5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When towing, will this turn off MDS?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Tow/Haul kills MDS in my 2019 Big Horn. Early on I took it on a trip. I was bucking some high winds on the Conejo Grade with cruise control on so it started doing that hunting business dropping into 7 and accelerating like mad then upshifting, so I hit Tow/Haul and made that stop. Then as I was tooling along on the level I noted the instant mileage was low. Thought to shut off tow mode and instantly the ECO light came on.

Triple X

Reaction score
I re-checked mine today and couldn't get the MDS to engage while in Tow/Haul mode.
I thought it did engage when I tried it before.

Looks like you gents are correct.
Sorry for the bad info.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I re-checked mine today and couldn't get the MDS to engage while in Tow/Haul mode.
I thought it did engage when I tried it before.

Looks like you gents are correct.
Sorry for the bad info.

No worries, that's how we figure stuff out :)

Though you may not actually be wrong, there are a couple of posters who say their MDS does turn on in T/H mode, it could be based on model or spec?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, my MDS is disabled when T/H mode is activated, other's have noted that same thing, but it could be year dependent.

Def could be - wouldn't put it past FCA Engineers to leave wonky programming on various trims.

I distinctly tried it out, not when towing, just in T/H mode in windy mountain roads, I had MDS (and the ECO light) kick on every descent/ascent.

Never happened with the gear limiter though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Def could be - wouldn't put it past FCA Engineers to leave wonky programming on various trims.

I distinctly tried it out, not when towing, just in T/H mode in windy mountain roads, I had MDS (and the ECO light) kick on every descent/ascent.

Never happened with the gear limiter though.

Interesting, what year is your truck?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
'19 Rebel - If I remember on my next drive I'll shoot a video, these little things always seem odd between model years.

That's real interesting, I was expecting a newer year if they indeed change it, but to be the same year and trim as my truck is a surprise. But you would be one of 2-3 posters on this forum who stated their MDS still functioned in T/H mode.

Users who are viewing this thread