5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When should I replace Brake pads to avoid rotor damage?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just hit 23K miles on my 19' Longhorn and would like to preserve the factory brake rotors from any damage. What is the average lifespan of stock brake pads?

I just hit 23K miles on my 19' Longhorn and would like to preserve the factory brake rotors from any damage. What is the average lifespan of stock brake pads?
That all depends on who you talk to and what their agenda is. I've had a Honda dealership and independent shop try to sell me brakes when they were not needed, nice easy job for both, well over 25,000 miles later the pads were replaced. Than with another vehicle and mechanic that did not want to replace because he said they still had 4-5 thousand miles.
I learned to check and change brake pads on my motorcycles because the rear pads only had a 4-5K life span. I can do the exchange in 5 minutes while the shop charged 1/2 hr labor on an annual service (which I also do myself now).
Your brake pad longevity will depend on your driving style: city/highway, foot on gas/brake all the time vs coasting to a stop. How ia your MPG? It is also vehicle dependent as I have had friends with a Tundra and Lexus that ate brakes. So much so that both got rid of the vehicles because of it. Brake pad material can also vary. My motorcycle takes different material for the front and rear pads.

If you don't have a mechanic you can trust and don't have the mechanical, physical ability or desire to do it yourself you are at the mercy of where ever you take the vehicle. If they want to sell you pads be sure to DEMAND the parts back in advance, in NY it's the law. Leave a box in the truck with a note to place the pads there.
I'm not familiar with Pa. annual auto inspections. What is covered in Pa. with annual inspection? Is it state run or is it an independent shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back