5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why you should always buy quality parts from reputable manufactures - Story and Pictures

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I probably will get a lot of flame for this, but putting cheap parts on your expensive rig is never a good choice.
1688540626570.png
I am an advocate of doing things correctly and buying quality parts, even if that means spending extra for something a cheaper alternative can serve the same function. "Just as good" and "good enough" are NEVER "good." Just because a cheaper alternative works doesn't mean it is built as strong as the more expensive, quality option.

Here is an example of what I personally went through this weekend:

I was sending it on a 2 lane wide trail over the weekend, going about 50-60 chasing my friend in his properly built 2500 going even faster. Going fast on dirt is part of what we do, and we all have all the safety equipment to do it. (bright rear facing amber lights, radios, etc). In this case, this flat dirt road was the quickest way for us to get out of the forest back to highway since we took longer than it should to pack up from camp.

Well, I was enjoying it until I saw a tree branch sticking out half way across the trail through the dust my friend kicked up after hitting a patch of soft, really fine dust, and I saw it too late. I yanked my wheel and tried to slow down in hope to go around it, but there was only so much I could do. I braced for impact and damages, and took the hit. I pulled over once I went pass the branch.

Luckily, the branch was from a burnt tree and was quite dry, so it wasn't as dense. My hood took initial impact, but it cut the tip of the branch and left a few scuff marks. My Baja Design Squadron Sport and SDHQ Ditch Light mount received harder impact, as they hit the thicker part of the branch. But at the same time, they protected the windshield and the A-pillar as they basically knock the thicker part off to prevent contact. The BD was knocked sideways 90 degrees, and the top portion of my passenger side wiper blade was pulled off. Aside from a few scuff marks on my hood, nothing was seriously damaged.
1688541485102.png
Driver side is how the ditch light is supposed to be aimed at, passenger side is how it looked after impact.
1688541464537.png
Scuff mark on the hood. Did not even go through paint.

The force hitting the BD light and SDHQ bracket was so strong that it knocked my ditch light 90 degrees. I torqued the BD light mount on the SDHQ bracket so tight than it is not possible to turn it, but the force of impact turned it. And yet, the plastic BD rock guard is intact, and not even a crack. The BD light still functions, despite the force of impact. The SDHQ mount did not even bend; the powder coat was slightly scuffed.
1688541620108.png
The BD bracket was slightly bent, and that was it. Hood looks to be misaligned, and that is normal with SDHQ ditch light bracket installation. I could take the time to fineness the mounting to make it look flush, but this is no show car or mall crawler.
1688541879387.png
First point of impact with the thinner part of the branch.

My windshield is intact with no scratch, crack, or shattered because of these quality products that are NOT designed for impact but are properly built by reputable manufacturers took the impact.
If I had some Chinese made cheap knock-off inferior products, I doubt the result would be anywhere similar. Hell, I'll even go as far as saying my windshield would be damaged not by the tree branch, but by the cheap light pod and bracket breaking off.

So folks, on this Independence Day, I recommend you to stop buying cheap Chinese knock-offs. Spend the money and buy quality parts made by reputable manufacturers (most of them are US companies). You never know what will happen, and you don't want to find out the hard way.

ps: some may say "don't go that fast on trails and this wouldn't happen." sure, that's true, but I've been doing this for years and this is the first and only time it happened.
ps2: my friend usually calls out things to look out for, whether it is objects on road/ trail, dips, whoops, incoming vehicle, fine dirt patch that make lingering dust etc. But this trip he brought his date and was distracted. Can't blame the guy though, he hasn't gotten his D wet in a long time and he needs to impress her.
ps3: I'm not saying you shouldn't buy anything Chinese to put on your truck; I'm saying for vehicular mods and products, stay with reputable American companies. I only use Chinese products for non-life dependent items like sleeping bags, pillows, disposable utensils, etc.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I doubt that anyone respectable and/or knowledgeable will flame you about trail speed. If your truck fulfills your wants and needs then who cares what "stay off my lawn guy" says anyway?

That's awesome that your light saved the day, and even more cool that you took the time to throw out some props to a quality manufacturer. 🍻

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubt that anyone respectable and/or knowledgeable will flame you about trail speed. If your truck fulfills your wants and needs then who cares what "stay off my lawn guy" says anyway?

That's awesome that your light saved the day, and even more cool that you took the time to throw out some props to a quality manufacturer. 🍻
believe it or not we do have guys that are on team "if it works it works" or "just as good is good enough" or "i rather spend less money than doing it right" lol

i was very surprised on how strong both BD and SDHQ products are. My BD had been sitting under the sun daily for 6 years, and been through all kinds of abuse and they still working like day one aside from faded exterior (due to older coating material). I call out questionable products BUT I also give credits where credits are due; I believe companies and people that make good products deserve to be complimented!

Users who are viewing this thread