5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are these!?

BlackMaven23

Reaction score
I just purchased this used 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Equipment level A. I didn't think I had any sort of airbags until I heard a noise so I looked and found these. I can't find on the build sheet or in the cabin anything relating to them. So my question, are they after market? Are they an option? What's going on? Thanks! 20230501_153604.jpg 16829775816812808394272318339262.jpg

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet (2).pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased this used 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Equipment level A. I didn't think I had any sort of airbags until I heard a noise so I looked and found these. I can't find on the build sheet or in the cabin anything relating to them. So my question, are they after market? Are they an option? What's going on? Thanks! View attachment 157835 View attachment 157836
Those are aftermarket air bags.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome thank you! That would imply there would be a way to control the air compressor then right?
There will either be a schrader valve somewhere for you to manually fill it or a compressor. If it's like mine I have a compressor mounted to the frame under the driver side. Can either look around for the valve or follow the air hose connected to the bags.

Insanity

Reaction score
I think it's common place to keep at least 5psi in them when unloaded. At least that is what I read on forums and manuals when I had my 3rd gen.

BlackMaven23

Reaction score
Alright thanks a ton guys. I was able to connect the app, they were set at 50 psi. Apart from this I had ordered a leveling kit as it had a ton of front rake. Well with the psi set to 5 that dropped the rear end about 2 inches. I don't love that the previous owner was towing enough to put on aftermarket airbags but it only had 17k miles so I'm hoping it just didn't have enough juice so they upgraded to a Cummins.

Insanity

Reaction score
Should ride much nicer now that you set them at 5psi. Just curious did you happen to find that as the recommended spec or off my recommendation?

Its a nice upgrade if you plan to tow or haul heavy but I get your apprehension that they were put on there.

BlackMaven23

Reaction score
Should ride much nicer now that you set them at 5psi. Just curious did you happen to find that as the recommended spec or off my recommendation?

Its a nice upgrade if you plan to tow or haul heavy but I get your apprehension that they were put on there.
Sorry for the late reply, it was on the website but your comment gave me more confidence. If does ride fantastic.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright thanks a ton guys. I was able to connect the app, they were set at 50 psi. Apart from this I had ordered a leveling kit as it had a ton of front rake. Well with the psi set to 5 that dropped the rear end about 2 inches. I don't love that the previous owner was towing enough to put on aftermarket airbags but it only had 17k miles so I'm hoping it just didn't have enough juice so they upgraded to a Cummins.
I put my airbags on the truck after about 1000 miles. The coil springs tend to sag the rear end even with 400 pounds in the bed. They're just nice to have if you're towing/hauling heavy like a bed full of mulch or something, and you don't want to be staring at the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online