5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What your mileage on your ecodiesel?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I did about 6,000mi in the first 2 months, I'm now about 7500mi on month 3.5.

I find my MPG indicator reads about 5% higher than what I'm actually pumping. I'm actually having trouble reporting a single tank because I pump about 45-gal at a time (30+15 in the bed). It's hard to report my habits what I'm getting when I'm going from Florida to New York on one tank. I will mention I drive the Ram a lot different than my other vehicles, I try to avoid a lot of fluctuations and time lights. I'll slow down going up a hill and let gravity bring me back down, depending on traffic. Lifetime average, I'd say about 28mpg, because I do a lot of night driving and highway runs.

Short term:
About 28-29mpg on my commute, which is 40% highway and mixed suburban driving.
About 22-24mpg going on local errands (which I try to avoid).
About 31mpg doing 70-ish with ACC on.
About 29mpg matching behavior on the Jersey Turnpike.
About 34-35mpg if I'm doing about 50-60mph on a smaller highway (Like US 301 at night).

45-55mph seems to be the truck's optimal mpg for any distance.
40-45mph, doesn't carry enough momentum, so the smallest hill will affect my fuel economy.
55-60mph gives me more wiggle room to bleed off and use my momentum to carry me up and back down a hill.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did about 6,000mi in the first 2 months, I'm now about 7500mi on month 3.5.

I find my MPG indicator reads about 5% higher than what I'm actually pumping. I'm actually having trouble reporting a single tank because I pump about 45-gal at a time (30+15 in the bed). It's hard to report my habits what I'm getting when I'm going from Florida to New York on one tank. I will mention I drive the Ram a lot different than my other vehicles, I try to avoid a lot of fluctuations and time lights. I'll slow down going up a hill and let gravity bring me back down, depending on traffic. Lifetime average, I'd say about 28mpg, because I do a lot of night driving and highway runs.

Short term:
About 28-29mpg on my commute, which is 40% highway and mixed suburban driving.
About 22-24mpg going on local errands (which I try to avoid).
About 31mpg doing 70-ish with ACC on.
About 29mpg matching behavior on the Jersey Turnpike.
About 34-35mpg if I'm doing about 50-60mph on a smaller highway (Like US 301 at night).

45-55mph seems to be the truck's optimal mpg for any distance.
40-45mph, doesn't carry enough momentum, so the smallest hill will affect my fuel economy.
55-60mph gives me more wiggle room to bleed off and use my momentum to carry me up and back down a hill.

Are those numbers from hand calculating, or the dash computer?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
74,000km on my 2020, no issues. Love my diesel and plan on getting it tuned by GDE as soon as my warranty is up.

Been changing the oil every 10,000km or so.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

tmonge71

Reaction score
Just got back from my first "stretch" the legs of my 2022 ED 3.92. Drove from northcentral IL up to Muskegon MI spent Sat and Sun driving around the greater Muskegon area and then headed back to the Peoples Republic of Illinois. Truck hand calculated averaged 27.4 mpg total miles 712, 26.0 gallons of fuel and no fuel stops. Pretty happy considering my old 2016 Hemi would have averaged 19 at best or a 44% increase over gasser.

wiskyram

Reaction score
52,250 miles in 19 months. Lifetime average per Fuelly is 27.3 mpg. Some long trips, some short trips and Wisconsin winters all mixed in there. Very happy with the truck thus far, only regular maintenance and recalls. If the price difference between gas and diesel stays like it is now in my area though, might be looking to get out of this truck sooner rather than later. Used to make financial sense, right now it's actually costing me more. Don't tow a ton, but the bed is used nearly every day.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30k miles (49k Kms). Last trip was around 600 kms and I averaged 30 MPG. I cant complain except for the price of diesel. Its sure outta control right now.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30k miles (49k Kms). Last trip was around 600 kms and I averaged 30 MPG. I cant complain except for the price of diesel. Its sure outta control right now.
It sure is, when I first bought my 2020 diesel was cheaper than gas. Now it’s around 50 cents per litre more.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sure is, when I first bought my 2020 diesel was cheaper than gas. Now it’s around 50 cents per litre more.
Wow you already have 49k km on your 22 Rebel, my 20 Rebel is at 64k km, I haven’t been using my truck lately mainly because of the fuel prices, 72 cents per litre more than regular gas in Timmins Ontario, my wife and I are retired so we have been using her Jeep Cherokee, the last time I fueled up my truck was on October 11, I was hoping for the price to go down, it’s on the low fuel warning, before using my truck I will fuel up with my 20L jugs of fuel, it is not coloured fuel, it’s was for my Kubota tractor, I will then refill the jugs with coloured fuel for my tractor.

We have a 2k km trip soon and will use the Jeep , I prefer the Rebel on the highway but it will be much cheaper using the Jeep.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow you already have 49k km on your 22 Rebel, my 20 Rebel is at 64k km, I haven’t been using my truck lately mainly because of the fuel prices, 72 cents per litre more than regular gas in Timmins Ontario, my wife and I are retired so we have been using her Jeep Cherokee, the last time I fueled up my truck was on October 11, I was hoping for the price to go down, it’s on the low fuel warning, before using my truck I will fuel up with my 20L jugs of fuel, it is not coloured fuel, it’s was for my Kubota tractor, I will then refill the jugs with coloured fuel for my tractor.

We have a 2k km trip soon and will use the Jeep , I prefer the Rebel on the highway but it will be much cheaper using the Jeep.
Just filled up today at $2.149 per litre. $220.05 total.

Come April I will be putting on roughly 12000km in about 3 weeks all while towing an enclosed trailer loaded one way 1500km and back empty 1500km while I move up north. Going to be a good test of the drivetrain.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just filled up today at $2.149 per litre. $220.05 total.

Come April I will be putting on roughly 12000km in about 3 weeks all while towing an enclosed trailer loaded one way 1500km and back empty 1500km while I move up north. Going to be a good test of the drivetrain.
Enclosed trailers are very noticeable when towing, wind drag and mpg, I try to stay below 100km/h unless going downhill when towing my 8X16 enclosed trailer. Going faster really affects the mpg.

Where north are you moving?

41magmag41

Reaction score
2019 1500 4x4 with 97000 on her. 67000 miles replaced front differential and right half shaft {at Rams expense}, 94000 miles 16 plugs and left manifold, 96666 miles left front wheel bearing. I consider the plugs, wheel bearing as routine maint. the others no so much.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Enclosed trailers are very noticeable when towing, wind drag and mpg, I try to stay below 100km/h unless going downhill when towing my 8X16 enclosed trailer. Going faster really affects the mpg.

Where north are you moving?
Moving full time to my house in Nakina, got an offer for our house down south we couldn’t refuse and I am ready for a change of pace anyways. Just waiting until winter is over before moving up.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Moving full time to my house in Nakina, got an offer for our house down south we couldn’t refuse and I am ready for a change of pace anyways. Just waiting until winter is over before moving up.
Nakina! Had to google that place, wow that’s 6 hours north west of Timmins, where I live, I also own a 70 acre property in Oposatika on the TransCanada highway 11, it’s 2 hour north west of Timmins, that’s where my dad was born, but could not imagine myself living there.

What kind of work will you be doing out there?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nakina! Had to google that place, wow that’s 6 hours north west of Timmins, where I live, I also own a 70 acre property in Oposatika on the TransCanada highway 11, it’s 2 hour north west of Timmins, that’s where my dad was born, but could not imagine myself living there.

What kind of work will you be doing out there?
Ideally I’d be working for the municipality where there is a decent pension, benefits and I am close to home. Until one of those jobs open up I plan to work at one of the many camps guiding fishermen and hunters for most of the year and then taking October-May off to do my own hunting and fishing.

There’s lots of jobs at the new mine in Geraldton or the mill just outside of town, but I’d rather not drive far during the winter months.

The move and even living that far north will be a really big test for the tiny ecodiesel, lots of diesel work trucks that way so it shouldn’t be bad. If it’s -50 chances are you won’t be going anywhere anyways.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ideally I’d be working for the municipality where there is a decent pension, benefits and I am close to home. Until one of those jobs open up I plan to work at one of the many camps guiding fishermen and hunters for most of the year and then taking October-May off to do my own hunting and fishing.

There’s lots of jobs at the new mine in Geraldton or the mill just outside of town, but I’d rather not drive far during the winter months.

The move and even living that far north will be a really big test for the tiny ecodiesel, lots of diesel work trucks that way so it shouldn’t be bad. If it’s -50 chances are you won’t be going anywhere anyways.
Good luck with the move, big step for sure. I searched for the diesel fuel prices in that area, the closet I could find was in Hearst, it was $2.45/L, so it must be around that price, the price of fuel actually dropped to $2.29/L at some gas stations in Timmins today.

Good thing for the efficiency of the small diesel.

Good money in mining, almost 35 years for me, It will soon be a year since my retirement from Kidd Creek Mine, Glencore Canada, copper, zinc and silver, the deepest base metal mine in the world, approaching 10,000 feet, there are two mine shafts to get to that depth, the first shaft is from surface to 5,000 ft, it has a double deck cage for 140 men (70 per deck) per trip, then a 5 minute train ride to get to the next shaft, it goes from 4,700 ft to 9,600 ft. You can also drive diesel equipment down the ramp, from surface all the way to the bottom, it’s a long rough spiraling 17% grade, must be 4 wheel drive or you’ll never come back up.

Users who are viewing this thread