5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one?! Help!

Which truck for my family?

• Total voters

Farva77

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My name is Phil, callsign "Farva" (born in Vermont, raised in Canada growing up, and worked for the police department prior to being a military pilot, hence the callsign... haha!), feel free to call me by either! This is my first post on the forums and I am extremely excited to not only get back into the truck game, but also the Ram gang! I have always been a sports car guy, but my wife and I are having a little boy soon, so I am currently selling my C7 Corvette to get a Ram pickup!

I have narrowed it down to two trucks and need your help making the smartest decision for my growing family!

I'll post the links for the two trucks.

Truck 1 is a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, and was used as a show truck. It's a 2WD and has very nice add-ons. It only has 21k miles and I went and saw it in person, it is immaculate and the owner is awesome.

Truck 2 is a 2018 Ram 1500 Rebel. It has higher miles; 43k miles. Also has very nice add-ons. It is being sold by a local dealership.

Things I am trying to consider:
1. I don't need 4x4, so 4wd isn't a necessity for me. I don't haul things, tow things, etc. but I totally understand the importance of it and value of it!
2. The 2019 Big Horn is beautiful, but with 35 in. wheels, it averages around 13/14 mpg so not great.
3. The 2019 Big Horn has a standard warranty as well as an extended warranty the owner put on it, fully transferable. I'm not sure what the Rebel has on it (obviously higher miles though).
4. The 2018 Rebel is priced at $33,250 and from a dealer. (meaning I have to pay full tax and all the other crap from a dealer.) The 2019 Big Horn, I've worked down to $32,000 private sale.
5. A crew cab and nice-looking truck is the most important aspect for me! ;)

So my question to everyone is after you have looked through the two options, which one seems like a better deal? Which one will hold value longer? What is your reason for picking one over the other?

Thank you everyone for the help! Excited to join the group!

-Farva

Last edited:
Of these two, lower miles and warranty for the win. You’ll have no problem holding a liter of cola! :p
(Had too, not sorry!)
haha YES! GOT ME GOOD ROOKIE!

So now, what if the Rebel also has a warranty? Also, thoughts on depreciation with either?

Well that levels the field quite a bit. But, still think I’d go with the Big Horn for the lower miles. Show truck, versus one that potentially has been run hard and off-roaded.

Congrats to the new addition to the family! Definitely hard to have a Corvette in that situation. I’m getting married later this year, we’ll be a two-Ram family. (Met my guy on this forum!)

Well that levels the field quite a bit. But, still think I’d go with the Big Horn for the lower miles. Show truck, versus one that potentially has been run hard and off-roaded.

Congrats to the new addition to the family! Definitely hard to have a Corvette in that situation. I’m getting married later this year, we’ll be a two-Ram family. (Met my guy on this forum!)

That's awesome! Congratulations and thank you so much for the input!

I’d say the Big Horn man. Helps that it’s tastefully done up too. My only reservation would be the price, as many of us have paid that or less for brand new trucks. But I suppose it depends if you view the mods as added value. Either way good luck and congrats on the kiddo!

If you live in a part of the world that gets cold ( freezing or below ) I’d take the Big Horn just to stay away from the air suspension just know that you might have some issues with the 2019 but the dealer will more than likely be able fix it .

I’d say the Big Horn man. Helps that it’s tastefully done up too. My only reservation would be the price, as many of us have paid that or less for brand new trucks. But I suppose it depends if you view the mods as added value. Either way good luck and congrats on the kiddo!
Thanks for the input! Yea at 32k it's about 1k more than the average big horn, but with over 10-11k (before installation) in mods that I would never be able to afford myself, it makes me more willing to pay just a tad more.

Thanks for the input! Yea at 32k it's about 1k more than the average big horn, but with over 10-11k (before installation) in mods that I would never be able to afford myself, it makes me more willing to pay just a tad more.

Totally missed your negotiated price! That’s not bad at all!

My vote is for the Rebel. But it's because it's got the Rambox option, which for me is huge. In fact, it's a deal-breaker for me if a truck doesn't have that. Plus, that Rebel has the blackout package, and more standard options than the Big Horn. Resale value will probably favor the Rebel for several reasons, one is because it's 4x4. Although location is a big factor in that. For instance, 4x2 trucks in my area lose their value a lot faster than 4x4's do. The Rebel is a higher trim level than the Big Horn, and has more standard features to help it keep it's value better. Aftermarket parts rarely if ever add to a vehicle's value in most cases, so don't expect those to help much, if any. In fact, many buyers would rather buy something that is bone-stock over something that someone else added parts to.

In the end of course, the choice is yours. Choose wisely and have fun with your new truck. Thanks for your service, and congrats to you and your wife on the expected birth of your son!

I appreciate everyone voting and for the few who have commented. A concern I have is depreciation value... so between the two. I drive about 10k per year. I only keep vehicles for 2-3 years at a time. So let's figure 3 years with 30k additional miles.

Selling in 2023:
2019 Ram 1500 2WD with 52k miles (4 years old)
2018 Ram 1500 Rebel with 72k miles (5 years old)

How much does anyone estimate the difference would be? I see 2015 rams with 50k miles going for 29k and that to me is crazy! But a 2015 big horn I dont see going for anywhere similar

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate everyone voting and for the few who have commented. A concern I have is depreciation value... so between the two. I drive about 10k per year. I only keep vehicles for 2-3 years at a time. So let's figure 3 years with 30k additional miles.

Selling in 2023:
2019 Ram 1500 2WD with 52k miles (4 years old)
2018 Ram 1500 Rebel with 72k miles (5 years old)

How much does anyone estimate the difference would be? I see 2015 rams with 50k miles going for 29k and that to me is crazy! But a 2015 big horn I dont see going for anywhere similar

Thanks everyone!
My 2015 BigHorn with 52k miles is valued between $22-$26k. Added aftermarket options will NOT add trade-in value. The vehicle that is higher in "class" will have more value than those lower in "Class". Mileage is a big factor. However, the majority of trucks sold are 4x4 and hold their value better. Hopefully, this has assisted your decision. Enjoy that kid of yours, they're a life changer.

Well.... went to go look at the rebel after the dealership scheduled me an appointment and they sold it before I even got there... Looks like the Big Horn it is lol

Well.... went to go look at the rebel after the dealership scheduled me an appointment and they sold it before I even got there... Looks like the Big Horn it is lol

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've got a Big Horn 4x4 with Sport package. I'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back