5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this plastic piece?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't leave the truck outside at our house much. My wife noticed a squirrel jumping up into the engine bay (from below.) I used the key fob to honk the horn and scared him out, but noticed this on the ground in front of it. Is it part of my truck or just happened to be there? It does have a part number on it but Google doesn't reveal anything. 7174-1729 CAV5. 20230412_151638.jpg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like a cover for an unused electrical connector.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't leave the truck outside at our house much. My wife noticed a squirrel jumping up into the engine bay (from below.) I used the key fob to honk the horn and scared him out, but noticed this on the ground in front of it. Is it part of my truck or just happened to be there? It does have a part number on it but Google doesn't reveal anything. 7174-1729 CAV5. View attachment 156473
I don’t know what it is, but it’s part of the truck. Someone asked this exact same question about a year ago, and I can’t seem to find that thread. As I recall, no one was able to identify the part. So we all shrugged our shoulders and figured it was a random piece of junk. But since you have found the same thing, it’s got to be from the truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Toyotas have this cover over the ODB port. Not sure if ram did that at some point

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess the squirrel would have to have pulled it off. It wasn't directly under the truck. It was in front of the front bumper, on the ground. Unless it bounced that far.

It was a little dirty inside too. I wondered if it was a cap that was removed when the engine was assembled or installed and got left in there and it finally fell out. I couldn't see anything from below that looked like it would fit. Havent looked thoroughly from above.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never removed my tailgate but I will look back there.

I wonder if it came off a friend's truck and because it's the color of the concrete I just didn't notice it.
Definitely from your truck. I just found the old thread. Same exact part.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a plug cover from a wire harness when engines are shipped to final assembly. Generally those would go in a bin and likely shipped back to the supplier

And I guess I'm old... I got the ODB reference. 😄

Users who are viewing this thread