5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What rear axle does my '25 1500 have?

v8440

Reaction score
I don't mean what gear ratio, I mean what axle type. It looks pretty similar to, but not identical to, the chrysler corporate 9.25" axle that's been out since the mid 70's at least and was used in practically every dodge 1500 truck in the 90's/early 2000's since at least 1994. My '09 hemi rcsb I used to have also had one of these. It had the ubiquitous stop sign-shaped cover held on by 12 bolts. I've seen somewhere that the newer ones are made by zf and have a 230 mm ring gear. Is this true, and if so, how do they compare to the old 9.25" mopar axle?

I know the driveshaft is massive lol, I went under to install my side steps and I was like Holy ****

I think they're aluminum shafts, which need to be bigger diameter (at the same material thickness) to have both the same torsional strength and critical speed (speed above which it will start oscillating and then bend and destroy itself) as steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back