5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesn’t dodge have a light truck?

Apettit13

Reaction score
Chevy has the Colorado, Toyota has the Tacoma, and with the relatively recent release of the new Ford Rangers, it got me thinking...

Why hasn’t dodge brought back the Dakota? I surely think there’s a market for it, I always liked how the Dakota's looked and performed. A lot of guys, myself included, don’t do any hauling, and have no real need for a full size truck. With that said, I’m a dodge guy and loved the Ram 1500, but with that said, would have preferred a Dakota or something a bit smaller had dodge made it.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
One of the big problems is that the Dakota was priced almost as much as the full size so unless someone specifically needed a smaller truck it wasn’t worth buying. Hopefully they change that if they want it to succeed

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never even had a clue! That’s exciting news
I agree, RAM needs this. Once upon a time I was also a dakota owner and I loved it. I personally won't ever go back to a midsize truck but there are plenty of folks who can make use of this size truck.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere they are expected to drop Gladiators front axle for an independent suspension.

I can’t believe Dakota has been gone 10 years!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well Ford thought they didn't need a mid-sized truck, they also didn't want one to take away sales from the very profitable larger trucks. However, with the success of the Colorado/Canyon, they made them change their mind and bring in the new (but old) international Ranger.

RAM I think fell into that same mindset, they are essentially using the classic RAM 1500 as the mid-sized "priced" alternative.

The new Dakota was thought to be cancelled, however the new ownership group Stellantis stated it's back on. They haven't confirmed the platform, but the talk is that it will either be based on the Gladiator or a smaller truck, based on a car platform, to compete against the Ford Maverick and upcoming small GM car based truck.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I jumped from a 2010 Dakota (last year for Dakota was 2011) to a 2013 Ram 1500. Only about 1 MPG difference between the 4.7 and the 5.7 that I noticed, and a lot more power and space.

They've been rumored to be bringing it back for a couple years now. We'll see if they are late to the party, or if they decide it isn't worth it.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Dakota and I loved that truck for 148,000 miles! It was just the right size, the 4.7 had plenty of power and with the 3.55 axle I could tow 7000 lbs., much more than a small truck from GM, Ford, or Toyota. It was extremely comfortable, smooth and quiet. Problem was price was very close to an entry level Ram even though the tow rating was higher. I would've bought another one but they went with a car-like economy interior in later years.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049156 miles.

Every20years

Reaction score
Loved my 2002 Dakota. Just sold it when I ordered the 1500. If they had still offered it I would have seriously considered it purely because of the size. At the time it was bigger than Ranger, Tacoma or the GM offerings. Had the 4.7L V8 so had the power and it was way nicer than those on the interior. My 2002 with the leather seats and AWD (pre cursor to 4 auto today) was still a nicer interior and ride than my friends 2018 loaded Tacoma. Might not have had the power, but if you but the EcoDiesel in the Dakota? I’d buy it. (Ok. Maybe not now after driving the 1500 Ltd). Pumped to pick my truck up tomorrow!

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
I had a 1997 with the V6 and it only had 156k miles when I sold it after getting the 1500 last year. Didn't like the V6, low on both power and gas milage. The truck was a good size though and a nice size upgrade from my 1987 Mazda B2000.

After a year with the "big" truck, don't think I could ever go back to anything smaller. It's just so wonderfully big and comfortable, gobs of power, and tech up the wazoo.

And I think the sub sounds just fine, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online