5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi Hot Spot - Is there any way to keep this powered when your are not in the Ram 1500?

raydi07

Reaction score
When RV'ing it would be nice to be able to use the Wifi Hotspot to Stream my TV shows. Most campgrounds wifi are to slow.
Has anyone found a method to keep the Hotspot powered except for just having the truck in Accessory mode? If we could add a toggle switch to just power the hot spot module this would be great.

geotex1

Reaction score
That would cost you a fortune given the available plans. I hotspot my cell phone for this as I have unlimited data. A portable hotspot also an option.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That would cost you a fortune given the available plans. I hotspot my cell phone for this as I have unlimited data. A portable hotspot also an option.
Was thinking the same. I don't understand the purpose of vehicle-based wifi. Cell phones already do this and are way more versatile (and affordable).

Javiturbo19

Reaction score
Was thinking the same. I don't understand the purpose of vehicle-based wifi. Cell phones already do this and are way more versatile (and affordable).

For me its just one less step I have to do when my kids are with me in the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
For me its just one less step I have to do when my kids are with me in the truck

Yeah, but it's a one-time thing. Once the kids have your phone's hotspot password, you're done. They connect to it just like they would to the truck's wifi.

Javiturbo19

Reaction score
Yeah, but it's a one-time thing. Once the kids have your phone's hotspot password, you're done. They connect to it just like they would to the truck's wifi.

You got to remember that the hotspot on your phone has a limit I believe and for 20 bucks a month I think is well worth it

natehawes

Reaction score
I pay the $20/month for the unlimited plan and I think it’s well worth it. My cell phone plan is not unlimited so with the trucks WiFi I don’t care about sharing the data with my kids. Also, I go into the mountains here (Utah) a lot and often my phone does not have coverage, or if it does it’s very slow. The trucks WiFi/cell signal from AT&T on the other hand is much stronger, I assume from the more powerful antenna mounted on the truck roof. Having data while camping, fishing, dirt biking, etc is great.

We were camping in Moab back in Oct and I was streaming some college football games from the truck to my laptop, outside under the stars. It was pretty fantastic!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I pay the $20/month for the unlimited plan and I think it’s well worth it. My cell phone plan is not unlimited so with the trucks WiFi I don’t care about sharing the data with my kids. Also, I go into the mountains here (Utah) a lot and often my phone does not have coverage, or if it does it’s very slow. The trucks WiFi/cell signal from AT&T on the other hand is much stronger, I assume from the more powerful antenna mounted on the truck roof. Having data while camping, fishing, dirt biking, etc is great.

We were camping in Moab back in Oct and I was streaming some college football games from the truck to my laptop, outside under the stars. It was pretty fantastic!
Thanks for posting this. I was not aware that it was unlimited. That's a great deal if you spend a lot of time in your truck.

geotex1

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw no unlimited data either, but I only looked once. I'm a two cell slave, and I have unlimited data on both Verizon and AT&T so I'm rarely without coverage unless I'm running through Wyoming. Lots of dead air where ranchers can refuse ROW for towers.

NickRebel

Reaction score

Question...was your truck on or off when you connected to the Wifi? And about how far?

ColoCougar

Reaction score
I have a 23 Ram 3500 and the wifi Hotspot is 20 bucks a month and uunlimited but it would be nice if you could get it to stay on all the time instead of having to keep turning on ACC after it times out. Do any of you know if this is possible?

Users who are viewing this thread