5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what makes an engine hemi?

laramie4x4

Reaction score
I'm new to this and this a probably a stupid question...

I read that a hemi engine is defined by "a domed cylinder head". Since the Ford Coyote 5.0 also has a hemispherical shaped cylinder head, can the Coyote be classified as "hemi" also?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Following...
I thought Hemi is a name Dodge gave it... Didn't know it's the internal designs name.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Lots of cars have hemispherical cylinder heads. Several Italian care had them before Dodge tried them in the early 50’s. Dodge just got it trademarked and used it. I always imagine the 426 Hemi whenever I hear/read “hemi” which is exactly what they want..

laramie4x4

Reaction score
download.jpg 004-Frankenstein-CNC-Ported-Coyote.jpg

Looking at the images, looks like the Coyote has 4 valves, and the Hemi looks a little more domed with only 2 valves. I guess then I should just think about Hemi as a marketing name?

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Coyote has 4 valves with makes is a pent roof not a Hemispherical. Newer Hemi's are not truly hemisphereical now either since the switch to the oval chambers.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
True hemis can only fit 2 valves.

There are two different things being discussed: hemi which is an engine design and HEMI which is a tradmarked moniker by FCA (similar to Powerstroke, Duramax, Vortec, etc.).

Shives

Reaction score
With the possible exception of FORD, HEMI is the most celebrated set of four letters in all automobiledom. At the mere mention of the word, teens drool, musclecar mavens bow, and mothers draw small children under protective arms. The actor Jon Reep launched his career by uttering, "That thing got a Hemi?" in recent Dodge Ram television ads.

After three decades of retirement, the return of the Hemi engine ranks with the capture of Sadam Hussein as righteous proof of America's unyielding spirit. At least that's what I, as a member of the 1960s Hemi-owning and admiring generation, thought upon hearing that Chrysler was resuscitating its Hemi. But, upon close inspection of the new engine's innards, I was disappointed to find that the vaunted hemispherical combustion chambers are NOT part of the deal.

The HEMI name comes from the dome-shaped ceiling atop each cylinder inside some engines, a configuration that has seen wide aircraft, motorcycle, and racing use since it was introduced by obscure Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905. The key benefit is that the hemispherical dome facilitates extra large intake and exhaust valves, a relatively uninhibited pathway for fuel and air into the cylinder, and an easy means for spent exhaust gasses to escape. The easier it is for an engine to pump its working fluids, the more power it produces.
Chrysler first experimented with Hemi designs for World War II aircraft engine use. The fruit of that research appeared under the hoods of 1951 Chrysler Saratoga and New Yorker sedans. Chrysler's first hemi-headed V-8s produced 180 horsepower versus Cadillac's 160 hp and Oldsmobile's 135 hp, lighting the fuse on the original horsepower war.

DeSoto and Dodge picked up variations on the hemi theme for 1952-58 models. In 1964, when Chrysler needed a hot engine for stock car and drag racing, a second generation V-8 was introduced and a version informally called street hemi was offered to civilian Dodge and Plymouth buyers. My 1968 Hemi Road Runner generated a mighty 425 horsepower and ran over 110 mph in the quarter mile.
To find out how Chrysler's new 5.7-liter V-8 could be labeled Hemi in spite of the fact its combustion chambers look nothing like sliced grapefruit, I met with Bob Lee, Chrysler's vice president of powertrain product engineering.

Lee assured me no deception is afoot. The engineers responsible for Chrysler's new engine had better intentions than merely dusting off Hemis in the back of their closet. Early in the research phase, they discovered a combustion chamber that Porsche used for 1965-97 air-cooled 911s offered the ideal starting point for their new design. Porsche's head happened to be a hemi.

Engineers are not about to leave well enough alone so little from the Porsche design made the long trip to what's now called the 5.7-liter Hemi Magnum V-8. Much of the bowl area of the combustion chamber was filled in to encourage the fuel-air mixture to stir itself prior to ignition. The chamber is shallower than past Hemis so the top of the piston can be nearly flat, thereby saving reciprocating weight. The one vestige from Porsche's classic design is large valves rotated 90 degrees from the most common orientation (in a plane parallel to the crankshaft), and splayed at a 34.5-degree angle in the interests of free breathing.

The natural course of engineering evolution has moved Chrysler's hero powerplant far from its Porsche roots and severed all ties to the Hemis of yore. Even though it isn't a genuine hemi, this engine still packs a powerful punch as a marketing ploy.

Autoplay

Reaction score
Toyota back in the day,had a 4 banger that had a hemi “head” . It was a 1600 cc/2tc injun .. use to play with em etc....was an accomplishment,to bump em from 105 horsies to almost 150 horsies..... with minor adjustments(no port and polish tricks etc. )Several years they introduced a “federal” version of said injun....which had dual point set up for emmissions,if you knew what you we’re doing,you could use a dual point ignition system to your advantage. This was all in the day n age of carburation,no elec ignition or fuel injection etc.

sppb32

Reaction score
Not just the heads but the pistons have a hemispherical dome as well ( i worked on a few 5.7) unfortunately due to emissions control it will never be a pure Hemi engine.

itsjustme

Reaction score
I'm new to this and this a probably a stupid question...

I read that a hemi engine is defined by "a domed cylinder head". Since the Ford Coyote 5.0 also has a hemispherical shaped cylinder head, can the Coyote be classified as "hemi" also?
Yes, sorta. "hemi" on its own means nothing. Its trademark of FCA, but gos back to the 426 racing motor of the 60s with hemi-spherical combustion chambers. The 426 Hemi was a legend, but a high strung, mostly impractical one for anything other than a race car. the modern Hemis (5.7 and 6.2) are kinda hemispherical, but have nothing (little?) in common with the old orange blocked monsters. For starters they are 348 CID not 426 (which is just about 7 liters). They are also certainly NOT quite hermisperical, since they are flattened both by the valves and the squish. To get something approaching a heisphere, but with flat valves in it, th eoriginal Hemi was a 4-valve per cylinder design - one valuve per quadrant. The new one is a 2-valve design, so a large portion of that "sphere" must be flat. 'nuff said assuming we all know what a sphere is. Round, as in not flat :) That said, i'm not a modern Mopar guy - i kinda was in the late 60s and 70s when i grew up. Now i'm back in the fold with a RAM 1500. Nice motor either way. hope it holds up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread