5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn't everyone join the American Paint Horse Association, Mustang Heritage Foundation, etc before buying new?

tpetty

Reaction score
Am I missing something? About to order a new Ram 1500. I keep up on the MSRP thread. Discounts for 2020 are obviously not what the discounts for 2019s are going to be.

Why doesn't EVERYONE join one of the associations that automatically gives you affiliate rewards preferred pricing? There are many organizations eligible, for less than $50 join cost, that automatically lets you get 1% under invoice (without haggling) PLUS still qualify for any factory rebates/incentives. Is it because so many people are able to get the dealer to agree to even MORE than 1% under invoice, plus rebates? I realize that with hard haggling, you may be able to eat more into "hold back" - but not everyone likes to haggle, or is successful with it.

Does everyone not join because they are simply unaware, or is there some catch I'm not seeing?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I missing something? About to order a new Ram 1500. I keep up on the MSRP thread. Discounts for 2020 are obviously not what the discounts for 2019s are going to be.

Why doesn't EVERYONE join one of the associations that automatically gives you affiliate rewards preferred pricing? There are many organizations eligible, for less than $50 join cost, that automatically lets you get 1% under invoice (without haggling) PLUS still qualify for any factory rebates/incentives. Is it because so many people are able to get the dealer to agree to even MORE than 1% under invoice, plus rebates? I realize that with hard haggling, you may be able to eat more into "hold back" - but not everyone likes to haggle, or is successful with it.

Does everyone not join because they are simply unaware, or is there some catch I'm not seeing?
I think it’s the lack of awareness, even though such advice is often given (e.g. members were discussing this eighteen months ago on this one). In our case, both of our employers give us “supplier” pricing (same as you’ve pointed out) with most automakers. So it’s a no-brainer.

R

Rob5589

Is that guaranteed pricing? When I was looking at a new Silverado we used Kaiser employee pricing (wife is a RN). Dealer would not sell at the Kaiser pricing, said they are not bound by any reason to accept it. I also went through Chevrolet's own first responder program. It also had a disclaimer that it is up to the individual dealer to accept or not.

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
I joined Tread Lightly to get my Affiliate Pricing... Two points, first as @Rob5589 stated, they do not have to accept the affiliate pricing if they don't want to. Second point is that invoice price is imaginary and you can get far better deals that 1% under invoice through negotiations.

Bottom line, it's a great deal if you don't want to negotiate, don't want a special or particular vehicle or live in an area without a volume dealer that will provide larger discounts.

In my particular case, looking for a Power Wagon, the dealer was not thrilled, but willing, to give me affiliate pricing but all pleasantry went out the door. I contacted another dealer that had a similar vehicle and received a quote including a Dealer discount that was $3k more than the discount from the affiliate pricing. So I know for a fact there's far more room to negotiate than is provided by the Affiliate discount.

ldoh

Reaction score
I was looking for a Ford discount through the Experimental Aircraft Association and it was the same thing. It's a savings but there are restrictions and you can do better on your own. Plus associations love to spam you with mail and email.

In the end there's probably no substitute for patience, a high volume dealer, and negotiate via email/phone.

Users who are viewing this thread