5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wanted to get peoples opinions on two possible wheel/tire setups that I’m considering.

Truck is a Built to Serve in Ceramic Gray and currently has the stock 20” technical gray wheels with 275/55R20 Falken all-terrains.

Option one is to keep the current wheels, but go up to a 285/60R20 tire. Probably the Toyo Open Country AT3.

Option two is to ditch the stock setup and put on a set of the Limited Night Edition 22’s with a 285/55R22 tire. Again, probably the Toyo’s

Truck has the off-road package which has an increased ride height of 1-inch. And I’ll be leveling the front. Truck won’t be seeing much off roading.

Thoughts? Just want to keep it to these two options.

thank you!

Last edited:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of those two options, I’d take the first one: stick with the 20s, and add a little width and sidewall. 22s are a sin on a truck, especially one with an off-road package, whether you use it or not. (20s are only slightly less sinful; when I get my Longhorn, I’m going to put on the Fuel 18s that my Laramie currently sits upon).

This is my opinion. There are many like it (and more unlike it), but this one is mine.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
What would I do?

I'd save my money and wait until the original tires wore out before I went shopping. You've had your truck less than a year. Surely the tires can't be worn out already.

If that's not your style, stop and consider how long you plan to keep this thing. A couple years, do whatever. Long term -- keep the stock wheels. I've seen too many crappy looking vehicles because they lost a center cap or bent a wheel and the aftermarket wheels are discontinued. Then they end up with a mismatched wheel. Good luck finding a matching wheel in a junkyard. Does Hollander even reference aftermarket wheels? Anyway, 6 or 7 years from now you may need to replace something but the only way to do it is to replace all four and you may not want to spend that much on an old truck.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Off Road = less wheel and more tire.

My 22's ride smooth, on my street queen, but I'm terrified of curbs.

Jako

Reaction score
What would I do?

I'd save my money and wait until the original tires wore out before I went shopping. You've had your truck less than a year. Surely the tires can't be worn out already.

If that's not your style, stop and consider how long you plan to keep this thing. A couple years, do whatever. Long term -- keep the stock wheels. I've seen too many crappy looking vehicles because they lost a center cap or bent a wheel and the aftermarket wheels are discontinued. Then they end up with a mismatched wheel. Good luck finding a matching wheel in a junkyard. Does Hollander even reference aftermarket wheels? Anyway, 6 or 7 years from now you may need to replace something but the only way to do it is to replace all four and you may not want to spend that much on an old truck.
I go along with Richard, mods can wear off with time and original equipment can grow on you.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Ride will be a bit better with bigger tires on smaller wheels. If that doesn't concern you, go with what makes you smile the most! FWIW, when I changed out my wheels and tires, I kept my factory combo and stored in the loft of my shed, in case I ever sell the truck or have an issue with the combo I have on the truck now.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I’m leaning towards keeping the stock 20’s and bumping up the tire size.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A quick, and not so great photoshop, but I don’t feel they fit the style of the BTS package. Keeping the stock 20’s!

Attachments

• DDDA1678-523E-4AD0-91B4-3251B43F09B1.png
    DDDA1678-523E-4AD0-91B4-3251B43F09B1.png
    712.1 KB · Views: 56

Rambro1776

Reaction score
I’d increase tire size imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread