just to check in now and then or know that if something happened that you have connectivity.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Twenty bucks is certainly worth it for a month while you're on Vacation. I have 3 months free anytime during the first year. I'll turn it on in May of 21 to try it out while camping. I typically camp on shooting ranges for matches and there typically isnt any signal. I will have to see of this helps and if it does I wouldn't minding spending 20 bucks for a few months during the season.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
system: Debian 9 lxde minimal with networkmanager

Wifi does work on my old toshiba laptop with linux-image 4.9.0.13-686-pae.
When I change to linux-image 4.9.0.13-RT-686-pae wifi does not work anymore. Networkmanager sais that Wifi Networks is disconnected.
When I change back to linux-image 4.9.0.13-686-pae wifi works again.

It seems that Wifi is disabled in the RT image.
Is there a way to get wifi working again with the RT image????
Wait just a minute. Are you asking a laptop linux OS question on a Ram forum or did I miss something?

Users who are viewing this thread