5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to order...lift kit

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think there’s really any difference between the two, but when I googled it ONE of the websites listed “C” for 2019-21 and “D” as only 2021. If it were me I’d just get the latest version, “D”. They are both only for crew cabs too. For whatever reason I’ve read that the 6’4 bed in the quad cabs or crew cab long beds don’t work with the mopar lift - it’s only for crew cab 5’7 beds. One other side note - sometimes the dealerships offer 10 to 20% off mopar accessories. I’d probably just buy it thru them and have it installed by them. If you don’t get it installed by them then it will still void your warranty and there’s no point in getting this lift kit then because there’s plenty of better options out there for cheaper.

Joel5992

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I was going to have the dealer install it. I'll check with my dealer. They have a 15% discount going on right now.

lkjk

Reaction score
lifts aren't gonna void your warranty, and it doesn't matter where you get it installed, FYI. If a dealer tells you that I'd find a new dealer since they are just fleecing you anyway.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
lifts aren't gonna void your warranty, and it doesn't matter where you get it installed, FYI. If a dealer tells you that I'd find a new dealer since they are just fleecing you anyway.
100% false. A lift kit is absolutely going to void your warranty unless the dealer installs it and gives you written acknowledgement that they installed the lift and they will still warranty it. It 100% matters where you get it installed too.

alexharrel

Reaction score
100% false. A lift kit is absolutely going to void your warranty unless the dealer installs it and gives you written acknowledgement that they installed the lift and they will still warranty it. It 100% matters where you get it installed too.
Relax man, this is not true. Many factors and a lot of nuance here.

Joel5992

Reaction score
It won't void the warranty. By law the manufacturer has to prove that the lift kit is responsible for the failure of whatever part. This wasn't true years ago but it is now. I look at it this way. If it causes something to fail they can't say anything because it is their own manufactured part designed for the truck. Just my take.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So when my truck had 4000 miles on it the arm of the transfer case broke, which caused the transfer case to drop a couple inches which bent the driveshaft, busted one CV axle and tweaked the other one. Total cost for all those parts replaced by the dealer was $4500. I went back and forth with multiple dealerships and Ram Corporate for a full month and without “proving” anything they refused to warranty any of it because the truck had a BDS lift put on it 2000 miles prior. Even though nothing on the lift broke, it was the factory transfer case ram that broke and caused all the damage. I escalated the situation as high up as I could get it, and at the end of it they basically said “F off, we’re 100% not warrantying this because it was lifted and when I said I would get an attorney they basically laughed and said something along the lines of “go ahead, we have deeper pockets and better lawyers than you.”
So I laugh when I hear people quote the Magnuson Moss Act because yeah in a perfect world they have to “prove” it caused the damage, but in the real world they have good lawyers and they will find a way to get out of it. Ram service is absolutely a joke, and if you want your truck’s suspension (and probably powertrain) under warranty I would have the lift kit installed by the dealership with written acknowledgement that they will still honor the warranty. When I was going through all the claims with Ram Corporate and everything they never once asked what kind of lift it was, they were ONLY concerned about if the dealership did the install. And as soon as they learned another professional shop did it and not the dealership they told me to kick rocks.

lkjk

Reaction score
Lots of words
Not sure what the "arm of the transfer case" is, but that whole scenario sounds like something that would not get warrantied.

If you are doing that much damage, can't imagine it wasn't a mistake on the installer's behalf. Not familiar with that kit but if its a diff drop and it wasn't tightened, would kinda make sense if it f'd the CVs and driveshaft/Tcase. Sounds like it sucks but reading that i'd probably tell you to **** off also if i were them, that much damage doesn't randomly happen and is probably due to the install of your lift, not the lift itself.

So again, a lift isn't gonna void your warranty.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not sure what the "arm of the transfer case" is, but that whole scenario sounds like something that would not get warrantied.

If you are doing that much damage, can't imagine it wasn't a mistake on the installer's behalf. Not familiar with that kit but if its a diff drop and it wasn't tightened, would kinda make sense if it f'd the CVs and driveshaft/Tcase. Sounds like it sucks but reading that i'd probably tell you to **** off also if i were them, that much damage doesn't randomly happen and is probably due to the install of your lift, not the lift itself.

So again, a lift isn't gonna void your warranty.
You’re talking out of your *** but ok. I know how everything works and I know how the lift was installed. This damage was not caused by the lift. It was 100% bad cast aluminum from the factory in my opinion and multiple mechanics opinions. And FCA never even looked into it to even fully determine it one way or the other.

dannymcd

Reaction score
Ram, just so you all know that warranty isn't worth anything. They're probably the worst warranty in the industry. So get over it, don't worry about it and lift away they're not going to cover anything anyway.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when my truck had 4000 miles on it the arm of the transfer case broke, which caused the transfer case to drop a couple inches which bent the driveshaft, busted one CV axle and tweaked the other one. Total cost for all those parts replaced by the dealer was $4500. I went back and forth with multiple dealerships and Ram Corporate for a full month and without “proving” anything they refused to warranty any of it because the truck had a BDS lift put on it 2000 miles prior. Even though nothing on the lift broke, it was the factory transfer case ram that broke and caused all the damage. I escalated the situation as high up as I could get it, and at the end of it they basically said “F off, we’re 100% not warrantying this because it was lifted and when I said I would get an attorney they basically laughed and said something along the lines of “go ahead, we have deeper pockets and better lawyers than you.”
So I laugh when I hear people quote the Magnuson Moss Act because yeah in a perfect world they have to “prove” it caused the damage, but in the real world they have good lawyers and they will find a way to get out of it. Ram service is absolutely a joke, and if you want your truck’s suspension (and probably powertrain) under warranty I would have the lift kit installed by the dealership with written acknowledgement that they will still honor the warranty. When I was going through all the claims with Ram Corporate and everything they never once asked what kind of lift it was, they were ONLY concerned about if the dealership did the install. And as soon as they learned another professional shop did it and not the dealership they told me to kick rocks.

I agree with you. People misuse the MM act is the big confusion.

When you get your suspension serviced, right then and there, they go after the aftermarket parts. They can prove that a lot faster, because it’s not stock.

Now what people ALWAYS IGNORE, that is JUST enough proof “modification to original parts” to void a warranty. Now, it’s the customers fault to PROVE IT wasnt the lift….that part cost money. A lot more money then to fix the issue.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Exactly! The dealer washes their hands clean of any warranty on the suspension when you modify it and if something happens they’re going to immediately say it was the modifications fault. If you want to hire an attorney and fight it and actually have it investigated, go for it; but like FCA told me in so many words - “we have deeper pockets and better lawyers” - so basically you’re SOL. I’m sure if you did hire an attorney and were able to prove it was Ram’s fault that Ram would then have to pay to fix it and pay your attorney fees, but honestly who has the time or money to go thru that whole process? Usually it’s just not worth it. It got to the point after a month where I was like screw this I just want my freakin truck back! I couldn’t afford to draw the issue out for months and months.

Users who are viewing this thread