5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White residue in exhaust? DEF?

tom318

Reaction score
Just wrapped up a 1800mile trip and it seemed to have poor fuel economy and consumed a lot of DEF for what we did. Averaged 22mpg which is terrible but I had 4 bikes on the back. Maybe they acted like a sail? I’ve averaged that towing 5-6k before. Also used just under half a tank of DEF. Today I noticed a lot of white residue/dust in the exhaust.
I believe I had a coolant issue before where it was disappearing but a few items were replaced after I hit a deer and so far it seems ok so I don’t think it’s from coolant but I also don’t know.
Anyone else deal with this? I run truck stop DEF, no additives and at 81k miles. Might clean the DEF injector this weekend. IMG_6359.jpeg IMG_6358.jpeg

gorilla57

Reaction score
Remember, DEF consumption is based off of fuel consumption. So, if your MPG is low, your DEF use goes up. It's roughly 3% of the fuel consumption. For your 1800 mile trip at 22mpg, you should have used roughly 2.5gal of DEF. That's half a tank of DEF.

tom318

Reaction score
Remember, DEF consumption is based off of fuel consumption. So, if your MPG is low, your DEF use goes up. It's roughly 3% of the fuel consumption. For your 1800 mile trip at 22mpg, you should have used roughly 2.5gal of DEF. That's half a tank of DEF.
That sounds good then, maybe I shouldn’t be worried about what I’m seeing then?

tom318

Reaction score
Truck was in and out of the body shop for unrelated issues the last week. They were troubleshooting to find where the coolant was going with no success. About 15miles after I picked it up I got a CEL, P20EE. Anyone deal with this yet on the 3rd gen? I haven’t had the recall done yet for the DEF so I’ll start there. After that I can try cleaning the DEF injector and hope for the best? Truck is at 82k miles. I hope this isn’t the beginning of the end for me owning this thing….I’ll admit I have a bad attitude right now about this.

Users who are viewing this thread